Views

Users

Frequent Posters

mcm226 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 16 years ago

Originally posted by: mermaid_QT

My "KOKANCHA RAJA" HAAPOOS is the only MANGO in my fruit book πŸ˜‰  πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

i 2nd u cutie QT😳....Hapoos is the best....O god...........what a mouth watering topic.....i like raw neelam("neelam' is variety of mango ok,kahi confusewa na jaao isliyeπŸ˜‰πŸ˜†)too but riped mango,only HAPAAOS aka Alphanso😳

@QT-wow Ghalib ka sher,i liked almost all the ghazals from the album"Mirza Ghalib' sung jagjit n chitra singh....introduction in Gulzaar sahab's voice πŸ‘πŸ‘

mermaid_QT thumbnail
Originally posted by: mcm226

i 2nd u cutie QT😳....Hapoos is the best....O god...........what a mouth watering topic.....i like raw neelam("neelam' is variety of mango ok,kahi confusewa na jaao isliyeπŸ˜‰πŸ˜†)too but riped mango,only HAPAAOS aka Alphanso😳
@QT-wow Ghalib ka sher,i liked almost all the ghazals from the album"Mirza Ghalib' sung jagjit n chitra singh....introduction in Gulzaar sahab's voice πŸ‘πŸ‘

yepp mands.. I love the album  MG and hapoos too.  I don't eat mangoes anymore. People who care for me make faces if I wanna eat those yummy stuff😳
mcm226 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Originally posted by: mermaid_QT

yepp mands.. I love the album  MG and hapoos too.  I don't eat mangoes anymore. People who care for me make faces if I wanna eat those yummy stuff😳

oh so sad dear😭....but there might be solid reason behind this warna mango se koi apne loved ones ko kyo door rakhegaπŸ˜›................now-a-days dental problem,weighty issues or diabetes r the main reasons aam se door hone keπŸ˜•πŸ˜­πŸ˜­...........but i dont want to get door of these yummy mangoesπŸ˜‰...har season me bharpur shouk farmaate hai hum Hapoos kaπŸ˜³πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

souro thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: manjujain

Types
The cultivated mango is probably a natural hybrid between M. indica and M. sylvatica occurring in southeastern Asia to India. The varieties grown in India are Alphonso, Bangalora, Banganpalli, Bombai, Bombay Green, Dashehari, Fajli, Fernnadin, Himsagar, Kesar, Kishen Bhog, Langra, Mankurad, Mulgoa, Neelum, Chausa, Suvarnarekha, Vanraj, Zardalu Hybrid Varieties produced in India are Amarapali, Mallika, Arka Aruna, Arka Puneet, Arka Anmol, Arka Neelkiran, Ratna, Sindhu, Au Rumani, Manjeera. Other hybrid varieties released are Alfazali, Sundar Langra, Sabri, Jawahar, Neelphonso, Neeleshan, Neeleshwari and PKM2.

Thanks for the list Manjuji. For me Himsagar is the best among commercial ones πŸ˜ƒ, tastes and smells so sweet, though it's shelf life is very short making it difficult to export and not available here.😭 Like SB me too don't understand what all the hype about alphonso is about, it tastes a li'l similar to Himsagar but not that good.πŸ˜‰ In our garden at home, we've Amrapali and Mallika. They're equally good but are more scented than Himsagar, tastes and smells heavenly. Used to have a tree of Langra, though not fond of it that much. Good quality Fajli and Chausa are also great.πŸ‘πŸΌ

Edited by souro - 16 years ago
TallyHo thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

There's a variety called Totapuri

very distinct flavor...

I have now developed a taste for Alphanso...having stayed in Mumbai for a couple of years. I too believed earlier it was hyped earlier but now I am just hooked to the taste!!

manjujain thumbnail

Here is detailed information about varieties of mangoes:

Alphonso (Happus)

State : Maharashtra, Gujarat, Karnataka and Madhya Pradesh. Fruit medium in size, ovate oblique in shape, orange yellow in colour; juice is moderate-abundant; excellent keeping quality, good for pulping and canning; mainly exported as fresh fruit to other countries; Flesh develops spongy tissue.

Bangalora (Totapuri)

State : Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, and Tamil Nadu. Fruits medium-large, oblong shaped with pointed base with golden yellow colour; good keeping quality; used for processing; heavy and regular bearing variety; susceptible to bacterial spot.

Banganapalli (Baneshan, Safeda)

State : Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu. Variety suited for dry areas; fruit large sized, obliquely oval in shape, golden yellow in colour; good keeping quality; good for canning; biennial in habit

Bombai (Malda)

State : Bihar, West Bengal and Madhya Pradesh. Variety is alternate bearer; fruit medium, ovate and yellow in colour; keeping quality medium.

Bombay Green State : Uttar Pradesh and Haryana. Fruit size is medium, shape ovate oblong with spinach green colour; keeping quality is medium; early season variety; biennial in habit Highly susceptible to both vegetative and floral malformation.

Dashehari

State : Uttar Pradesh, Haryana and Punjab. Best varieties of the country; fruit size is small-medium, shape is elongated with yellow fruit colour, flesh is fibreless; good keeping quality; mainly used for table purpose; susceptible to mango malformation. Dashehari-51-regular bearing and yielding clone of Dashehari.

Fernandin

State: Goa. Fruit size medium-large, fruit shape oval to obliquely oval and fruit colour is yellow with a blush of red on shoulders; medium keeping quality; mostly used for table purpose.

Himsagar

State: West Bengal and Bihar. Fruit is medium sized ovate fruit with yellow colour; good keeping quality; early season variety and mostly used for table purpose.

Kesar

State: Gujarat. Fruit medium oblong with a red blush on the shoulders; good keeping quality; ideal for pulping and juice concentrates; early season variety.

Kishen Bhog

State : West Bengal and Bihar. Fruit medium oval oblique with yellow colour; keeping quality is good; bearing heavy.

Langra

State : Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Haryana, Madhya Pradesh, Orissa, West Bengal and Punjab. Trees vigorous and spreading; fruit medium, ovate in shape with lettuce green colour; poor keeping quality; skin is very thin and pulp is very sweet; alternate bearing variety mostly used for table purpose.

Mankur

State : Goa and Maharashtra. The variety develops black spots on the skin in rainy season. Fruit is medium ovate and yellow in colour. Fruit quality is very good but keeping quality is poor.

Mulgoa

State : Tamil Nadu, Karnataka. Fruit is large roundish-oblique in shape and yellow in colour; high fruit quality and good keeping quality.

Neelum

State : Tamil Nadu, Karnataka and Orissa. Fruit is medium ovate-oblique in shape and saffron yellow in colour; good keeping quality; high yielding and regular bearing; ideal variety for transporting to distant places. This variety is mostly used for table purpose.
Samarbehisht Chausa State : Uttar Pradesh and Punjab. Fruit large, ovate to oval oblique in shape and light yellow in colour, flesh fibrous; medium keeping quality; extremely sweet in taste; alternate bearing variety; shows apical dominance. It is mostly grown for table and processing purpose.

Suvernarekha

State : Andhra Pradesh and Orissa. Fruit medium ovate oblong fruit, green in colour with prominent red blush on the shoulders; good keeping quality; bearing is heavy.

Vanraj

State : Gujarat. Fruit medium, ovate oblong in shape with a blush of jasper red on the shoulders; good keeping quality.

Hybrid Varieties

Malika (Neelum X Dashehari)

Realising Institute : Indian Agricultural Research Institute (IARI), New Delhi. Fruit large, oblong elliptical yellow in colour; fruit and keeping quality is good and is mostly used for table purpose

Amrapali (Dashehari X Neelum)

Realising Institute : Indian Agricultural Research Institute (IARI), New Delhi. Dwarf, regular bearing and late maturing variety; suitable for high density planting; flesh is fibreless; average yield 16 tonnes/hectare.

Ratna (Neelum X Alphonso)

Realising Institute : Konkan Krishi Vidyapith, Maharashtra. Tree moderately vigorous, precocious, fruits are medium sized, attractive in colour and free from spongy tissue

Sindhu (Ratna back-crossed with Alphonso)

Realising Institute : Konkan Krishi Vidyapith, Maharashtra. Regular bearer, fruits medium sized, fibreless, free from spongy tissue with high pulp to stone ratio and very thin and small stone.

Arka Aruna (Banganapalli X Alphonso)

Realising Institute : Indian Institute of Horticulture Research (IIHR), Bangalore. Plants are dwarf regular bearing; Fruits oblong; skin is thin, rough and dull yellow in colour with slight red blush; pulp is soft, pale yellow in colour; free from spongy tissue and fibre, stone is small 35g, TSS 20 Brix; average fruit weight is 500g. The keeping quality is moderate and is mostly used for table purpose.

Arka Neelkiran (Alphoso x Neelum)

Realising Institute : Indian Institute of Horticulture Research (IIHR), Bangalore. Tree is semi-vigorous in nature; fruit is elliptical, medium size golden yellow in colour, average weight 270-280g; free from fibre and spongy tissue; keeping quality is good.

SholaJoBhadkey thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Thank you everyone for participating and Manjuji for all the valuable info.

@ Anshu - In the mango season, I put on a couple of kilos. I love the langda, but because it has poor keeping quality we don't get it here. But that doesn't stop me from eating the other varieties. Here in the UAE we have mangoes all year around - in summer from the northern hemisphere, and in winter from the southern πŸ˜› We get a lot of Safeda, Chausa and Sindoori out here.

@ Souro - Lucky you for having mango trees. As kids we used to go to my grandfather's orchard. They used to grow a hybrid variety called "dharti dhamak" - each mango was at least a kilo in weight, hence the name. The mangos would be cooled in a well (a la Aamir Khan's coke bottles in the Coke ad πŸ˜ƒ ) and we would sit and eat till we got sick.

Alphonso may be good, but for me Langda is the KING 😈
SholaJoBhadkey thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: V.T.

https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/568868

check the link out... it was way before this post😳

i love mangos 😳

VT - when did you take up QT's duties? πŸ˜†

raj5000 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: SholaJoBhadkey

Thank you everyone for participating and Manjuji for all the valuable info.

@ Anshu - In the mango season, I put on a couple of kilos. I love the langda, but because it has poor keeping quality we don't get it here. But that doesn't stop me from eating the other varieties. Here in the UAE we have mangoes all year around - in summer from the northern hemisphere, and in winter from the southern πŸ˜› We get a lot of Safeda, Chausa and Sindoori out here. 

SB - Couple of kilos πŸ˜†πŸ˜† ... Good you get so many Varieties there, am not sure what we get here - whatever it is doesn't taste like mango. Fruti or Mango pulp sey kaam chal jata hai.

Manjuji - Thanks for detailed info on Mango, I have eaten totapari but name sounds so funny πŸ˜†

Topic -

Lagda variety of mango, yes it smells good but the hits you will get a sweet and juice one out of 10 randomly picked is definately lesser then Alphonso πŸ˜‰

mermaid_QT thumbnail
Originally posted by: SholaJoBhadkey

😎 @ VT
🀣@ SB
πŸ‘πŸ‘ @ MANJU DI
πŸ˜†@ RAJ @ totapuri