DOTW--Was Ravan’s method correct?

akhl thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago
The serial shows that Aryans are indulging in some wrong practices in the name of rituals. Ravan wants them to accept Raksh culture, which is a good culture according to Ravan. To make the Aryans accept Raksh culture, Ravan is kidnapping the ladies from Aryans. Of course, he is keeping them with honour, but he is showing fake blood to Aryans to make them feel that the women are killed.

It is debatable whether such things really happened or not. But my purpose of starting this thread is not to debate that. Rather, I want your views in the context of this serial.
Imagine what is being shown in the serial is correct.
Imagine that the Aryans were really indulging in wrong practices.
Imagine Raksh culture was really good.
Imagine Ravan's men really kept the Aryan women with honour.
Imagine Ravan's men were able to convince the Aryans (by showing them fake blood) that their women were killed even though they were not.

Now my question is:-
Was this proper method to spread Raksh culture? Please give your reasons.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

umi82990 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Hi Akhl!! This is a very great discussion and is now the new DOTW!!

I think that Ravan was partially right and partially wrong. I liked how he first tried to take over without violence and if not, then he forced them to war. I really don't know if it was politically right or not. He tried his best.
mohiniapatel thumbnail
i dont think that was a right way but i dont get5 how he is a bhakta and is a rakshas? and how shiv ji accepts him!
moon.beam thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
As a child i really liked Ravan's attitude and behaviour......But forcefully asking somebody to accept Raksh culture doesnt mean that they will change their practices and be a transformed person...........the best example can be.....There are many practices that are not to be followed acc to diff religions.........but the people donot bother to follow that...........So i believe this is not the right way from part of Ravan,Instead if he has given shelter to all those who had faced cruelty of aryan culture,then it would have made sense and he wudnt have received the 'villain' status in Ramayan 😛
great_man5 thumbnail

Originally posted by: sunshine_p

As a child i really liked Ravan's attitude and behaviour......But forcefully asking somebody to accept Raksh culture doesnt mean that they will change their practices and be a transformed person...........the best example can be.....There are many practices that are not to be followed acc to diff religions.........but the people donot bother to follow that...........So i believe this is not the right way from part of Ravan,Instead if he has given shelter to all those who had faced cruelty of aryan culture,then it would have made sense and he wudnt have received the 'villain' status in Ramayan 😛

I totaly agree with sunshine here. As a child, he was good and nice and even Shivji say that he is going to do some good work for Aghoris. But as he grows and becomes more ambitious and worldly, he changes. His strategy is "Saam, Daam, Dand aur Bhed" which are bribery, negotiation, force and consporacy. And these, no matter how u put it, are not the way forward. Someone changed by force will never truly change. By killin Rishis and using suicide bombers, he is not acting very different from mordern day terrorists, killin innocent people and most of us can agree that that is in no way correct.

Edited by great_man5 - 16 years ago
busy4ins thumbnail
Does anyone know the actual story? The episodes shown on the telecast may not be 100% true. We do not know their resources!!!
akhl thumbnail
Depends on what you mean by actual story. If you mean Valmiki Ramayan, then I know the story.
richamritunjay thumbnail
whether raksh culture good or bad, but definatley ravan's forceful enforcement of the culture is not acceptable. imagine, if u are practicing a religion and someone forces u to accept another religion, and for that he or she kidnaps ur family member and spreads terror. It can never be done by a good human being. Ravan's chartcter now is shown that he is becoming very materialistic. he is marrying not for love, but for his own interests.
akhl thumbnail

Originally posted by: richamritunjay

whether raksh culture good or bad, but definatley ravan's forceful enforcement of the culture is not acceptable. imagine, if u are practicing a religion and someone forces u to accept another religion, and for that he or she kidnaps ur family member and spreads terror. It can never be done by a good human being. Ravan's chartcter now is shown that he is becoming very materialistic. he is marrying not for love, but for his own interests.

Very aptly put. Thank you.
shona. thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
i dont know in raavan's view that was the rite thing to do n the rite method in anyone else's shoes it might not have been the correct method 😕