^^!!DOTW!!^^ Production Cost Worth/Waste??

ammoos thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 13 years ago

hello all welcome to the Discussion topic for this week.

We all know that these days the production cost for an average movie crosses even a crore. With makers going abroad for just a song sequence to the whole song to all the songs in a movie and plus the actors charges  and other costs.

Whatever.. my question is do we get to see anything that worth the money spend on to make a movie???

Is it ok to go anywhere and spend as many just for the songs when  many of the songs are not even related to that movie an the situations are just made just to add thesong into it???

At the end of the day do we get the actual entertainment we are expecting??

I hope it makes sense. feel free to discuss/agree/disagree.

Please remember that this is just a discusion and not a topic to create fights so please stay within the forum rules while commenting😳

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

supercool3 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Interesting topic

I think the whole idea of spending big bucks on these movies just goes along with the new angle that's being explored in cinema these days -- that is the glamour angle which is a pretty popular thing these days.

I don't think that it is bad to spend all this money on a movie. Actually I prefer it then before where it was such a big deal to spend soo much on a movie.

It's  nice to see that they are willing to take major risks.. and are also trying to reach international standards along with it. But at the same time, it's important that they don't lose out on the storyline by worrying too much about the extras.

Soo basically... them trying to take these huge steps.. in a way it's good because they are trying their best to improve their market quality. But at the same time, it's also important that the cast and crew responsible due utilize it to full extent and also manage to come out with a hit.
ammoos thumbnail
I think this espense is a bit over the top.. Its suitable for SOME movie but not all the ones.. yes agree that it does add the glamour factor.. but when a story is happening in somesub-urban area what is the need of the song to go to some swiss or vienna.

There was a mallu movie on a girl's dilemms coz her step father waseyeing and literally exploiting her with his EYES and its a very sensitive issue and the lead kids are just 15-16yrs old and first of all the songs were not needed at all and then it was all shot in some virgin islands abroad which I feel was totally unnecessary..
sand14 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
Yes I agree with you all. Its totally unnecessary to shoot a song abroad when the story is totally not related to it, eg a village story. But the glam factor and the expectations of the audience drive them to compulsorily have it, even though its not imperative.

If you notice, director Shankar always seems to create a super expensive set to shoot a song or have that song shot abroad in all his movies. He is known to make films with record breaking budgets. He doesn't seem to care about the production costs and all and he's sure that the audience will like it. That's just his style, I guess. However, I haven't seen him take a village based story, so I'm not sure if he'll employ the same tactics.

Edited by khpriya - 13 years ago
ammoos thumbnail
All Shankar directed movies cross the huge budget border while his own production house makes low budget village stiries. Well wouldn't it be called a double standard πŸ€”
isomers thumbnail
I feel it's a total waste of money. What a good movie really needs is a strong story, and a good cast. The rest is just fluff used to attract audience?πŸ€”

Take "Happy Days" for example, they don't go to any foreign country to shoot, even for a roadtrip, they just go to Vizag or something. The movie was like the biggest hit of the year, not because of the glam but because of the story. Simplicity at it's best.

If the songs, music, and lyrics are good enough..then forget Swiss or Australia, the song will be a superhit even if its shot in the middle of the street somewhere. πŸ˜†
supercool3 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
well yea.. obviously not every movie needs it...
and even when some directors want to do that stuff... it should suit the storyline.. plus the person responsible should be able to make the movie a hit..

like you guys said.. it would be really weird to have random foreign songs when the movie has a complete different feel to it... and that's what i meant when i said the cast and crew who are doing big budget films should be able to make the movie a hit.. and not waste all money that has been invested into it.. and this is where strong storylines come into play

overall.. there's nothing wrong in big budget films.. in a way they do help the industry if they become hits.. obviously it's another story if those films flop miserably... but that's mainly the reason that not all films have high budgets

Edited by supercool3 - 13 years ago
sand14 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
Yea that's true ammoos. I guess that's how he makes money right?? πŸ˜› He'll work on huge budget films as long as he's not the producer. But almost all his high budget films have been super duper hits, so no problems I guess.
_Manpreet_ thumbnail
Thanks for the interesting post daa Uma...

First of all, I'm an avid watcher of reality movies, based in madurai, like Kadhal, naadodigal, subramaniyapuram.  Many of these movies tend to be low budget... and they solely rely on the story and the character sketch (since many of the artists are new)... These movies have become super hits as well... even without any over seas song sequence (which often gets fastfowarded in my house 😭😭...)

On the contray, we also have very high budget films.......there is no problem with that, as long as they earn more than the money spend for the film πŸ˜›...