Thappad (2020): A gentle yet powerful wakeup call

mintyblue thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 6 months ago

Anubhav Sinha's best film for sure and Tappse Pannu's best performance to date. 

At its core, "Thappad" is a film about Amrita, a woman who is forced to reevaluate her life and choices after her husband slaps her at a party. What sets this movie apart is not just its portrayal of the physical act of violence but its unflinching examination of the emotional, psychological, and societal aftermath.

Amrita's journey becomes a mirror reflecting the deeply ingrained patriarchy and casual sexism prevalent in society. 

The slap is the trigger that prompts her to question every preconceived notion she once held. 

The film's power lies not only in its depiction of a single slap but in its unwavering focus on the emotional, psychological, and societal ripples that emanate from that moment.

Amrita's journey acts as a mirror, gently revealing the entrenched patriarchy and subtle sexism that still lingers in our society. 

I love this film. It's delicate, subtle, sensitive and layered. A masterpiece.

I am also happy it did reasonably well commercially....I think a lot of women + men saw it and though some didn't understand or get the message fully, the fact that many women and men engaged with the film is a step in the right direction. It's a reminder that even small ripples can eventually lead to significant change.

I saw it again and didn't get bored at all. The movie delicately peels back the layers of Amrita's life, revealing a profound transformation. I loved this.

Please share your thoughts/opinions.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

myviewprem thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 6 months ago

You are right 

Abuse of wife and woman is taken for granted in indian society 

Like father can slap daughter, brother can hit sister, husband can hit wife and no police or law or society will oppose 

Its time women take action for abuse both physical and mental by male family members 

I am not saying mother, mother in law, elder sister can hit or slap a girl even that happens in homes 

You do not study hit kids, if girl does not do house hold work hit them, if they get late to return back home hit them or threaten them etc all happens in india by parents and in laws and husband 

They could have highlighted that too in movie but left it out and concentrated on thapad by husband 

They could have highlighted how patriarchy is entrenched from childhood that its ok for father to hit brother to hit than only husband or in laws to hit a girl if she does not obey them or just to remove outside frustrations of life on a daughter or sister or wife 

How police and law never helps but protects fathers, brothers, husband, in laws in name of society and social fabric 

Edited by myviewprem - 6 months ago