Can money buy you happiness and love? - Page 6

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Posted: 14 years ago
I'm actually not surprised that the level of discussion on this august 'debate mansion' is as I expected ... that said ...

True happiness comes from doing things that you love and being able to express the things that your passionate about. A big house can't do that for you, and neither can an expensive car. They might look nice and they may make you more popular, but they will not make you happy if your dreams are less superficial.

While I was not surprised above, I am now ... how is 'true happiness' to be defined much less quantified?  If, in this example of yours, a big house and expensive car is the stuff of someone's dream, and they are passionate about those things, then their acquisition will almost certainly result in 'true happiness' ...  I wonder if you're confusing that addled notion of 'materialism' with that other confusing notion called 'spiritualism' ... I see nothing wrong with the former and believe the latter to require considerable rework and reformulation to bring it up to date with the 21st century ... I personally would not buy a 'big-house' because it's an ecologically unsound approach ... but expensive cars?  Well ... I may draw the line there 😊

So many Americans struggle with paying bills and making ends meet.
Money can protect you from the financial worries that so many Americans face today.

Now my curiosity is seriously piqued ... I always wonder at the aplomb with which 'Americans' are brushed off as the best example of the worst in human-kind ... do you live in America?  Where is the data to support your assertions/hypotheses?  I'm hardly suggesting that there aren't people in this country who struggle through life (and in that they're not unique, a surplus/surfeit of money notwithstanding) ...

While I will not debate the merits/demerits of money as an economist (I doubt if they too could do a comprehensive assessment), from personal experience, money is a damn good thing ... as a means to ends ... I've indulged myself to no end on what I have earned to experience more of the cultural and physical offerings of this planet than I could ever have imagined ... therein lay 'true happiness' for me ...

I've always mused about what it might be like to have the kind of bank balance with an unimaginable number of zeroes after the requisite digit from the 1 <= x <= 9 range ... think of the scale at which real good could be done ... which is where Americans excel - philanthropy and the preservation of the planet's wealth ...
Edited by SValeCalGal - 14 years ago
Jess. thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
I dont think money can get you Love, but it does give happiness for a short period of time. You're happy with your new object but after a while it gets "old" and you want a newer object to make you happy again.

Its not true happiness but i guess it depends if someone gave you something special and you love it cause of that...idk
debayon thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
On a serious note, I think it depends on the kind of person you are. If you're materialistic, then yes, money does buy love and happiness but if you're not, then maybe not. It may depend on how the person is and the quality he/she has and if he/she has the same feelings for you. If all goes well, then it leads to love, which leads to happiness. So, love and happiness are also interconnected.
Summer3 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: debayon

On a serious note, I think it depends on the kind of person you are. If you're materialistic, then yes, money does buy love and happiness but if you're not, then maybe not. It may depend on how the person is and the quality he/she has and if he/she has the same feelings for you. If all goes well, then it leads to love, which leads to happiness. So, love and happiness are also interconnected.

Quite true.
Sometimes Money can also invite problems and murders out of greed or jealousy.
It is good not to show off one's wealth and keep a low profile.

Watch CID episodes for more evidence.😆
debayon thumbnail

Originally posted by: Summer3

Quite true.

Sometimes Money can also invite problems and murders out of greed or jealousy.

It is good not to show off one's wealth and keep a low profile.

Watch CID episodes for more evidence.😆

Yes, although CID has become too monotonous with murders because of money. 😆
Summer3 thumbnail

Originally posted by: debayon

Yes, although CID has become too monotonous with murders because of money. 😆

Yes Khatarnak khooni ko jail mein bait kar sochna padega aur badh mein phansi milega.😆
The Blind Hospital Murder case was not bad.
Edited by Summer3 - 14 years ago
debayon thumbnail

Originally posted by: Summer3

Yes Khatarnak khooni ko jail mein bait kar sochna padega aur badh mein phansi milega.😆
<div>The Blind Hospital Murder case was not bad.

Ssriously Summer ji, you should watch the old ones. Those are worth watching. Anyways, I guess we are spamming the place. 😆
Summer3 thumbnail
[QUOTE=debayon]
<div>The Blind Hospital Murder case was not bad.
[/QUOTE
 Ssriously Summer ji, you should watch the old ones. Those are worth watching. Anyways, I guess we are spamming the place. 😆[/QUOT

We are on the topic of Wealh and corruption.
 Rupaih se bahut pyar milti lekin aisa pyar temporary hai, jab rupiah nahi to udd jata hai.
isliye you need more money.

But will watch older ones too. ok 
We are on the topic of Wealh and corruption.
 Rupaih se bahut pyar milti lekin aisa pyar temporary hai, jab rupiah nahi to udd jata hai.
isliye you need more money.

But will watch older ones too. ok 

*Viewbies note: Edited unwarranted sarcasm and mocking of others*
Edited by return_to_hades - 14 years ago
Khatarnak thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
The idea of money buying happiness is interesting. Yes, most people feel they do need more money to be happy, but what is that "happiness" they are speaking of? If that idea means owning newer appliances than before, then money can buy you happiness. If that idea is going out to eat dinner more often, then money can buy you happiness. But, if happiness is truly living one's life to the fullest, then money cannot buy happiness. People know that this idea of happiness is materialistic and shallow, and they are quick to point it out in others, but cannot see it in themselves. Money cannot buy happiness, unless happiness is measured by possessions.