Why did Kabir Singh become a raging success at the b.o.?

Poll Question :

Why was Kabir Singh such a huge hit?

Poll Choice
Toxic masculinity resonated with patriarchal audiences
It was a well-directed and well-acted movie with a great soundtrack
Login To Vote
Posted: 12 months ago

Watched Kabir Singh again and cinematically, it is a well-executed piece of work. The direction is sharp, the script is well-written, and the editing is impeccable. The music and background score are outstanding, and the acting is breathtaking. The film keeps you engaged and entertained throughout, all of which are signs of cinematic excellence. Moreover, Shahid Kapoor's performance is outstanding, portraying a decaying lover with violent tendencies determined to self-destruct after a messy breakup. His portrayal is riveting and the human equivalent of a train wreck that you cannot help but rubber-neck. The scenes in which he rages like a bull or comes unhinged are absolute gold.

However, if I were to turn on my critical faculties, my review would be different. The movie depicts a violent, misogynistic protagonist who believes in toxic love and will do whatever it takes to "possess" his beloved completely. The character is flawed, and his actions have been excessively romanticized. Most concerning is the film's writing, which uses humor to persuade us to accept its terrible and terrifying hero's obnoxiousness. 

My question is, why did the movie become such a huge hit?

Was it the film's controversial and provocative nature that contributed to its success or did the film's storyline, which revolved around a deeply flawed and complex character, resonated with many audiences?

What do you guys think?

Or was it a mixture of the two?

I selected the first option. I've tried to watch the film on multiple occasions but I haven't been able to watch beyond those first few seconds. I could never sit through it.

It was a raging success because the youth resonated with the film. Add to that, lousy, romantic sad songs and there you have your recipe for success with 'nibbas and nibbis'. 

There's not a thing I like about Kabir Singh. Not even the music. 

It’s timeless. I watch it once a year. 

Music.

And clicking with male audience who thought Preeti was a dream girl and think all girls should be like Preeti and it is normal for a man to behave like Kabir.

Kiara was another thing they liked about the film.

It’s a mediocre film with good music. 

It was a remake of an already very successful movie so why not. I watched the original, it was borderline disgusting, everything about the leads, both were super lame and toxic and then at the end Arjun tells us how it’s soulmate love like Hein? 

It was toxic and every man's guilty pleasure. Who doesn't want a puppet to control?😆

Satish Kaushik had labelled Kabir Singh as adapted copy of Tere Naam and Tere Naam was a hit, so maybe well made films on such topics do well.

Songs,shahid kiara jodi had nice chemistry... And people actually  like these anagry Young heros....