https://www.instagram.com/reel/C2IN0xasiOv/?igsh=bzVrcmNrd213bmVm

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Posted: 4 months ago

Cleaning up the environment is good. Child labour is not good.

A school's purpose is not to be a factory. No child should be operating dangerous machinery.

Government should fund and protect all children's right to education in diverse subjects. No child should have to pay for basic education.

When society takes pride in paying taxes to provide education, the distinction between rich parents paying fees and poor children collecting garbage to get into school won't be a stain on society.

K.Universe. thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

The Right to Education Act in India mandates free and compulsory education for all children in the age group of 6 to 14 years. Government/public schools do have challenges related to infrastructure, teacher shortages and overall quality. They also implement mid-day Meal Schemes which provide free meals to students. Again, not vouching for quality or corruption but, on paper, they spend a lot towards free education and meals to cater to lower income families.

Akshar School is a private school located in Assam. I've read quite a few articles online after seeing this post. They seem to be doing a lot of good. Hopefully, children are not handling hazardous materials. Couldn't gather more information on how exactly children are procuring plastic to qualify for free tuition.

As for child labor, there is legislation that prohibits the employment of children below the age of 14 in certain occupations and processes that are deemed hazardous. Again, on paper, the laws are sound but I don't know to what extent they are enforced. Poverty is cruel and I wouldn't be surprised if the poor are forcing their children into occupations considered dangerous for children but here too the government (central, state, local) should provide social and economic support to these families to discourage child labor.

All of this shouldn't take away from what Akshar School is trying to achieve. I found it laudable.

Priya_SS thumbnail

I totally agree, it is nt acceptable for children to pay their own fees, I personally feel in an ideal world, every child upto legal age should be entitled to mandatory free education, looking after their safety and well being. Thereafter they can pursue higher education of choice raising a personal loan from the local community banks at low interest rate.