Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Shariefah thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
Marketing Divas

Wednesday, February 21, 2007  
Subscribe to Newsletter

Kareena Kapoor has had it easy, literally. It hasn't exactly been a rough ride for the Kapoor babe from day one itself. Even though she left the blockbuster role of female lead in Kaho Na Pyar Hai against macho Hrithik Roshan to Amisha Patel, she managed to garner much more publicity for her flop Refugee than what Ms Patel did for her superhit debut. And that was the beginning of a new mantra to market a diva - hit or no hit; the brand has to hit the headlines.

And it was this very marketing mantra, which saw the rise, rise and only rise for Kareena Kapoor. Even after a spate of flops like Asoka, Yaadein, Mujhse Dosti Karoge, Jeena Sirf Tere Liya etc, the youngest Kapoor babe saw all the big names from Karan Johar to Yash Chopra to Mani Ratnam and Boney Kapoor vying for her attention. Film after film flopped, but nothing changed much for Bebo.

And following in her footsteps closely is none other than our very own grey-greeen eyed beauty Aishwarya Rai, who, in spite of not having given a single hit in recent years (last was Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam in 90s), is the most sought after Bollywood actress today. But then it seems hits don't matter for Ash. She is, indeed, in the most wanted list today. Everyone is raving about her sexy skirt clad act in Dhoom 2. Her upcoming projects are also big - Maniratnam's Guru, Ashutosh Gowarikar's Jodha Akbar, Ram Gopal Varma's Sarkar 2, the Suneil Shetty produced Raaste and a Gaurang Doshi film for which talks are on. And to top it all, she also has the tag of Bollywood's highest paid actress.

So what is it that makes Ash and Bebo eligible for the big league which otherwise has names like Rani Mukerji, Preity Zinta and Priyanka Chopra who by now, must have lost count of their hit films? "Both Ash and Bebo have class. I know them closely. They have talent as well as beauty, and I guess this combination is more than enough to please the audience. At the same time, one must not forget that Ash is a big international star," says showman Subhash Ghai who has earlier directed Ash in Taal and has done as many as three films with Kareena.

Film critic Indu Merani tries to give a somewhat logical explanation to this unique phenomenon. "I think Aishwarya and Kareena are totally different girls as far as personality and presentation goes. But their careers are similar in the sense that they have got all the good stuff in spite of not having hit films. I think it's because there are very few actually hot leading ladies in the industry today. Rani, Preity and say Priyanka (one can count her because of her last two successful years) cannot take up all the roles, right? There are very few A-grade heroines. And these two girls know how to present themselves. They are also very media friendly and hence it has been easy for them," she says.

But why isn't it easy for other talented good-looking girls too, like say Lara Dutta? Why hasn't she matched up to this grade? "Kareena of course is a pedigreed girl. She has been lucky as she belongs to the Kapoor khandan. She also had her sister Karishma, a superstar in her own right. For Ash, I think it's more of media hype with her scintillating beauty helping in a big way. But if she has a hit next year, it can change things for Ash too because everyone requires hits," explains Merani.

Satish Kaushik, who worked with Ash and Kareena in Humaara Dil Aapke Paas Hai and Mujhe kuch Kehna hain respectively; is quite forthcoming too, but refuses to acknowledge that they haven't had many hits in recent past. "In the industry there are not too many such highly professional actresses. That's why they deserve to be up there. If you ask me what they had gained most out of 2006, I would say they were always winners and I can't really pin point anything," he claims trying to avoid talking negatively about either of the actresses.

But Indu Merani on her part tries to pin point the gains. "If you look back, I would say Kareena has gained most with Omkara. She has proved that she can act too. For Ash, it's her sexy image, which she has newly acquired. But personally, I think she looked sexier in her Indian Kajra re avatar. Maybe with Guru and Jodha Akbar, Ash too might have hits in 2007. Guess she will remain a biggie as long as she doesn't get married. I am saying that as talks of her marriage look really serious," she says.

And if we have a look at the past, this trend doesn't seem to be very new. There are examples in the past also wherein an actor, even though he / she hasn't given a single hit, had dozens of movies in their kitty. For example, in 80s, superstar of that time Sonam had close to 4O films in her kitty even before her first film was out for review. Similar was the case with Chunky Pandey, who, apart from Ankhein with Govinda, had no films to be remembered for. But he was one of the hottest starts of late 80s.

And the one most likely to have it easy in the near future is Deepika Padukone who already has films with superstars Shah Rukh Khan and Hrithik Roshan before anyone actually knowing her real acting skills.

Production designer Bindiya Dutta, wife of filmmaker JP Dutta who has had the experience of working with Ash and Bebo sums it up. "For us, hits and flops are inconsequential. We are only here to do good work and definitely we choose our leading ladies according to what they suit best. Like Refugee wouldn't have been the same without Kareena and Umrao Jaan without Ash was unimaginable." Interesting explanation, indeed! The girls know how to market themselves.

minuu thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 7

Kareena Kapoor and Shahid Kapoor come together in reel life

Real life pair Kareena and Shahid have yet not been successful in creating their real life magic on the reel life, but still there are directors and producers who believe the pair will definitely do well on screen. One among them is Imtiaz Ali. Apparently Kareena and Shahid have been signed for his next film which will be a romantic drama from Punjab. "Shahid and I have never done a romantic drama before. Imtiaz's subject just blew our minds away. We will be going to Patiala to shoot from March 15. Imtiaz has written the script himself. I am very excited and can't wait to get into character. Shahid and I are going to work extremely hard. With such a wonderful script, it will be a pleasure to work together again," says the gleeful Kareena. Shahid, who is right now enjoying the success Vivah which completed 100days, is also waiting to start Aziz Mirza script after Imtiaz's film.

minuu thumbnail

Kareena to at her best in Yash Raj Films

Did you think that Kareena looked her best in Ashoka or in Don? If yes then you are mistaken, Kareen is back in Yash Raj Camp and she is going to look her hottest best in the next flick of hers. Kareen has not been working for past nine months now and she has been working out to look the best. She is going to be seen opposite Akshay Kumar and Saif Ali Khan in this next Yash Raj Flick. So watch out for bebo guys!

minuu thumbnail

Kareena Kapoor to be honoured

The talented and glamourous Kareena Kapoor will soon be honoured with the Smita Patil Memorial Award for her outstanding contribution to the Indian film industry.

The award ceremony will be held on September 19 at Hotel Hilton Towers in Mumbai with Chief Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh as the chief guest. It was announced recently by Nanik Rupani, Chairman of the Priyadarshini Academy.

Earlier, this prestigious award was bestowed on Mr.Narayana Murthy of Infosys Technologies, B.k Goyal, honorary Dean and chief Cardiologist at Bombay Hospital and IIPM Professor Arindam Chaudhuri. So Kareena joins the big league of awardees with this prestigious honour.

Kareena has acted in more than a dozen bollywood movies and her performance has always been appreciated despite the fate of her movies. She gave a mind blowing performance in Vishal Bharadwaj's OMKARA lately. Now the audiences will watch her gyrating to the much-hyped 'Yeh mera dil' from DON. Her forthcoming films include Mani Ratnam's LAJJO with Aamir Khan, and Satish Kaushik's MILENGE MILENGE with Shahid Kapoor.

minuu thumbnail

Kareena gets emotional …

Sooraj Barjatya recently invited actress Kareena Kapoor for a special screening of his forthcoming movie 'Vivaah'. But Kareena got really emotional and couldn't help crying at the end of the movie. Apparently, Bebo loved the movie and was totally touched. According to sources, she actually cried in some scenes. Looking at her reaction, we can surely expect some emotional scenes in this movie.

We hope the Barjatyas recreate the 'Maine Pyar kiya' magic with this flick.

minuu thumbnail

Tusshar impresses Kareena

Kareena Kapoor is quite impressed with Tusshar Kapoor's role and performance in the recently released comic caper 'Golmaal'.

Tusshar Kapoor, who was initially sceptical about his role in 'Golmaal - Fun Unlimited', is thrilled that his role of a mute guy is winning him rave reviews from all, including close friend Kareena Kapoor.

'I was apprehensive about playing a mute guy since dialogue delivery is a prerequisite for comedy. I was really scared but I'm glad I could pull it off and my hard work has been appreciated,' he said.

"We have similar tastes as far as food is concerned and we do hang out together. I've seen 'Omkara' and I think she has done a great job. It is so different from her character in '36 China Town'," said Tusshar.

Kareena and Tusshar acted together in 'Mujhe Kuch Kehna Hai' and 'Jeena Sirf Mere Liye' during their early days in Bollywood. With them praising each other, we think its a mutual admiration society , wat do you say ???

minuu thumbnail

Kareena and Bipasha become friends…

Its always said that there are no permanent friends or enemies in the film industry. Here is an example of this. Apparently, Kareena Kapoor and Bipasha Basu have decided to bury the hatchet and have become friends. So now their four-year-old war is history.

It may be recalled that around four years ago, while shooting for Ajnabee, Kareena and Bipasha had a terrible fight and were not on talking terms since then.

But the two have recently apperaed together in Vishal Bharadwaj's latest film 'Omkara'. After doing 'Omkara', when Kareena was quizzed about Bips , she said "Bipasha is riding high. I'm very very happy to see where she is today" .

Bipasha too is glad to forget the past. "I think it's very sweet of Kareena to say such wonderful things about me. I'm touched. From my side, I've always said there's never been a problem as such. What happened during Ajnabee was so long ago, we were both babies. I guess we all mature with time," says Bipasha.

So is dinner on the cards? " Why not ? " says Bips. "We have so much to catch up on" .

minuu thumbnail

Kareena in Mani Ratnam's ' LAJJO ' ???

Remember we told you sometime back that Aamir Khan is going to act in Mani Ratnam's next film 'LAJJO'. The female lead has been finalised now and it is none other than the vivacious Kareena Kapoor. Aamir and Kareena have both delivered hits recently and are flying high on the success of 'Fanaa' and 'Omkara' respectively.

Aamir had earlier acted with Kareena's sister Karisma Kapoor way back in 1996 and delivered a hit 'Raja Hindustani'. But this is the first time that Aamir and Kareena have been paired together. We are sure the two powerhouse performers will set the screen on fire !!!

Shariefah thumbnail

Imtiaz Ali to direct Shahid-Kareena

Courtesy: Glamsham
Friday, February 23, 2007  
After the buoyant success of Bhagambhag, mega producers Shree Ashtavinayak Cinevision Ltd have signed on director Imtiaz Ali to direct a love story starring
Shahid Kapoor and Kareena Kapoor for their forthcoming venture. Shahid and Kareena have worked together in dam squibs like Fida, 36 China Town and Chup Chup Ke. It's time the two cash in on their real life chemistry!

Imtiaz had earlier directed the critically acclaimed Socha Na Tha starring Abhay Deol and Soha Ali Khan, and has now joined hands with Shree Ashtavinayak for another love story.

This movie's cinematography will be done by a stalwart like Natrajan (Natty), while the
costumes are going to be designed by none other than Sabina Khan and Manish Malhotra. The shooting schedule is set to begin from 20th March in an interesting mix of places like Mumbai, Chandigarh, Simla and Kulu Manali. The rest of the cast will be announced shortly, so watch this space for more

~*shima*~ thumbnail
Kareena was born in 1980! not 1977