Frequent Posters

laxmi2010 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 13 years ago

Tum Kaun Ho?

A Maaneet Fan Fic

Chapter 1
Oct. 29, 2010 8:00 pm

Geet walked down the corridor towards her office, wanting to check and make sure that everything was completed before heading for home. She was almost inside the room when she noticed the light shining out from under Maan's office door. That was strange. Even her workaholic boss was finished by this time at night. What could he still be doing there? Maybe he needed some help. She would go see.

Geet walked the few feet towards her boss' office, and felt a strange apprehension. She couldn't say exactly what was bothering her, but something didn't feel right. When she opened the door she saw the familiar sight of his office. It was in many ways a typical office, a desk, a computer, chairs, shelves, all the things you would expect. There were also things that were unexpected. Large french doors provided an exit to the enormous outdoor patio. An entire wall was dedicated to bookshelves filled with books. The focal point of the room was the enormous marble fireplace, that for as many months as she had worked in this house, and for this man, Geet had never seen being used. Nor had she seen the man in question, Maan Singh Khurana, standing in front of his fireplace, holding a glass in his hand, and staring blankly into the flames.

As Geet continued to take in the scene, she noticed that Maan had taken off his suit coat, which he always insisted on wearing even though he worked from home, and had draped it and his tie across one of the couches. She also saw the bottles placed on the fireplace mantle, one empty, another half full, and the third unopened. When Geet saw Maan lift his glass unsteadily towards his lips, and down the entire contents, she gasped, bringing her hands to her mouth in shock. What was he trying to do?

Seeing him grab the open bottle and pour more of the dark liquid into his cup, Geet couldn't stand there silent anymore. She rushed into the room, saying loudly, "Sir, what are you doing?"

Maan turned and glared at Geet angrily. "What are you doing here, Handa?" he asked harshly, placing his free hand on the mantle for support.

Geet just looked at him shocked, unable to reconcile the disheveled, drunk man, with her silent, aloof boss. Maan barely gave a thought to her lack of answer, and took hold of the bottle, filling up his glass once again. As he brought it up to his lips, Geet came out of her trance and grabbed his arm, holding tightly, trying to prevent the downward spiral she sensed he was moving towards.

Maan looked at the hands that were stopping him, and then face of the person they belonged to, and felt the emotion start to boil in him. "What do you think you are doing?"

"Sir, how can you do this? If Dadi saw you, what would happen?"

"I don't answer to Dadi." Maan pulled his arm out of Geet' grip and lifted the glass to his mouth, downing the contents before Geet could stop him.

"What about JD? How could you do this when he is around?"

Maan gritted his jaw in anger and threw the glass into the fireplace with all his force. It shattered on impact, and Geet winced at the display of violence. She was just about to take a step back when Maan seized her by the shoulders and pulled her roughly towards himself.

"Who do you think you are? No one tells Maan Singh Khurana what to do! No one. You work for me. You are paid for that work, not to judge my actions."

Geet couldn't believe what was happening. In all the time she had known him, Maan had never once touched her. Now his fingers were digging into her flesh and he was looking at her as if he wanted to commit her murder. It was so shocking, that she didn't even try to struggle. All she could do was stand there, her face inches away from his own, trapped in his punishing embrace.

"You think you know me? You think you understand me? You know nothing, understand nothing. And how could you? You're a woman. Women are nothing but materialistic, treacherous, heartless deceivers, who think only for themselves. They don't care who they trample or the amount of pain they cause, as long as they get what they want. They'll do anything for money, lie, cheat, steal, even sell themselves. Worthless trash!"

During his rant, Geet had seen Maan's eyes become wilder with each word. His fingers pressed angrily into her flesh, and she knew she would find nasty bruising later. When he started to pull her even closer, her heart started to pound, and she was afraid, not of him surprisingly, but of what she would do if he took his assault further. She couldn't let that happen, in an almost instinctive action, she raised her hand and slapped his face as hard as she could.

Maan smiled, almost evilly, looking at her with contempt, before thrusting her away from him. "The truth hurts, doesn't it?"

Geet had never thought that her boss could behave in such a way, or speak such words. With her voice trembling in outrage, she replied, "I don't care what you say to me, but that you could utter those words in this house. The house where your grandmother lives, the woman who has spent your whole life caring for you, wanting only your happiness. It's disgusting!"

Geet's words penetrated his enraged brain, but instead of causing him remorse, they only fueled his anger more. Geet could see his pulse throbbing on his neck, and for a moment she wondered if she actually should be afraid of him truly harming her. That moment was short, for he thrust her away from him with such force, that she lost her balance and fell to the floor.

"Get out," he said softly, his voice now like ice, when before it had been like fire.

"Sir..."

"GET OUT!"

She left. Quickly gathering her things, she hurried to leave, not even giving Nakul her customary good-bye. She didn't know what else to do, but pray that the situation got no worse than it already was.

Alone again, Maan jerked the bottle off the mantle and drank directly from it, in no mood to go get another glass. As he felt the smooth liquid burn as it traveled down his throat, he wished that it would burn him. Burn him until he was so numb, he would never feel again.

How dare she question him! No one questions Maan Singh Khurana. No one. What did she know of him or his pain? What did she know of pain, period? Women were masters at inflicting pain, but had no capacity to feel it themselves. Maan didn't want to think of his assistants words anymore. He didn't want to think. All he wanted was oblivion and the freedom it offered. Freedom from pain.

As she sat on the bus, riding home, Geet tried to keep her tears from falling as she recalled Maan's words. "You think you know me? You think you understand me?" he asked. He thought she didn't understand him. How she wished she could tell him he was wrong. She wished she could tell him that she knew why he said the words he did. That she knew why he was in so much pain. That she knew why he had been drinking so heavily, tonight of all nights. She wished she could tell him that alcohol wasn't the solution to his problems. But she couldn't. They didn't have the kind of relationship where she could tell him any of that. He was right when he asked who she thought she was. She was his employee. That's all she will ever be.

Edited by laxmi2010 - 13 years ago
JanuaryEmbers thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
wow that first part was incredible! I can't wait to read more!!!
mrk-1 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
awsome one yaar..loved it ... nice start yaar,,,, cant get the background things,,,update sooon ,,,continue your pms too😊
-Zahra15- thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
the fist prt wz simply brilliant😊...vry nicely written..i wonder y maan is drinking so much....frm his wrds it seems that he has been deceived by a woman....bt still he was so mean 2 geet.....i so wanna no wat cud hv happened.....n btw who is this JD................POOR GEET .....she must have felt so hurt by the harsh words of maaan especially wen she has done nothing...nyways continue soon.......

......n plzzzzzzzz add me 2 ur PM list..........

....zahra....
taanni thumbnail

hey great start, didn't get a pm though, but found your neww ff now.

nice start, looking forward to more....

vishruti.siri thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
hi  awesome start ,why was MAAN in such state  please reveal it soon dying to know😊
please add me to ur PM LIST.
THANKS👏😉👏
nisha_hc_bs_dd thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 3 Thumbnail
amazing start!!! waiting to read further and discover the pain Maan is going through now and also know who JD is?

Lovely fiction👏👍🏼
pop77 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Nice start..story seems interesting..
waiting for next part..
KavyaNaik123 thumbnail
wow,,,,that was soooooooo gud,,update the next part sooon,,kkkkkkkk