Was Dil To Pagal... about SRK-Karishma friendship than SRK-Madhuri rom

Posted: 2 years ago

I find the film actually was about friendship between SRK-Karishma more than romance between SRK-Madhuri. 

I feel Yash Chopra chopped off many scenes between SRK and Madhuri and focused on SRK's relation with Karishma in the film. 

Don't know about that, but wanted him to end up with Karishma instead of Madhuri.

Apparently, Karishma was supposed to get less screentime than she did, but Yash Chopra was so impressed with her performance that he gave her a meatier role than originally planned. Still, I don't think the main focus was about their friendship because the message of the film was clearly about finding 'the one'.

Edited by DriftInfinitely - 2 years ago

Can't say much about that. But their's was such a beautiful bond. I was so sad to see Rahul ending up with Pooja. Like honestly which guy in his right mind would choose Pooja over Nisha is still my question 🥱

I don't know what the movie was supposed to be about. But DTPH was a rare instance where Madhuri Dixit was completely overshadowed. Karishma was so compelling in the movie that everyone rooted for her. 

Is it just me who considers KKHH as a sequel to DTPH? Because I so wanted Karishma to get to end up with her love...😭

Edited by cutejodikangal - 2 years ago

Originally posted by Mugda

I find the film actually was about friendship between SRK-Karishma more than romance between SRK-Madhuri. 

I feel Yash Chopra chopped off many scenes between SRK and Madhuri and focused on SRK's relation with Karishma in the film. 

I remember at the time these rumours were there. In early 1997 during filming, Karisma had won the Best Actress award, and she had 4-5 Big Hit Films under her belt in the space of a year. At the same time, Madhuri unfortunately had a disastrous 1996. (DTPH began shooting in 1995 when Madhuri was on a mega high).

The rumours were that Yash-ji gave Karisma some extra scenes, and re-shot parts of the film with her in it. Did they re-do Le Gayi?? I did hear that but can't remember the sauce.

It's cute how everyone roots for the underdog: Karisma in DTPH, Rani in KKHH. A minority of fans wish SRK chose them instead of Madhuri + Kajol

But to answer your question: No. The film wasn't about Karisma's friendship. It was all about Maya "Mera Naam POOJA Hai" Dixit ❤️

God knows what that movie about, the whole "Maya Maya" thing always threw me off.

Great soundtrack thou

it was more about Madhuri's blouse/suit designs (don't want to use the actual term). Indian attire to demonstrate her sweet lovely nature but dupatta is not helping her at all.

Wish it was, would've aged better.