Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Posted: 14 years ago

Kajol rejected Vikram Phadnis' adaptation of Stepmom but said yes to KJo's

By: Tushar Joshi Date:  2009-05-21
discuss news article
print news article
email news article

Mumbai: 

In the end, Kajol picked Karan Johar (as opposed to working with a newbie) yet again. The actress, who was approached first by designer Vikram Phadnis to star in an adaptation of Susan Sarandon-Julia Roberts starrer Stepmom, turned him down at the time citing date problems. As is now confirmed, Karan Johar will produce a remake of the film with Kajol and Kareena in the lead roles. 

Dreams dashed
A source reveals, "Vikram has been working on his script for a very long time. In fact, it has been ready for over a year and he's busy trying to get the right actors on board. His dream team included Madhuri Dixit and Kads . He even approached them. But now, with Kajol saying yes to KJo, Phadnis has backed off." 
The source adds that the designer was shocked when he read that Kajol agreed to be a part of Karan's remake while declining to be a part of his. "It is obvious that Kajol said yes to Karan because of her friendship with him. She treats him like family, so agreeing to do the film came quite naturally." 

Makes no sense now
Vikram confirms he was working on an adaptation of the film, "I had the script ready but it wasn't a remake. It was more of an adaptation on the lines of the original film. However, since Karan has the rights to the film, I have given up the project. He's a dear friend and it doesn't make sense for me to pursue the same story." 
Phadnis adds that the Stepmom adaptation took up a major chunk of his time. "The last 10 months of my life were taken up by this film. Now I plan to get back to taking on more films. Besides Dulha Mil Gaya, I am also working on Rohit Shetty's All The Best." 

Glossy up next
However, he doesn't plan to give up his filmi ambitions as yet. "I definitely want to get into filmmaking. Since Stepmom didn't work out, I have another script with me that was to be my second film. It is getting doctored and worked upon. The film will have a very glossy and elaborate feel to it." 

No hard feelings
Lastly, when asked if he feels any remorse on losing out on Stepmom he adds, "Well, if I made the film it would be silly. Since Karan has the actual rights and is going ahead with his project, I wish him the very best and will now work on my second script."

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

pksanam thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
why don't they come up with something original rather than making 'adaptations', so called... i am sick and tired of it..!!!

of course, kajol said yes to karan as she is close to him... no surprises there... she's not exactly actively pursuing her career in bolly, now is she..

i do hope karan makes a good movie that is worth watching..

i'm really put off by ideas of remakes/adaptations..!
Zareena thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
I don't like Kajol Kareena Combination at ALL!! Not even adaptation stepmom. We need more movies like Chak De and A wednesday.
pksanam thumbnail

Originally posted by: Zareena

I don't like Kajol Kareena Combination at ALL!! Not even adaptation stepmom. We need more movies like Chak De and A wednesday.

i'm not keen on it either..!!  kajol has said yes only because of karan... i'll watch it only for kajol, that is for certain..!! 
Zareena thumbnail

Originally posted by: pksanam

i'm not keen on it either..!! kajol has said yes only because of karan... i'll watch it only for kajol, that is for certain..!!

Same here. I watched Fanaa only for kajol, is kareena confirmed for the movie? Karan hasn't announced anything yet.
pksanam thumbnail

Same here. I watched Fanaa only for kajol, is kareena confirmed for the movie? Karan hasn't announced anything yet.

apparently it seems to be... i think desu posted an article on it... but i'm not sure if that was an announcement from karan or not...

in any case, i'm not in any hurry to watch any movie.. as of now, i don't know if i want to see ANY movie at all in theatres or not.... so the strike can go on till the end of year for all i care.. ðŸ˜³ðŸ˜³
Zareena thumbnail
^^😔

2009 has been worst year for Bollywood.
pksanam thumbnail

^^😔

2009 has been worst year for Bollywood.

sorry zaru.. i'm not in the best of moods as of now..!  😳😳

i'm so happy Harry Potter is coming this July... something to look forward to....

also, love aaj kal is the another release i'm really looking forward to..  imli is making it and i'm hoping it'll live up to it's expectations.. i'm gonna wait till reviews are in for all movies, though..!

and vishal's movie kaminey... other than that, i think i better plan more vacation time..!  lolz..

I loved her with kareena in K3G both are funny..as for this it sounds more like someone jumping on the bandwagon for 2 mins of fame.