Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Anupreeya thumbnail
Anniversary 3 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 1 years ago

Originally posted by: la_Reine

There have been many Pakistani shows in which the FL ends up with her rapist usually they show marital rape as a characteristic of alpha males😳 In Bashar Momin, he raped his wife after forcefully marrying her, at the end he reformed himself into a better man and they had a happy ending.

Yarriyan was even worse, he raped her while drunk and then forgot about the night, and when she got pregnant he refused to accept the child as his and doubted her character. At the end he learnt the truth and she forgave him

There have been many other shows like Ba Khudi and Sangat where the rapist has been romanticized.

Even in the Indian show Jeet Gayi Toh Piya Morre, I never watched it because the promos were toxic enough, but it did seem like she was trying to win the love of her evil husband who was a beast.

A side storyline in the Indian show Balika Vadhu showed this form of storyline, Gehna's husband Basant raped her on their wedding night. And of course, as usual it's considered normal, so the next morning the mother-in-law (the vamp of the show at that point) sees Gehna's injuries and turns a blind eye. However Gehna takes a stand for herset and refuses to sleep with her so called husband the next night. The mother-in-law makes a fuss about it, asks her son to get a grip on his wife, but he doesn't do anything such thing if I remember correctly, despite being under the thumb of his mother (that's how his charecter is shown). Then something happens, the wife gets pregnant, many more drama occurs, but finally the wife forgives the husband. It was showing in both empowering (Gehna standing up for herself) and regressive (not only forgiving her husband but falling in love with him later on). I agree that they did show some major charecter developments of the husband but watching them together given their past was so uncomfortable. I watched this storyline because like the show for many reasons but I am always uncomfortable watching this couple in the show.

Anupreeya thumbnail

Great job in bringing forward this topic to the forum,  a much needed discussion, it's such a harsh truth of today's world which is often pushed under the rug. 

Viswasruti thumbnail

Originally posted by: Anupreeya

A side storyline in the Indian show Balika Vadhu showed this form of storyline, Gehna's husband Basant raped her on their wedding night. And of course, as usual it's considered normal, so the next morning the mother-in-law (the vamp of the show at that point) sees Gehna's injuries and turns a blind eye. However Gehna takes a stand for herset and refuses to sleep with her so called husband the next night. The mother-in-law makes a fuss about it, asks her son to get a grip on his wife, but he doesn't do anything such thing if I remember correctly, despite being under the thumb of his mother (that's how his charecter is shown). Then something happens, the wife gets pregnant, many more drama occurs, but finally the wife forgives the husband. It was showing in both empowering (Gehna standing up for herself) and regressive (not only forgiving her husband but falling in love with him later on). I agree that they did show some major charecter developments of the husband but watching them together given their past was so uncomfortable. I watched this storyline because like the show for many reasons but I am always uncomfortable watching this couple in the show.

I was about to mention this, thanks for bringing this to our memory. 

There was a huge age gap between the abusive husband and this innocent child wife [ 42-year-old Basant --14 or 15-year-old bride]. Later, with the support of her co SIL and her Devar's  convincingly correct advice to his brother regarding how to behave with his wife, Basant realised his mistake and sudharofied. 

Prior to this, there was high drama, because of injuries and discomfort, Gehna refused to go into his room the next day after that treacherous SR, he started consuming alcohol and visiting red light area, seeing all this, with concern for her son (????) Daadisa scolds Gehna and orders her to accept her husband's misdeeds as it is his right --- then Gehna  questions, protests, revolts, and then with the interference of Sumitra and Bhirav, Basant realises his mistake and asks pardon from Gehna. 

The harsh reality is that many brides still continue to suffer in the interior parts of many rural communities from such mismatches.

Anupreeya thumbnail

Originally posted by: Viswasruti

I was about to mention this, thanks for bringing this to our memory. 

There was a huge age gap between the abusive husband and this innocent child wife [ 42-year-old Basant --14 or 15-year-old bride]. Later, with the support of her co SIL and her Devar's  convincingly correct advice to his brother regarding how to behave with his wife, Basant realised his mistake and sudharofied. 

Prior to this, there was high drama, because of injuries and discomfort, Gehna refused to go into his room the next day after that treacherous SR, he started consuming alcohol and visiting red light area, seeing all this, with concern for her son (????) Daadisa scolds Gehna and orders her to accept her husband's misdeeds as it is his right --- then Gehna  questions, protests, revolts, and then with the interference of Sumitra and Bhirav, Basant realises his mistake and asks pardon from Gehna. 

The harsh reality is that many brides still continue to suffer in the interior parts of many rural communities from such mismatches.

@RED

Gehna was 18 or 19 I think and Basant was definitely twice her age. And this power imbalance adds to this equation of abuse.

@GREEN

Oh, was this also there. I have completely forgotten about it then.

I would like to add that later Basant realises that neither he nor his family is any good for Gehna. So he tries to find her a suitable groom of her age, whose interest aligns with her (both shared a great interest in music).

My only concern was her falling in love with him later on refusing to marry someone else (clearly the other person was more suitable). I can hardly digest forgiving but falling in love with your abuser and saying no to get out of that horrid life, I don't get it.

@BLUE

But yeah, as you mentioned here, that's the truth in many parts of India. May be the makers were trying to showcase this. 

But since you mentioned child bride, I remember a Marathi movie, Anandi Gopal, based on the real life of the first woman doctor of India, her husband was also older than her and she was a child when she got married. On the wedding night, family was keeping ear on the door and his husband knowing what was needed to satisfy the nosy family members rolled the noisy bed to make sounds so that people are satisfied something is happening. It was horrifying to watch. I mean what if this husband wasn't as understanding as most are. I mean that's the societal conditioning. Most people don't even see rape as rape. That's just horrible.

BrhannadaArmour thumbnail

THIS IS A "MEMBERS ONLY" POST
To view this post you need to Log in to India Forums.
MochaQueen thumbnail

People do change I agree. But giving them happy endings with their victims is just sad. That just glorifies rape.

Anupreeya thumbnail

People do change I agree. But giving them happy endings with their victims is just sad. That just glorifies rape.

Yes exactly my point. And it has been the mentality of Indian TV shows and movies for so long. Earlier it was without guilt shown. Now it's with guilt shown. But none of them are stomachable. Also it strengthens the "no divorce" mentality. Once you are married, you are stuck for life, even with your rapist. That's the sad reality of even today's India but we should keep talking about it, here and in real life. That might slowly bring about some change.

Srijeeta06 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2

Marital rape is still a new topic for people.

Once a couple is married, it is expected by the families to consummate the marriage as soon as possible, irrespective of the fact if the husband or the wife wants to do so or not.

Neither the husband asks permission from the wife nor do they think the need to do so.

And if in case the wife refuses to do by any chance then it becomes a big crime and most of the time taken on ego by the husband and his family because they think it’s a normal thing which should happen in marriage.

More like the regular rituals that are there in marriage.

Anupreeya thumbnail

Originally posted by: Srijeeta06

Marital rape is still a new topic for people.

Once a couple is married, it is expected by the families to consummate the marriage as soon as possible, irrespective of the fact if the husband or the wife wants to do so or not.

Neither the husband asks permission from the wife nor do they think the need to do so.

And if in case the wife refuses to do by any chance then it becomes a big crime and most of the time taken on ego by the husband and his family because they think it’s a normal thing which should happen in marriage.

More like the regular rituals that are there in marriage.

Exactly and the worst part is that most of the time the woman is under the assumption that it's her duty, because that's what has been fed in her head from childhood. First this assumption needs to break, we need more awareness. And ITV could have been a wonderful platform to raise these questions but alas, we are stuck with toxic drama.

As for the man's part (not that I am defending anything), this ownership of wife mentality is boosted since childhood in most families, it's what boys see their father do to their mothers (including domestic violence) and they think it's normal. Very rarely, people question these norms and here awareness about these issues could play a pivotal role. For anyone interested to dive into this topic, please do watch the episode of Satyamev Jayate where they discuss how the concept of masculinity harms men. There was a man who came on that episode, he said he never had thought that beating his wife is wrong, because that's what he grew up seeing, in his family, in his neighbourhood. He said he never questioned it until very late. And once he did, he realised how wrong he was and now he is teaching his son how wrong he was and not to be like him.

Anupreeya thumbnail

Exactly and the worst part is that most of the time the woman is under the assumption that it's her duty, because that's what has been fed in her head from childhood. First this assumption needs to break, we need more awareness. And ITV could have been a wonderful platform to raise these questions but alas, we are stuck with toxic drama.

As for the man's part (not that I am defending anything), this ownership of wife mentality is boosted since childhood in most families, it's what boys see their father do to their mothers (including domestic violence) and they think it's normal. Very rarely, people question these norms and here awareness about these issues could play a pivotal role. For anyone interested to dive into this topic, please do watch the episode of Satyamev Jayate where they discuss how the concept of masculinity harms men. There was a man who came on that episode, he said he never had thought that beating his wife is wrong, because that's what he grew up seeing, in his family, in his neighbourhood. He said he never questioned it until very late. And once he did, he realised how wrong he was and now he is teaching his son how wrong he was and not to be like him.

To add to this point here, there was a show Patiala Babes, where in the flashback of of Hanuman Singh and his first wife Imarti, this was shown aptly. Imarti just speaks back strongly once and that's enough to make Hanuman realise his folly. He admits too that due to his upbringing he used to think it's normal, he wasn't aware that there was another perspective, just one strong question was enough to shake his bias and show him the truth. That's the role awareness and asking questions need to play in today's society. So keep raising questions, and spreading awareness.