Views

Users

Frequent Posters

aarwen thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 9 years ago

Originally posted by: indi52

episode 334

to be sure, man's search for meaning may arouse inner tension rather than inner equilibrium. however, precisely such tension is an indispensable prerequisite of mental health. there is nothing in the world, i venture to say, that would so effectively help one to survive even the worst conditions as the knowledge that there is a meaning in one's life. there is much wisdom in the words of nietzsche: "he who has a why to live for can bear almost any how".

~~~ viktor e frankl ~~~

i remember being extremely moved by this book, man's search for meaning, from which that quote comes, when i read it a few years ago. the thoughts and work of an eminent psychiatrist who had lived through the hell of a concentration camp. his inspired observations about human nature in that state of extreme suffering and humiliation. and his ever steadying belief that those who survived were the ones who had a sense of purpose, a "meaning" in their lives.

i have forgotten most of what i read.

but in the relationship of asr with his sister anjali, i felt that search for meaning; that need for something to live for... in a very young boy suddenly cut off from stability and a sense of "normal" in his life.

di was not just someone he loved... di was the one because of whom he found the urge to live... to conquer... to show "himmat".

when di felt happy, he felt everything was alright... he had said the episode before. a moving look into the character of an apparently cold hard arrogant man.

i'd written in 333 that perhaps khushi, the one we had met initially, had sensed his non-negotiable need for his sister. how fundamental she was to his sense of well being... of his "normal". because nothing really was normal in his life that night onward. yet, brave and arced toward overcoming odds, he had held onto the one thing he could, his sister's responsibility... and forged ahead.

when he broke down before khushi and said he was a failure for not having succeeded in protecting his sister, i'd hoped she would show her ken and say things that heal him, love him, tell him he has succeeded, in his own way. just by doing what he has, he has done that... that even though it might not seem so at the moment, yet, he has not really failed. I was hoping for some other dialogues than the ones she was given. The dialogue writers have completely forgotten the vibrant spirited crazy loving girl.

"aapke amma babu ji ke saath jo kuchh bhi hua... di ke saath jo kuchh bhi hua... aap unhen nahin badal sakte hain, arnav ji..." she said instead, eyes streaming, her voice neat and pert and at a distance from her words.

such pat words. what happened to your parents and to your sister... you can't change them, arnav ji.

and so sanctimonious too... also utterly wrong. neither is the content accurate nor the timing conscientious.

when a man who has tried with all he has, is vulnerable, that's not the time to lecture him or tell him he can't influence things. a complete insensitivity from a beautiful woman when the person who has grown to trust her needs her most.

and if we take an attitude of "nahin badal sakte hain," can't change a thing... where would we be?

it really doesn't matter what a tv serial says and yet it begins to matter when something in it feels so right, so worth spending time on, pondering.

the attitude to life of one asr... who shows himmat... who grapples with vicissitudes, who refuses to accept defeat, just makes me want to do so. today he reminded me of people who have faced great suffering and overcome.

words like magnificent are reserved for elevated, exalted characters of high literaure. maybe because i was never clever enough to get the high stuff, nor patient enough to linger and find out what made them high, arnav singh raizada had to come into my bedroom one midnight. the witching hour.

tv serials don't have a philosophy and yet... they really do.

i disagreed vehemently with this part of the episode.

i have severe problems with talk of fate and "bhagya" unless it is done in a considered wise manner, this was in defeatist vein... as far as i am concerned and to use my aching hero's word, this is "galat". not "sahi" at all.

"di ko aise haal mein nahin dekh sakta..." can't see di in this state... said the man who keeps things real and even in failure seems to triumph. aristotle's tragic hero aroused pity and fear... he made an error of judgement that led to his downfall. even if i'd never read anything about the greek tragic hero, i'd have known through all i have seen and right now in the hoarsely whispered sentences, the tortured look, the refusal to give in, that sense of something larger than life, a call to the deepest human traits, the most gorgeous, to rise and prevail no matter what... that here indeed was a "hero" and his failure would really be a tragedy. aah here is your reference of greek hero. Love this.. in failure seems to triumph.. haha haar ke jeetne wale ko baazigar kehte hai?

he achieved this without a trace of sanctimoniousness or know all holier than thouness. by just being a man. a human with all his humanness. if that isn't breath taking, what is.

most "heroes" have soliloquies, "quotable quotes", chances to hold forth... or they have salim javed dialogues at the very least. here he rarely says anything specially special, hardly speaks. usually a couple of words, sometimes a sentence, maybe two. and yet he says so much, paints a fascinating character with mere gazes, pauses, body language, tone of voice, a no nonsense air... and yes, action. always sharp, focussed action; taken because he believes he needs to take them... taking responsibility for his every act in the deepest sense. never blaming another or expecting life to come and somehow get things done for him.

i do believe the actor made asr much more than anyone thought he would. he found the man within the words and dialogues... he found the parts that were not written about and filled in the blanks and by doing so he created an unforgettable man.

it was very clear in the narrative that asr loved his sister beyond a point. but why and exactly what she meant to him i think was revealed by the actor... by understanding why she mattered so much...

i was looking for mami's deadly dialogues in 43 and 44 when i saw this scene... he was a little astonished when he saw the laughter filled family scene in the kitchen, then he smiled... happy to see anjali carefree and so in love with shyam... and even as he watched, a change to a tender expression, almost a helpless one. when something is priceless to us, when we almost can't live without it... i'd imagine that's how we'd look.

when khushi had been completely broken by her father's paralytic attack, he had come running but not been able to somehow give her what she needed. he'd pondered the issue, felt extreme pain and perhaps remorse that he had failed. and the next day when unwittingly he'd made her feel helpless, he had gone back... again that smart sharp focussed action... to help in a concrete way, a way he understood... and paid all the bills. and when she had started fraying before him again... he had walked right up to her this time and consoled her the way he perhaps didn't know he could, bit this time he didn't want to fail her. he wanted to be there for her... and he was. 

if i'd expected sensitivity from khushi here, can i be blamed? this was iss pyaar ko and it sparkled with inspired moments, after all.

and their hold was so binding that even after more than hundred episodes of things going strange, we still hoped. almost every episode... right up to the end, i had thought, maybe now, now at last things would take a turn and we'd get ipk back.

bhagya talk apart, the writing also veered the way of all serials. suddenly khushi has to give him the strength, give "vada" that all will be well, have "vishwas" he can do it. really? does he need all that to get things done?

instead of mahaan bharatiya naari, had they let khushi be khsuhi, she may have come up with far more valid ways to express her strength and indispensability in asr's life at this moment. 

off we went to heavy duty reentry of shyam... director is in utter love with baddie. i think this "sweetening" of the not so goodie hero is telling on the director... he needs his bad boy fix. gah, so do i so do i, mr director... and shyam doesn't even know the first thing of what makes a bad boy really bad. ooh I had meant to write in my take how pointless the close up shots of his shoes were. as if we didn't know who was entering Anjali's cabin.

shyam plunged into all his natak. while khushi said to asr, "aap jaaiye hum aapke saath hai... hum dono milkar dii ko sambhaal lenge..." you go, the two of us together will tackle everything.

huh? so now he can't even handle his sis alone? oh he needs khushi he needs khushi... she the ultimate mahaan heroine of hindi soap. all i can really say is, what the.

i needn't have worried about asr though... barun sobti made sure whatever little the writers were willing to grant him, he'd turn into gold.

while all waffled and "acted", he just went about being real... and really angry.

"how dare you!"
through clenched teeth upon seeing shyam. hand was out and grabbing a collar before anyone could say anything...

"yahan aane ki ijaazat kissne di tumhe..."
who gave you the permission to come here, he grated... "mere di ke paas aane ki himmat kaise ki tumne?" how dare you come anywhere near my di...

di is his responsibility, no one messes with that. he has been fooled once. will he be again... i think. yeah, actually, even this round, i wanted to see if even for a moment he was taken in.

one tight slap was given and i had my answer.

no, never again will this man be fooled. he is shatir, he might have been fooled once but he learns his lessons. that makes him a hero to me, a sharp one, a human one. to never err is just unreal... even gods make mistakes.

"baap hain hum..."
i am a father... wheedled shyam trying to turn the tide.

"kuchh nahin ho tum.  d'you understand that?... kuchh nahin,"
you're nothing, replied asr. hardly any words, yet each one apt... and delivered in a way, one will never forget. I love this dialogue.. few words.. absolutely effective.

"iss aadmi ka mere di par koi haq nahin hai... aaj di ka jo halat hai woh sirf  inki wajah se hai..."
this man has no right over my sister... if my di is in thsi state today it's because of him and him alone... he told his rather irritating and obnoxious grandmother.

he beat up shyam despite all the drama from dadi and khushi's frankly not at all understandable "don't do it" looks.

"jab tak main zinda hoon, yeh insaan mere ghar mein kabhi kadam nahin rakhega..."
as long as i am alive this man will not enter my home. i wanted to maaro seetee and hug the chap. of course, his own lover will betray him and then he will have to apologise... ah well.

but for now... yay asr, way to go.

my smart man can sense a game.

he strides into his di's room, a purpose propels him, he is no longer falling apart and unsure. meaning... it always centres him.

he has found the meaning in this moment. his duty. he needs something to focus on too... di must go home. shyam might get here without anyone's permission.

of course, he has no idea his sister herself has already started cheating and lying about shyam.

ah, i feel for this man.

and i am touched by his open large mind, when he holds nothing against khushi and anjali even after knowing what they've done.

"koi bhi, and i mean it... koi bhi shyam ko iss ghar mein wapas laane ka baat dobara nahin karega... and i mean it." no one, and i mean it, will speak again of bringing shyam back to this house... he tells everyone at home, glaring specifically at dadi. he possibly doesn't even remotely think khushi needs to be told this.

"never again." interestingly those are words connected with the holocaust, there was something much more than a tv soap going awry in this episode.

when he goes back into anjali's room and looks at her... again that need, that vulnerability. i wonder now, did anjali ever know how much she meant to him? and maybe because he loved her so much, he could forgive her that easily?

a new piece of music as he looks at di lying unwell and sits by her, remembering... loving...being himself.

edit:
soon after writing this, i read a piece by columnist frank bruni on higher education and its need... its contribution to growing us, in ways hard to quantify. he speaks of a teacher of his who threw all of herself into teaching "lear". her delivery of three simple words, "stay a little," words lear says to his dearest daughter cordelia as she slips away, linger in his mind and he recalls how her way of teaching let him get the maximum out of the texts...

"'Stay a little.' She showed how that simple request harbored such grand anguish, capturing a fallen king's hunger for connection and his tenuous hold on sanity and contentment. And thus she taught us how much weight a few syllables can carry, how powerful the muscle of language can be.

She demonstrated the rewards of close attention. And the way she did this " her eyes wild with fervor, her body aquiver with delight " was an encouragement of passion and a validation of the pleasure to be wrung from art. It informed all my reading from then on. It colored the way I listened to people and even watched TV.

It transformed me." beautiful..sigh.. how do people write this way..

i thought of barun sobti and his asr. his way of saying the simplest of words having understood and internalised the meaning of them, their entire context and content... did touch me and maybe even transformed me. it's such a wonderful feeling to know and marvel at a character, a man who doesn't exist... takes you places; maybe even the loony bin. but i suspect it enriches you even then.

Indi di loved the quotes..specially that piece in the end. Words, acting, stories, songs..all can have such a powerful impact on our lives.

If only the creators of IPK knew how important it was to stay true to the characters. I am completely with you..Like I said am irritated with Khushi too. I do think a lot of what she was saying like "vishwas hai" and "hum aapke sath hai" were not meant to be condescending. It was the deluded writer's way of showing she is with him. They have forgotten how Khushi reacts, what she says, how she responds to ASR's pain. It was meant to show she is there with him, but I just miss her youth and freshness. These contrite expressions by Sanaya also do no good. Like you said in your post to me, she might have been able to keep a bit of Khushi. Not let go as easily. 

That edit for 43 44..such a sweet young sibling moment.. their relation has always been lovely and gone through different phases. the early episodes..gorgeous..

Thank you for reading my takes Indi di.. hehe.. giving you company in the write ups.. 
aarwen thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: indi52

episode 335

"most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility."
~~~ sigmund freud ~~~

i just watched asr right through this episode. his love, his helplessness, his frustration, his magnificent anger and that boy who never could let a night go.

dadi brought out the worst in him... a clear clean absolute emotion, an anger, but beneath it one sensed a human being in great pain, struggling. she was such a bad reminder of sheeshmahal, all that he has tried valiantly to put behind. she brought out the best him. What conviction of character. dignified exquisite anger.

now she stands here with the archaic and erroneous views of sheeshmahal, insisting they be adhered to just because she is the elder and he is the scion of the maliks. she is his grandmother from his father's side, and in a patriarchal system, she has more authority than anyone from his mother's side... she constantly refers to the tragedy at sheeshmahal, i suspect without the power of the past, she is really nothing. it's like her magic potion.

she really has no reference or relevance in this present time. for the past fourteen years she has practically not existed.

the father's side has stopped meaning anything to her grandson. he has walked away from the claim of patriarchy and acknowledged the parent he respects by adopting her family name. he is absolutely and resolutely a raizada. what's more he has a mind of his own and he will do what he feels is the right thing to do.   how vital and inspiring this characteristic of ASR is. to intelligently think with one's own mind.

he walks out of his sister's room looking worried and dadi attacks.

"kitna sambhal rahe hain aur kitna bigad rahein hain..." how much you are resolving and how much you are spoiling i can see, says she grimly, clearly challenging him.

a deadly look at nani.

i was all set to sit through the episode bored, wondering how they ruined it all. but then that look. i started to watch with interest. asr did not disappoint me.

khushi was wooden in her all will be well mode... bad dialogues, where is hitesh kewaliya.

"mujhse baat karne ka koi faida nahin hai, dadi, main wohi karoonga jo mujhe theek lagta hai..." no point in talking to me, dadi, i will do what i feel is right, rasped (yes, i will use m&b word) the man.

di is in trouble. all that is asr is out, up and about.

"di meri responsibility hai, aur main kissi ko bhi did ko zara si bhi takleef nahin pahunchane doonga," di is my responsibility and i won't let anyone hurt di even that bit. he knows shyam can casually walk into a hospital so he has moved di here, where he hopes to keep her safe.

the anjali ke pati hai rubbish starts.

asr is adamant. shyam has lost all his rights.

dadi hits way below the belt, she suggests anjali might do what her mother did.

i wince. this is so not done. actually, dadi is wonderful because there are indeed people just like her all around. essentially cowards, who need groups to survive, who accept all the unfairness of patriarchy for a melange of reasons, their own survival being a major one, they abuse the power that the system grants them and they habitually do not do empirical thinking, it's easier to accept and peddle other people's thinking in the name of parampara... that way you can spend your energies entirely on delivering dialogue with melodrama and speaking with borrowed force. she sure is an alien from out of IPK universe.

this is battle royal i think.

khushi suddenly appears by asr and puts a hand on his shoulder, asking him to calm down. why? should he? i miss my old fiery real khushi.

"jo main logoke baare mein sochta hoon unhen saaf saaf explain karne mein believe karta hoon," what i think of people, i believe in telling them clearly about it. that's asr. no manipulation in his words, no muffling, couching, designing, pandering.

dadi thinks no one loves anjali more than shyam...

i wanted to laugh my head off... a very poor judge of character this lady is... this fits perfectly with her type.

nani steps in. again, the maker, the preserver...

anjali is so unwell, why are you guys fighting?

usually, he listens to his nani, but today, "ek minute, nani" he has been looking at dadi, he's seen something...

a sharp man, it strikes him as odd...

"pehli baar shyam ki aankho mein itna pyaar dekh liya aapne? kal aap usse pehli baar mili thi na? ... pehli baar milke itni yakeen kaise hai aapko usspar?"

you saw so much in shyam's eyes the first time you ever saw him? yesterday you met him for the first time, didn't you? how can you believe in someone so much after just meeting him once?

"unless aap..."

he has guessed it isn't the first time at all.

and dadi confesses she knows shyam.

she rants about his innocence and says, "baki ki jo galat faimiya hui hain..."

"galat faimi!!!" misunderstanding! asr's voice rises.

he loses it.

"koi galat faimi nahin hui hai, dadi... aur sach yeh hai ki shyam jaisa jhoota ur ghatia insaan iss ghar mein kabhi dobara wapis nahi aayega..."

there's been no misunderstanding and someone as lowdown as shyam is not coming back to this house.

clearly the writers are building the story of shyam's return. i know that. and yet, asr sounds so wonderful i sort of forget about the plot.

dadi doesn't believe shyam tried to kill asr...

nk speaks up, instantly the hand is raised. sohara has a name for dadiji.. stopwa.. lol..

nani steps in, "subhadra, kauno galat faimi naahin hui hai..." there has been no misunderstanding.

dadi speaks like shyam's groupie, "koi saboot hai iss baat ka?" is there any proof of that?

"dadi, main jaanta hoon ki sach kya hai aur mujhe kissi proof ki zaroorat nahin hai." i know what the truth is and i don't need any proof, insists asr.

"aap bas woh galati mat kijiye jo main pehle kar chuka hoon," he acknowledges he made a mistake. it possibly bothers him often now. how could he have misread shyam like this? he, who believes in his dimaag, his ability to judge a thing correctly.

"really?" he says at one point and i have to go for a cool down session.

dadi refuses to budge, accept it or not, she says, i have come to save this home. "hum kuch bhi galat hone nahin denge..." i won't let anything wrong happen. a nice return to the core issue of sahi and galat there.

"no!" he strikes out. he is incensed. sharp clear enraged "no!", you deserve a poem.

"aap tab bhi galat thi, dadi, aur aap aaj bhi galat hain!" you were wrong then, you are wrong now.

he has pondered sahi and galat too long, too honestly and intimately to let his prejudiced and unfair grandmother take away that premise. beside she has stoked a smouldering wound. she has opened up that wound right in the middle of this... this insensitivity too is typical of her kind.

barun is unspeakably moving each time there's any allusion to maa, but if you refer of her without respect, even slightly hinting at something not sahi in her actions, he is lethal.

dadi, "aap kehna kya chahte hain?" what do you want to say?

asr, "yehi ki hamare liye kya sahi hai aur kya galat, aapko na chauda saal pehele pata tha aur na aaj pata hai." this, that what is right or wrong for us, you didn't know fourteen years ago, you don't know now.

simple clear fact stated.

"ittne saalo se di ka khayal main rakh raha hoon," for so many years i am taking care of di. sublime accent on "main".

"aap nahin... aur aagey bhi rakh sakta hoon." not you, and in the future to i can take care of her.

"aap toh hume chhorkar chali gayi thi na? phir kyun wapas aayin aap? kya lene aayin hain apni ashram se? wahin rehna chahiye tha na?"

you'd left us and gone, right? so why did you come back? what have you come seeking? should have stayed there, no?

i smiled. man has a point.

he leaves, his family arrayed around, looking nonplussed. a fabulous shot. he is undoubtedly the captain of this ship.

"shyam iss ghar mein wapas nahin aayega..." shyam won't come back to this house, he grates. undoubtedly this is a clear sign, shyam will be back.

"rahne dijiye, sister!" shyam is already here. asr has arranged for security, but from next day. must funny smile happen in each frame of shyam? when he was not yet revealed, pre 41, he was so good, nice but creepy in a way you couldn't figure out.

asr stands before his pool, tortured.

khushi walks in... looking to comfort him it seems to me. she insists he take his medicines. whenever there was a gap in ideas, a dose of medicines was administered. usually via di, but tonight it's asr. as though a girl can't just walk in and tell her man she is worried sick for him, the situation at home sucks, and just be by his side, let him feel a little better. fascinating observation. you know in real life also I have noticed this when a lot of people are around, wives need to find this socially acceptable reason to spend time with husband. I feel like going what the at the world at times!

a gripped glass...

"i hate that man, khushi!"soft broken angry seething helpless with emotions.

khushi tells him that she felt shyam had bachhe ko khone ka dukh, the sadness of losing achild. sigh...

and promptly comes an absolutely beautiful: "so?" I liked the delivery. It was quite open ended, as if he might be persuaded to believe that it was possible Shyam was feeling bad for the death of his child, but that still did not mean he could creep into Anjali's life back.

so maybe he should be given a chance to meet anjali... khushi starts off. i feel the loss of the khushi i knew.

"khushi, tumne shayad suna nahin theek se..." khushi, perhaps you didn't hear me... he is looking stonily at her. no way is shyam coming here.

the irony is not lost on audience, the cretin is sitting in the house with wife. shyam feeds his wife the entire idea of how exactly he can be brought back. she swallows the whole thing, thinking it's her idea really. would have been interesting, but anjali's character was not convincing any more.

and in her brother's room is a man not easy to fool or convince any more.

"woh sabko bewakoof bana sakta hai par mujhe nahin..." he can fool everyone, but not me. sharp man. he made a mistake, but now he has learned his lesson. not making the same mistake twice.

"are you kidding me, khushi!" at her mumbling about shyam. too cute.

she is going on.

"ok?" he looks at her... he needs her support.

khushi looks achhi bahu and states all she wants is di should get better.
and di barges into the room. he is worried, then elated, she looks better. mami exclaims "ee toh miracle hui gawa," this is a miracle. nk is more pertinent, "
di... iss ek ghante mein aisa kya ho gaya, haanh?" what happened in this one hour?

asr looks at his sister, love brimming in his eyes. he would bring her anything she wants i get the feeling.

she says what she wants...

"hume shyam ji lauta do, chhotey." return shyam ji to me.

the first time i saw, i wondered how he would react. would he give in? of course, he would. he had to. but he didn't... how to forget this man. same pinch. I don't remember this exact sequence from first watch, but when I watched it while writing, I could not believe that ASR did not give it. yes how to forget him..

somewhere i have never travelled, gladly beyond
any experience, your eyes have their silence:
in your most frail gesture are things which enclose me,
or which i cannot touch because they are too near

~~~ e e cummings ~~~

dimag says its all too boring, but dil refuses not get moved by this man's acting.. haha dadi the Shyam groupie.. hello hi bye bye.. she was extremely irritating.. am quite glad man went into full on ASR lethal mode.. you captured the moment beautifully with your words. And why do bahus need dawai to meet husband during day time.. uff this world we live in.. 

Indi di am tempted to read your 348 but want to write mine first.. am so far behind.. but keep procrastinating on watching the episodes.. a sense of stalemate is catching up.. 

kyu dard hai itna tere ishq mein..rabba ve.. rabba ve.. by the way how long has it been since we heard a rabba ve in one of the episodes?
indi52 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
hi rhea,

thanks for reading 334 and 335. khushi's contrite look... rather trite, teehee. and of course we must run around with dawai or some other socially acceptable reason to go spend time with the husband... this is the whole parampara parivar racket which keeps women so busy getting bamboozled by weird meaningless norms that they have no time to think. that way we'd never notice the royal ride we are getting taken for. if examined, most things that women are expected to do after marriage will start looking like what they are, a society turning girls into objects of utilty.

i have never been a tv watcher. not even a great film watcher. but i have studied mass communications and i remember hours and and hours of lecture on the impact of media on society... on its positive use to bring about change, etc. of course, i slept through most of it and never pondered the issue much.

till i fell in love with a tv serial.

and saw the utter bilge being pedaled as the way to be to women across the universe. now everyone will say, who gets affected by tv serials... of course this rubbish no one takes it seriously. and yet... our shaadis are more and more like serial weddings. bengalis are doing mehendi ceremonies. karwa chauth is becoming a huge commercial wonder. and really without even our noticing we are being dragged back to an idea of women that belongs to the garbage bin.

each and every serial is essentially anti woman pro feudal patriarchy. what if i did not want to be the family's saviour? what? how can you, you fallen woman... i have given you the role of saviour, you jolly well will be that, otherwise i will shame you, make you wear bizarre(er) clothes and jewellery, slant your face with a streak of lunatic make up and make you speak a few words of that evil language, that angrezi, and have weird echoes and shrieks such as "lika ika ika" or whatever follow you around. that's just one way.

there are many ways i can find to really cut your nose off if you don't conform and be saviour. and let all your own dreams and desires be secondary to that. in fact, better still forget you ever had any dream or desire.

and so ips officer must assure her saas she will keep all the fasts for the sake of her family while in rigorous training. doctor must cajole and convince her saas into letting her practice and then really never practice, usual sweet stuff like that. oh and the real romance is between ma in law and daughter in law here of course. all the sadness and mayhem of a gender skewed and asphyxiated in the folds of story.

this is called family oriented entertainment in our world.

i am seeing promotions of a serial where a girl is dying of an ailment and yet all we see is the man's pain, his desperate need, not one promotion speaks of the fear of the girl, her state of mind. because you see even in that state, she is saviour.

i have no idea how but in this scenario, ipk managed to get away with a real romance and love story.

its heroine was a normal girl, who loved her family, had reasons for her slightly anxious love, she was a straight forward honest girl who was independent minded and strong and yes she had that heady streak of intrinsic sanka that a man just could not resist. and guess what she also looked downright sexy at times and he merrily stared and fell flat on such occasions.

because she was so much herself, you didn't mind her slightly tv-fied get up... some creative's way of establishing her one of a kindness. in fact, the pompom tight churidar bunched up dupatta mojri awkward plait even ugh clips and jhola bag gave you a sense of happiness and excitement almost. you wondered how the fashion magnate felt about all this and then you realised he really didn't care because his mind was putty upon seeing miss muffet in all her glory and he was desperately trying to stay calm and in control and failing fabulously... the big spider act came on and scared no one away.

everything about this story felt plausible, real. this can happen.

i loved the fact that nani was strong, traditional but intelligent and fair. la came to live at home, la was looked at askance then slowly accepted. i even understood why la agreed to change or learn new ways. she wanted something... him... and if to get him she had to do a few things, she was willing to try. felt like it can happen...

she was the buri ladki whose achha dil ipk could see.

unbelievable, really. i have never seen such stuff on indian tv... 

there was an understanding of people and a valuing of individuals. o p had personality and it was not the usual goodie two shoes hapless kaka favoured by tv, mainly to establish how wonderful we are to our servants.

here asr shouted at them and never apologised.

and the heroine played ankh micholi with the domestic help.

best of all, the bahu of the family, the only daughter in law in the story at the time, did makeupiya, wore bootiphool jewellery, golden golden saree, ate, slept, was a disaster at cooking, was lazy, and yet she had something about her and she was loved for that. no one bothered to change her or sigh at her fantistic englissiya... there was a sense of families as they really are, despite the obvious campiness of mami and the very notion of a goat as pet.

i would watch khushi being unreasonable at times, very high handed even and think, that's fine... we all have our flaws. i somehow never connected her obsession with getting la married to asr as signs of saviour, i had no real discomfort with her not being perfect. just that i noted it and got irritated.

sanaya made khushi into a memorable and lovely character.

never ever did the word achhi anything cross my mind while watching. to me they were all people with personalities.

was too good to last i guess.

and so it was that one fine day, almost overnight khushi was gone. by retro fitting some scenes of so called sanka, not her inherent inborn one, you can't keep khushi living breathing acidity getting.

the craziness started soon after marriage.

but even then, there was a struggle you could sense.

so we have khushi trying to fight back... actually the first few days after marriage were rather beautiful... her anger and perplexity, her abhimaan... hard to forget.

she went off home... she told him she hated him.

best of all, her katti and complaining with dm. so so lovely. real.

a girl lost. a girl looking for resources within herself to fight back, stay afloat.

and uff him and her in that tension.

but once we went to gupta house i think the tussle was over, the decision had been taken. even before that, they took away her look and gave her open hair and tent makeover. no more mojri... now bahu with nondescript chappal with heels, (why do all bahus have their hair open... a mystery that needs solving). then the whole slide into lunacy (suicide????) followed by tears (aaah, now you're talking) and finally, literally the saviour... of kidnapped husband.

in the telepathy talk... that was the one jarring note, she said believe me i will get you back. as if he has no ability to do anything, she is the one. he just kept quiet.

my asr would have said, khushi, you will not take any unnecessary risk, samjhi tum... even through the stars.

there is just sadness in me when i think of how they hacked away at everything. in fact, that marriage itself was forced... by not asr... by star.

and as far as sp is concerned, once you are bahu, there is only one way to go.

i can't tell you the sadness and anger i feel when i see what tv does to women.

people blame the movies with their women stripped to bare minimum clothes and item numbers as having a negative impact on the safety and status of women.

i feel they work in tandem, tv and movies. tv idealises and ratifies a mindset... every day in your home, you see and internalise... women have this role, anything outside it is abhorrent... she is to be treated with the respect we are willing to give her, if she conforms. she is just a thing. on tv she is at home, so she is gharwali.

and in the movies, she is the other role women play...  baharwali. strip her and let's have fun.

and we watch both, talking about what's really bizarre in television is that the dead come back, people's faces change after an accident, the heroine rarely marries the man she loves, etc...

anyway, to come back to where i started going off track... khushi actually believes asr needs instructions on how to handle things while di is in this terrible state. ok.

the reason writing perhaps has become a challenge is because the most wonderful thing of ipk, the real romance has gotten kidnapped and there never will be a fabulous rescue, what i had hoped for till the last day.

it was a romance between a real man and a real woman. now one of them does not exist.

Edited by indi52 - 9 years ago
kizh72 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail
Indi di, Bravo👏
You with your ability with words have put across what many of us feel about the way our gender is portrayed and expected to behave in what is termed as the 'Indian culture'.
I wish the makers of ipk read this and realize what they had succeeded in creating and what they alas also destroyed. Creator and destroyer!
I had fallen for the girl as well as for the man. I feel sad at the way they just trivialized her. She was real with her quirks and fallacies, not perfect.
And many of these serials which shows all the prototype acchi women is alas being created by a production house headed by a woman? Ha the irony of it!
indi52 thumbnail
^^^

hi kizh,

thanks, sir... i get incensed and start losing it.

they had really achieved something and maybe that is why it hurts or matters so much... that giving in.

yes, creator and destroyer. had the same thought once. wonder how they justified it to themselves. if they ever did or even tried to.

khushi was mangled and desperately reshaped, nothing ever fit properly though.

asr too was too out of control for tv, so they pushed and prodded him as well... somehow the actor managed to hold on.

and really did the last scene have to be with doubles? come. on.

indi52 thumbnail
episode 338

the rage and the incredulous look. that's all i really remember from this episode. and then the helplessness...

when you love someone with all your heart, you can make massive errors, but you can equally be absolutely a hundred percent spot on right. that emotion makes you react in ways unfathomable i believe.

if seeing khushi in shyam's arms completely played hell into asr's sense of judgment and he erred hugely, equally did he learn to believe and trust and realise the truth, thanks to that same emotion. and once he knew shyam had messed with both the important women in his life, there was no going back. never again. not even if his beloved sister was aching and begging for a change in his decision.

he knew shyam was bad for her. and he would not let shyam anywhere near di. he in fact was out looking for a sensible, effective way to nurse di back to health.

and anyway, i didn't quite understand the strange collapse of anjali's health with the nurse calling out every next dramatic turn for the worse in monotone. nor did i get the super flap by her family, and all the achhi bahu khana making and competing. was this ipk?

finally of course, instead of going to a doctor khushi went and knocked on the murderer's door because creatives had failed to find a more interesting way to bring shyam back.

as i have said before, i understand the dramatic potential of this "twist" but for that you have to convince me that khushi had areally good reason to do so. alas, you haven't done that. so all it does is makes me think why am i watching this episode.

then i see a man turn on the staircase he had just started climbing (sorry the super tan tan tan entry of your favourite villain and focusing on his shoes just as you have before on asr's did not get me all excited so did not mention it) and his expression changes, and i am glued. all thought stops. could it be not only because the chap is gorgeous to look at, the man we call hotwa, but really because he is in character. that is asr. the man i met in episode one still capable of fabulous out of control anger especially when his heart is involved.

he came down swiftly, chucked his jacket onto a sofa, he had been elegantly carrying it on the crook of his arm... and went right up to shyam and stopped him... hand straight reaching for collar.

to that right correct anger... salaam.

he was not going to tolerate this man in his home. i was glad to see his nani and mami, and later nk and payal, none of them looked pleased at the sight of the man di was pining for no matter how much they cared for her. sense, intelligence, ability to take the right decision... valuable things.

would be good if these instead of mahaanta was the key differentiating property of the achhi bahu format endorsed by television land. a land which is our virtual duniya from eight to twelve every evening.

asr seethed with fury... who brought the abhorrent pretender here he wanted to know.

"answer me, dammit! kissne bulaya tha tumhe?!" how does this actor keep himself so convinced?

after the requisite dramatic pause, came a single word from the nineteen to a dozen girl. even that felt wrong. khushi would never talk like that. she may walk up with head bent, clutching her hands or rush in with a thousand explanations, but that cool smug voice. ugh.

the first time i saw the episode, i think i was more shocked than asr. just as i could never believe shyam had kidnapped asr despite all the huge thunking bricks chucked at us as "hints"... i also could not believe khushi, of all people, would bring him back, no matter how many times they showed her muttering to herself, even saying there might be "anarth" and she could not let that happen.

and why anarth would happen so easily, i didn't get. anjali had a miscarriage and was weak, why this melodramatic handling of the whole thing?

"humne."

he looked up and in his eyes was stupefaction followed by a rush in of emotions... i wonder what they were. horror, anger, sense of betrayal...

"khushi! tumne!!" he sounds flabbergasted.

and the emotions pile up. she does this little let me explain to you thing, hand on his shoulder, holier than thou look on. "arnav ji!" hushed urgent whisper, she knows better tone... he is the one who doesn't samjho, understand. "hamari baat samajhne ki..."

he flinches away. incensed.

a real person. yes, that is what i would do too. there can never be any explanation that will justify this.

and there isn't, no matter what the writer writes.

upstairs in her bedroom, anjali, the offering, has heard "mere shyam ji's" voice and she struggles and heaves to sit up. i watch daljeet... a rather dramatic way about her always. she takes the frame and makes it hers, she has a certain presence. and i really don't mind her acting too. again, it's the writing that doesn't gel.

daljeet does this lover in unbounded need of her lover thing, hurls herself out of bed and rushes limping and falling to her husband. out of the room, down te many steps, dash against the walls then finally face to face with him... hair open and flowing, desperate love in eyes, a joy descending on features... almost manic. she looked beautiful to me. and yes a terrible poignancy in her love for a sick creature. for her love was always true. an emotion that can make you think galat and sahi both.

asr looked on. did a funny helplessness come into his eyes? he could not stop di from falling into shyam's arms. but he did tell shyam, he did not believe him when shyam said he was here only for anjali's sake.

i felt asr's extreme loneliness. he knows what is right. but there's no point. both the women he loves are not with him on this.

and when anjali hugged him, he really couldn't bring himself to return the hug.

no one had taken more care of her than him... today achhi bahu knows better. i think khushi is out there on the steps looking at this scene as had once before gazed at a brother and a sister from outside a temple. and her eyes are brimming over, feeling terrible for her laad governor.

Edited by indi52 - 9 years ago
InspiredSoul thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail + 4

Indi, your post above - a total reflection of my exact thoughts when I saw this episode! 

Do you know, I actually started watching IPK, the very first time I was tempted to watch a tv serial - because of Khushi! I saw a girl walk with purposeful steps and shake a gas cylinder and thought 'oh no, the same typical crap of indian tv - and then she made jalebis! And I fell in love with her sankiness! 
My love for ASR's character came later.
Watching this episode, seeing her bringing in Shyam, behind his back, and then expecting him to understand ... I felt like I went and buried my best friend. I wanted to mourn, and my heart went out to ASR - through the rest of the serial till the end - it was like he lost his love, and I am there mourning with him. While the creatives slowly turned him into a shadow of the man he is, they mauled Khushi's character and started the awkward and painful process of fitting her into the mold of 'typical' tv serial bahu who talked about fasting for husband, buying vegetables, saving children from kidnappers, sacrificing her marriage for the 'other woman' and finally to top it off she was made to compete in a fashion show to prove that she can be the 'independent woman equal and worthy of her husband'! 

What a loss! ...

indi52 thumbnail
^^^

hi is,

wonderfully put.

i too was shocked when she made jalebis and then laughed my head off. somewhere along with us, khushi stands there watching the tamasha.

and the real test... no one liked this abracadabra khushi. not even the so called kitchen audience. the trp said as much.

great to see you.

DurgaS thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3

Episode 350

First Telecast Tuesday,  25th September 2012

Full episode links 

Thanks Katelyn, for the links.

DurgaS thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
BFTP reaches another milestone. 350 episodes completed. 😃 

Not a very happy scenario if we look at the upcoming episodes. But this is an achievement nevertheless. 

Congratulations blasters. 🥳