Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Minnie thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 18 years ago

Originally posted by: bluepink

i think it's time to move on. there is no point in living in the past and losing millions of brothers daily in the name of jihad. a piece of land has become a pride to both countries but do you think if kashmir is given independence all the trouble stops there? NO. the problems are deep rooted. political parties of both countries need a burning issue to keep their vote banks and kashmir issue is going to remain the same till we consider us human first and hindu-muslim after that.

I completely agreee with that. None of them are doing this for the good of the people of Kashmir or even their own country, rather the political parties of both the countries are more interested in keeping the common public's emotions engaged in the high drama of Kashmir issue to divert the attention away from more pressing need of development and keep their vote banks and power intact. The sad part is that now the turbulance of the petty fight between the two countries is now being used as a ruse for a breeding ground for the terrorists who bomb innocent people in shopping plazas and hospitals all around the world - not to fight or throw out an oppressor in some land, but to prove a point of political dominance.

seema_17 thumbnail

Originally posted by: mkzara

it might not be easy but a plebiscite is the way to go because that is the only way. war hasn't helped and talks haven't helped so everyone should just leave the kashmiri's alone and let them make their decision and then accept whatever it is.

Aparna_BD thumbnail
Hey guys , i went on the net to brush up my knowledege on this subject and found this very interesting legal document on Kashmir .

Maharaja's Accession offer to India .
http://www.kashmir-information.com/LegalDocs/112.html

This is Lord Mountbatten's response:
http://www.kashmir-information.com/LegalDocs/115.html

Will do more research tommorow and continue this discussion !!
😊 Edited by Aparna_BD - 18 years ago
jasunap thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
at this stage a plebicite can happen only if kashmir was back as it was before, the pakistan occupied kashmir and the china occupied kashmir will have to be vacated and the hardlines moved and infltration stopped and army go back and then yes a plebicite may be held!
Minnie thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: Aparna_BD

Hey guys , i went on the net to brush up my knowledege on this subject and found this very interesting legal document on Kashmir .

Maharaja's Accession offer to India .
http://www.kashmir-information.com/LegalDocs/112.html

This is Lord Mountbatten's response:
http://www.kashmir-information.com/LegalDocs/115.html

Will do more research tommorow and continue this discussion !!
😊

Hey I knew of the attacks in guise of tribals, the kidnaps and the plunder, I never read the accession letter.

Very few people, least of all the international media, know or acknowledge the stand or the plight of the people living in Balwaristan ( Pakistan occupied Kashmir) . The US, unfortunately, for it's own advantage, has continuously overlooked the larger interest of that region. I found the main page of the Balwaristan National Party, as well as a paper by Abdul Hamid Khan, the chairman of the Balwaristan National Front.

http://www.balawaristan.net/english.htm

http://www.saag.org/papers7/paper631.html

US wanted Pakistan's help in the 80s to oust Russia from Afganistan. So they ran a covert CIA operation from the late 70s to the late 80s arming the rebels of Afganistan with the help of Pakistan Intelligence Agencies. After USSR decided to leave Afganistan under the new premier Gorvachov, US still did not beleive USSR and continued to supply weapons to the rebels there, leading to a complete anarchy in the state, as it was only the hardliners who got the support from the US, and the liberals, who were also the communists, got no support. Later on, when the US realised the withdrawl of USSR are real, they made a cease fire. But by that time, it was too late. The chaos and law lessness in Afganistan was beyond repair.

The result was Taliban, who for financial gain, made an uneasy alliance with the Al Quida. Osama was not wanted either by Soudi or by Sudan due to his anti West activities and killings all around the world in the name of religious and cultural war. Talibal gave him shelter in return for his money and man power against the Nothern rebels under Masood. Al Quida continued to plan attacks all round the world sitting in Afganistan. On Sept 9th 2001, in the guise of journalists, Ahmed Shah Masood, the leader of the rebels against the Taliban, was killed by Al Quida. Taliban rejoiced as they became the sole rulers of Afganistan. Two days later Al Quida bombed New York World Trade Centre. The rest, as they say, is history. ( Incidently they showed all this on the History Channel yesterday and blasted US for it's role in the war against the Russians and their continue supply of ammunitions to one hardcore party who later on misused and sold them to wrong people ).

After Taliban ouster, Al Quida ran to the mountains in the borders of Afganistan and Pakistan. US still needs Pakistan's help in flushing out the militants. Pakistan's ISI is not helping the govt by siding with the extremist (that itself is another issue altogether) .

In such a scenario, it only helps the govt to keep the Kashmir issue alive. Pakistan also needs this area of Kashmir as it is the border to Russia and China and hence the trade route too. So it certainely does not suit it to let the people of that region decide what they truly want.

Edited by Minnie - 18 years ago
Willows thumbnail
I believe the fight between India and Pakistan is more to do with politics rather than anything else, I believe the politicians across both the countries are more interested in keeping the issue alive and do politics instead of really trying to resolve the issue for if the issue is indeed resolved than the politicians would have no role to play in sole called peace process and CBM (confidence building measures), their roles would be restricted if there are no terrorists and infiltrators across the borders.

I feel the people of both the countries really do not have any hatred towards each other, infact if I remember history properly Pakistan was part of India and my father and grandfather's had to migrate from Karachi to Mumbai due to communal riots after partition.

I believe the initial divide was created by divide and rule policy of then British raj, they wanted to divide Indians on the basis of caste and religion so as to avoid united India against them, however subsequent to Britishers leaving the country, there have been at least three wars between the two countries on various issues and the biggest was indeed in 1971, when India tacitly supported formation of Bangladesh (East Pakistan).

Infact the division of East Pakistan was matter of time for it was very difficult for then united Pakistan to geographically maintain, east pakistan whose three borders were surrounded by India.

I would say both the countries are equally responsible for the current situation, though the people of both countries if they join together, we would have a real paradise called Kashmir, infact the culture, language, food, music and many things are same and indeed if they come together it would be a blessing for both the countries. Edited by Willows - 18 years ago
mkzara thumbnail

I keep repeating this again and again and again but no one seems to listen i dont think kashmir should be with pakistan i think it should be with whoever it want to be with and i understand that the voting or plebiscite would be hard so u first have one to see what percentage of people want what. i know that there r hindus and muslims and budhists and the results wont be fair due to these issues but we need to atleast try to find out what the people want. i dont think anyone is ready to accept self autonomy for kashmir and i believe that if they want to be separate from both india and pakistan and have an all inclusive government then that's great. it should just be that no matter where kashmir goes the other minorities have to be protected so why not let them have their own country where they can protect all the minorities.

P.S is it okay to buy and sell beef in india?

Edited by mkzara - 18 years ago
seema_17 thumbnail
everyone... don't forget to read the legal documents posted by our very own Aparna. it may clear up MANY misconceptions and it will be easy to debate the topic once this confusion is cleared up. and Aparna i must say that was some very splendid and insightful research that u brought to our notice. my sincere thanks to you.. 👏 👏 👏