Naina&Sameer FF Chapter 6 (Lost & Found)New! PG 5

Sairandhri thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 6 years ago
Yeh Un Dino Ki Baat Hai

I stand at the edge of the world, gazing out from my balcony I see the rushing forth fast forward frenzy of the modern global world saturated in bluntness of unnatural lights, crowds of people scrambling past in a mad dash heads buried deep in the latest gadgets of this technology obsessed world imprisoned within their fancy cars all with the urgency to get somewhere fast. Even talk itself is digitalised, via our WhatsApps, Facebooks, Skype. Empty words exchanged in brief over a screen.
I am a witness to the transfigurement of this now hollow alienated world. 
Not like  those days, where time was stretched out, things floating in their own space and matter, unravelling at a pace of their own, the sheer innocence and beauty of simplistic times where even the most menial things were imbued with wonderment. And where I discovered what it felt like to love someone.
 There was no obvious beginning to demarcate the previous decade from the new events that seeped into one another so naturally as if they were always existing. 
Except for the internal change that was happening in me.. Call it adolescent innocence, coming of age, hormonal change maybe. Alll I know is my change was delineated when he'd stepped into my town, into my life.

Chapter 1: Chewing Gum

The radio blasted out the soundtrack with the background static. It didnt deter Naina
from turning up the volume and launching into a dance. She wasn't sure why perhaps there was something about the autumnal air that incited in her this odd indescribable happiness. As if something special was about to happen, she could feel it, filling the air with sweet hope..
Gazab ka hai din socho zara, yeh deewanapan dekho zara...
Preeti shook her head and smiled at her cousin no less than a sister to one another twirling around on the street and joined in with her while the they were met with the cynical eyes of some elderly onlookers. 
When the novelty of the track was wearing off mainly due to the growing distortion of the radio the girls hopped onto their cycles once more. They passed the monumental billboard paintings of bollywood giants, now showing Maine Pyar Kiya, past the video cassette stores that cropped up here and there, the sweet waft of freshly made hot savouries and sweets emanating from the modest stalls at every corner of the streets travelled to keen senses. Outdoor parlors and barbers were already bursting with business, the corrugated shops starting to slide open ready for the days trade, throngs of people wanting to make a phone call from telephone booths with queues that stretched from one end of the street to the other, the town was alive, a bustling atmosphere with modest means that glowed with energy where everyone knew everyone else.
The clang of the symbals resonated across the hall to announce the start of school as swarms of students made their way to their respective classes. As Naina walked in the class was in its pre mode chaos from the absence of the teacher who was yet to arrive. Some boys were fabricating a game of cricket using scrunched up balls of paper and rulers scoring 6s across the room to each other while some lounged on the desks making good opportunity for snacking, and a few girls were giggling over the content in their magazines. 
Naina sat in her usual place next to Swati.
'Why have you got a headband?' She enquired of her bestie. Swati looked around suspiciously ducking slightly to make sure no one was watching.
'Look..check out my new hair cut'. She  loosened her hair and curly styled tresses fell down to her shoulders. 
'Wow Swati, step cut, it looks amazing!' She exclaimed.
'I know!!! And Deepak started to sing a song for me! Kehdo ko tum, ho meri
warna, jeena nahin mujhe hain..' She sang while making dramatic gestures to the lyrics.
'Who's Deepak?'
'Deepak yaar! The one who looks like Anil Kapoor!!! Naina you should get one too!'
Naina shrugged. What would be the use. She was a college student and her aim was clear, to get through it with flying colours. She didnt have time for haircuts and that kind of thing. Besides her family would have their say as always and she didnt want any trouble over a haircut.
 'Anyways come on Swati lets not time waste, Shanti teacher will be here soon'. She said hurriedly setting about the organisation of her books.
In Vidya Praghati school the correlation between boys being better in maths than girls all came down to only one thing..Shanti teacher entered the room and all the boys immediately stopped, cheesy grins stapled to their faces. Maths had fast become a well loved subject indeed and actually managed to secure good attention from the most careless and rowdiest lot of boys including the Munna/Pandit lot. 
Naina heard a fragment of the gangs hushed conversation, something to do with not minding Shanti teacher giving them a kind of 'lesson' and rolled her eyes. 
The students came to collect their paper one by one as Miss Shanti called out their names.
'Kya hua? Jao.' She said to Pandit who was still standing dumb in front of his teacher clutching his paper before he left with slunken shoulders at her quick dismissal.
Naina had examined her paper a little disheartened to see she hadn't scraped higher marks even though she'd been sure of her answers. Yet on reviewing it again she found an error and highlighted it for Miss Shanti who beamed at her, impressed with her sharpness and self belief. The boys at the table gave looks of envy, more from the fact that Naina was being praised by Shanti teacher than to her receiving the top score.
Naina felt like this was occasion to celebrate. After school she set out with Chachi and Preeti to the market in view of snacking on pani puris. The girls were bedecked in their 90s finery of long flowing dresses' skirts, heavy shouldered blouses in chiffon and satin with bright colours and garish designs, for in those days even something commonplace like going to the market was a big thing. 
Naina felt a whiff of the savouries being freshly fried and headed over. She was completely rapt in conversation with Preeti when she felt a gentle breeze ruffle against her hair and at the same moment brushed against a guy who was walking past her. The guy had raised his hands up in irritation at Naina whose back was now to him and who had without looking almost bumped into him, he brushed his hand across his hair watching her from behind in expectation that she may turn round to apologise, she didnt so he turned his back to her continuing his merry way. After walking a few steps forward an odd instinct compelled Naina to stop in her tracks and turn on her heel to catch a glimpse of the person she had just brushed past but only saw the back of him, his hair flying with every step he took and then he vanished from sight disappearing around a corner. Naina turned back again feeling an odd sensation of wonder as Preeti continued her chatter.
As they were heading home a boy ran up to Naina, a note in his hand. She opened it to discover the word 'Sorry' written on the gum wrapper. She followed where the boy was pointing and saw an arm waving as a taxi drove him away and looked at the wrapper again finding a sketch.
'Chewing gum?!' Naina exclaimed in horror. 
Preeti looked at her and gaped
'What?..Ugh how did that get there?!' 
Naina looked at Preeti wide eyed and bewildered. The only way to get that gum out was to have a haircut. Back then it was no small matter.
That evening Naina sat on her bed a worrisome look on her as she fiddled with the gum stuck to her hair braid. 
'What am I to do with this troublesome gum?!'
'Its true, pyaar ka yehi nishani wont be a secret for too long' Preeti joked gesturing to her hair and echoing the story retelling on the radio.
' Are you serious? All thanks to some unknown stranger I am in such trouble.'
'No one will find out. Listen, if a pen can change a 7 to 17 then a scissors can do no less"
'Wait..you are implying I should cut off my hair??' 
And she did with Preeti's help who would go onto become Ahmedabad's best hairdresser, who would have thought that her sisters flair for this hobby turned goal traced back to the humble beginnings of her own home with just a pair of scissors and Naina herself as her first customer.

The following morning Naina wore her schoolgirl headband but on insistence from her sister took it off. 
'Naina meri behna, I didnt give you a haircut just so you could hide behind it. Come on, flaunt it like you mean it' barrettes off too girl.' 
With reluctance Naina undid her newly cropped hair which fell out in waves and gracefully came to rest upon her shoulders. The wind whipped it back and forth into a gentle rhythm and all eyes fell on her as she walked with Preeti. Even the regular jokers in her class had to do a double take, mouths gaping wide as they stared at Naina walking by while she was met with some looks of envy and disgust from the gossipers. Preeti smiled proudly and Swati gave her a thumbs up. 
'Yes Naina, Madhuri Dixit style!' 
Naina felt uncomfortable doing the walk to the classroom, it wasnt her and she wanted to save her hair for something special. Today wasn't that day. But Naina just knew that something was different. Something was going to change, and it wasn't her hair that marked this feeling she had. She didnt know what it was. 

Edited by Sairandhri - 6 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Sairandhri thumbnail
Hello guys
Please feedback let me know if you enjoy it!
I wanted to dapple in a bit of fan fiction having been inspired after watching this beautiful serial. The characters are fascinating and their chemistry is real so Im looking forward to writing on that.
Thanks for reading!
braveheartdoc thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Welcome here to this lovely forum...😊
I went through the first part of your OS and you reminded me of the first episode of the show...you have penned it down really nicely...Loved to read itπŸ˜ƒπŸ‘

Thanks for writing...do continue soonπŸ˜ƒπŸ€—
Sairandhri thumbnail
Thankyou for appreciating it! I aim to write it this way only rather than create extra scenarios as I feel there is a lot to be explored from even the most fleeting of moments between our lovely leads.
TereLiyeMINU thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Hello Dear 😊 Welcome to forum.The writing was simply marvellous with the whip of nostalgia.The memories of first episode just cropped up.Yes something was definite to change and change for better something beautiful and sweeter. πŸ˜ƒ Keep Writing.Update soon.Eagerly waiting 😳
Sairandhri thumbnail
Thankyou! I intend on continuing till we are up to date with the serial and will focus on Naina and Sameer so lots of the other bits may be cut out.
DevVarunChandni thumbnail
So cute beginning just like the serial eagerly waiting for next part...Good jodπŸ‘πŸΌ
Sairandhri thumbnail

Chapter 2- Antakshari

Speakers exploded announcing the arrival of the circus troupe to their town. As the colourful, eccentric looking characters rolled out of their flashy pimped up taxi into the street Naina and Preeti grew excited and asked the flour seller to hold onto their tiffins. In those days entertainments like these caused a stir, these were occasions uniting all sorts of people and that too in the outdoors, not like now where at the click of a button within the confinement of your home you can choose and select whatever entertainment you want to watch.

The girls ran to find a good spot and as they did someone was passing by them in the opposite direction.

..usne mujhe chhed diya, maine munh pher liya, marti main kya karti? Raste mein woh khada tha hey! hey! Kab se mere peechhe pada tha hey! hey! hey!'

The Sridevi song from Chaalbaaz was playing and Naina clapped her hands together excitedly, Sridevi being her favourite actress of course. She was so fixed on watching the performance before her that she did not notice the guy who had just walked by her looking the other way. He stopped by the stall behind her to buy a glass bottle of pepsi but had cut himself accidently whilst trying to open it. He winced from the pain and looked to his right. His eye caught Naina's khaki green shawl that was flapping in the wind. Without thinking twice he approached it and held the end of her shawl with both hands ripping it with some difficulty, then to his horror realised that the shawl he was pulling at was attached to a girl whose back was to him, and at this point he was right behind her that he hastily in a panic yet as carefully as possible ripped it apart before the girl could catch him red handed. He bandaged the cut with his right hand and brought his mouth to the flimsy material and bit on it with his teeth to tighten the knot he'd made. Naina had no inkling of what had happened nor did she feel her shawl glide off her shoulder after he was done. The guy quaffed down the pepsi and walked off with a piece of her shawl securely wrapped around his hand. He considered leaving her a sorry note but decided against it, not as if he would see her again anyway. Naina looked at the guy casually walking away from her with a pepsi in his hand feeling a gentle breeze against her as he walked past. Preeti tapped her shoulder and said they should leave as the show had ended but just as she was she felt a tugging from behind her.

Ouch'. Her shawl had caught onto the door handle of a stall.

Kya hua?'

The girls looked at the torn shawl in horror.

What is happening to me? One day I get gum in my hair, the next this dupatta ends up with a tear in it, that's twice in 2 days, it had to get torn today...Hey Bhagwan, how am I to face didi and everyone??'

Wear it around your waist like Sridevi did in Chandini, atleast it will be hidden...then you can say a rat ate it.'

No, no, no, we lied about the haircut and got done for it, the spirit inside me doesn't believe in lying before our elders'

Naina, tell your inner spirit to lie otherwise we will be done from inside the house.'

Preeti, we lied yesterday and were caught, its better I tell the truth.'

Naina walked with Swati along the corridors toward the canteen for lunch. She couldn't wait to tuck into her aloo paratha, a food made by her aunt that she adored.

Guess what I went to audition for Juliet's role but couldn't remember one line. Lochan sir is so hard on English pronunciation and I asked him why can't we translate Sakespear into Hindi.'

Sakespear nahin, Shakespeare re pagal'

Hai la! Sakespear's surname is Paagal?' Swati asked quite earnestly. Naina shooked her head.

Ok tell me this, why does Juliet have such long dialogues to entice Romeo?'

If she doesn't then is she going to just dance around trees like Madhuri Dixit and sing ek, do, teen? She is Juliet, Juilet Capulet!' Naina said enthusiastically.

Hai la? You remember her surname?'

Forget that, I have all her lines memorised by heart. If Lochan sir gives me just one chance to enact the role, I will get Romeo just like that!' Naina said excitedly and held Swati's hands and spun her around till they were both laughing before they made their way into the canteen.

Just as she said this he walked in wearing a black polo and denim jeans, hair swaying with each step he took. And he was here, ready to enter her life...

Sameer!!!'

Sameer angled his head to the voice that called him. Munna hauled Sameer into the canteen to show him off to the gang.

Naina paused and felt goose pimples along her bare arms, a wave of bliss entered her, a fragrance filled the air, something was different about today. At that moment, Sameer walked behind her to the other side of the room.

Hi everyone.'

The gang were clearly in awe of him, and didn't waste time to grill him about his previous school, if he could understand fast English, if books were in Hindi or English, if he can understand English without looking at a dictionary etc. Sameer the college kid from the prestigious English medium speaking school in Nainital became an instant hero with his English mannerisms acquired from Nainital and that was the closest one could get to the English worshipping culture, back then.

Hey Swati what do you think is going on over there?' Naina indicated to the the boisterous area of boys surrounding someone who she noticed was in non-uniform.

Who cares, must be some typical baloney. Forget that, lets eat!'

Swati peeked into her friend's lunchbox.

Aloo Paratha!' Swati cried reaching a hand out before Naina swatted it away protectively.

Hey! It's not every day that Bela Chachi makes Aloo paratha. I'm not giving it away like that.'

Swati feigned being upset, Yehi teri dosti? Yehi tera pyar?' She sniffed.

Theres a time for friends and a time for Aloo paratha! Maaf karo, insaaf karo' Naina sung, holding her ears then hands clasped together in apology. Naina was called suddenly to give her audition.

Wait, if I leave you better not touch my paratha?'

I won't, Madhuri Dixit ki kasam, go and all the best!'

Come on guys grow up. Who talks about studies coming to school, let's have fun, let's play Antakshari- what d'you say?' Sameer said eagerly.

But we only play that game when we are trying to get girls attention!' Pandit said grinning.

Well, there are girls here too...' Sameer suggested quietly placing his hand on Pandits shoulder.

There are girls here but who pays him any interest!' Munna chuckled wiping the grin off Pandits face.

Chalo, lets start the game' Sameer said throwing his head back his long hair falling elegantly against his face as he rested on top of a table.

His friends gave M for him to start. Sameer clicked his fingers and leaped off the table strutting with his hands in his jeans pocket, he turned his head to the side and began,

Mere Rang Mein Rangne Wali, Pari Ho Ya Ho Pariyon Ki Rani, Ya Ho Meri Prem Kahani'

In a short space of time, Sameer was unknowingly winning hearts over, with his filmy mannerisms, carefree attitude, his charming smile, pretty looks, windswept hair, and soft deep voice.

Mere Sawaalon Ka Jawab Do, Do Na...' As he came to the end of the chorus he bowed his head a shy smile playing on his lips. His new mates clapped wildly, as he somewhat effortlessly managed to attract the attention of all the girls in the canteen. Meanwhile Naina was heading out for some fresh air trying to grasp what it meant to speak in Juilet's voice from the heart not just dry words on paper as Lochan sir told her..

Pandit's half-hearted version of Ae mere humsafar' was ringing in the background while Sameer had just given a note to Munna to grab them all something from the till and passed by Nainas table. He paused and backtracked a few steps to find an aloo paratha untouched in a lunchbox. He picked it up examining it fondly, and smiled. Aaj mere kismet mein yeh aloo paratha hai'.

Sameer gobbled the paratha before it was his turn again and just as before he was drawing everyone to his dreamy voice and dramatic performance singing to Maine pyar kiya.

...Rukhe chalna, chalke rukna, na jaane tume hai kiska intezaar...'

And as he sung out the lyrics Naina was enjoying the fresh air playing hopscotch with her friends, shortly after she splashed her face with the cooling tap water. The season was ripe with new hope and dreams, a time for change, the weather romantic with droplets of rain settling upon leaves, forming tiny puddles in the grass, trees shimmering from the rays of sunshine that beamed through many openings. She felt such indescribable peace within her but that wasn't to last long. For tomorrow her world would turn upside down and she would never imagine it all had to do with the boy in the canteen. 

Edited by Sairandhri - 6 years ago
dhun.laagi thumbnail
Loved it πŸ˜³
Good job!! 
braveheartdoc thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Well written and you took me back to the second episode πŸ˜Š
How I loved the canteen scene and antakshari...
Thanks dear...good jobπŸ‘πŸΌ