Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

BrhannadaArmour thumbnail
Posted: 1 years ago

Since NGOs were mentioned just as discussion of the real life topic died down, and there is interest in discussing TV and movies ...

Are there any movies or TV series that portray women's NGOs positively?

In the few Hindi movies and TV series that I've glimpsed, the women's shelter is always a brothel in disguise. On Marathi daily dramas, it seems that women's NGOs exist only to ruin the lives of respectable men with false accusations.

These fictional portrayals may create obstacles for victims of violence and exploitation in real life.

Naya_31 thumbnail

Originally posted by: BrhannadaArmour

Since NGOs were mentioned just as discussion of the real life topic died down, and there is interest in discussing TV and movies ...

Are there any movies or TV series that portray women's NGOs positively?

In the few Hindi movies and TV series that I've glimpsed, the women's shelter is always a brothel in disguise. On Marathi daily dramas, it seems that women's NGOs exist only to ruin the lives of respectable men with false accusations.

These fictional portrayals may create obstacles for victims of violence and exploitation in real life.

-

Edited by NayaNehaD31 - 1 years ago
Naya_31 thumbnail

My thoughts on cyberbullying and online harassment:

Creating fake dating profiles using pictures from other social media apps.

Sending inappropriate pictures and messages on social media apps 

Sending cryptic messages/emails.

All of the above could potentially leave a permanent psychological scar on the victim. It can cause various psychological distresses as well. The victim can develop social anxiety and paranoia to the point where it's all pathological. 

Edited by NayaNehaD31 - 1 years ago

Thanks for replying, but foster care and welfare are government-funded programs, not NGOs, and they are not focussed on women's issues.

I was thinking of the portrayal of women's NGOs in entertainment from India and nearby countries.

I've never forgotten a news article I read years ago about women's shelters in Afghanistan. It reported that preachers on radio were whipping up their audiences against the shelters, claiming that they were recruiting women for prostitution ... police were raiding the shelters and demanding sexual access to the women ... legislators wanted a law that shelters must surrender women to their families on demand ...

I still don't know whether to be skeptical that this was just Afghanistan-bashing because it sounds so horrific, or to suspect that our own countries are not so far from portraying women's shelters as enemies of society.

MochaQueen thumbnail

Originally posted by: Viswasruti

Great topic and very well written posts by all our friends. ❤️👏❤️

Cultural poverty, emotional emptiness, a lack of human instinct, and the continued dominance of the animal impulse, all play a significant part in the ongoing atrocities committed against women for generations. 

Rape, such as marital rape, and toxic masculinity in which sexual assault is accepted as the valiant display of virility and victims are made to take responsibility for their own mistakes, such as modern dressing, being out at night, or responding arrogantly to eve teasers etc. Sexual assault is just one aspect of the issue; there are also societal norms and institutions to consider, such as those that support impunity for perpetrators, shame victims, and demand women to make irrational sacrifices in order to avoid sexual assault. 

In marital rape   violence, dominance, emotional illiteracy, sexual entitlement, and hostility to femininity, all these factors play a crucial role  in stifling the victim's cries! 

Who has granted these monarchs and sovereigns the authority to trade a wife, sister, or a daughter, for a piece of land or any other benefits as if she were a lifeless object? She has to go with him to stay as a lifeless  statue in his royal palace! 

In any movie or in a serial,  if the hero has any doubts about the behaviour of his wife, whether it be due to discover a love letter or hearing a remark from a supposed friend, he chooses to leave her on the basis of those doubts and engages in intoxication and visits a prostitute while the producers force us to believe that he is in extreme pain!

Later, after going through a few traumatic situations for her and a good number of ganaa bajanas for him, he will realise his doubt was unfounded, and when his wife approaches him to touch his feet, he will accept her with a divine smile and some absurd talk!  😲

One simple question-- if a wife's love letter, or a gana jaana to park in her college days is not acceptable to this hero, how a prostitute is acceptable to him? [ Please, I am not demeaning a prostitute, in fact, she is the most respectable lady in this world😭 for entertaining wild animals ]   And most importantly, how and why has that wife accepted this fellow later as her Pati? 

What the hell are these creatives doing, instilling such beliefs in young minds? 

The advice of these creatives is that, by putting the burden of preventing rape on the potential victims, saying that they should take "individual accountability" for staying safe!  

To stop these horrific acts, the family system, traditions, education system, society as a whole, a mother as a micro alchemist, and the judiciary must all work together. 

Thank you bringing up the issue of marital rape. In many cultures, especially desi, marital rape isn't considered as rape just because the woman is married to her husband and obliged to do as he says, so she must "please him" as if she is his property. I wish people understood that marital rape is just as horrible as any other rape. Any sexual act done without consent is traumatizing.

I am aware of only one Indian TV show that addressed the issue of marital rape. It was the Marathi daily drama Uṃça Māzhā Zhokā, in 2013, that depicted how the women in a nineteenth-century joint family might have reacted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVXssKgFgnE

On the other hand, I am aware of more than one Hindi movie in which a raped woman's goal - either her own idea or projected onto her by a male hero - is to marry her rapist and thereby miraculously achieve respectability for both of them. While Hindi movies may be mostly invented by men to cater to men's libidos, similar perverted romances with sexual assault convincing a woman of a man's passion for her exist in fan fictions written mostly by women and teenage girls.

In a world where marriage is an institution of rape for so many women, often starting when they are not even full-grown, how can anyone imagine that rape is merely a dramatic incident foreshadowing a happy ending in marriage?

These misogynistic fantasies are as old as the story of Uṣā and Aniruddha in Mahābhārata - Harivaṃśa. I worked a modern teenage female character's impression of it into a chapter of my fan fiction:

https://www.indiaforums.com/fanfiction/chapter/30630

Yuvika_15 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: la_Reine

Thank you bringing up the issue of marital rape. In many cultures, especially desi, marital rape isn't considered as rape just because the woman is married to her husband and obliged to do as he says, so she must "please him" as if she is his property. I wish people understood that marital rape is just as horrible as any other rape. Any sexual act done without consent is traumatizing.

marital rape is a controversial area - as you said people don't even regard it as rape sometimes which is shocking. consent is so important. i know international shows have covered storylines around this but i think indian and pakistani shows need to show it more... i think the only time i remember an indian show showing this was na aana is desh meri laado. 

MochaQueen thumbnail

Originally posted by: Yuvika_15

marital rape is a controversial area - as you said people don't even regard it as rape sometimes which is shocking. consent is so important. i know international shows have covered storylines around this but i think indian and pakistani shows need to show it more... i think the only time i remember an indian show showing this was na aana is desh meri laado. 

There have been many Pakistani shows in which the FL ends up with her rapist usually they show marital rape as a characteristic of alpha males😳 In Bashar Momin, he raped his wife after forcefully marrying her, at the end he reformed himself into a better man and they had a happy ending.

Yarriyan was even worse, he raped her while drunk and then forgot about the night, and when she got pregnant he refused to accept the child as his and doubted her character. At the end he learnt the truth and she forgave him

There have been many other shows like Ba Khudi and Sangat where the rapist has been romanticized.

Even in the Indian show Jeet Gayi Toh Piya Morre, I never watched it because the promos were toxic enough, but it did seem like she was trying to win the love of her evil husband who was a beast.

MochaQueen thumbnail

oh another show I just remembered by Ekta, Kkoi dil mein hai on Sony, there the FL also fell in love with her husband after he raped her🤢

Although I am a fan of the dialogues and the complex characterization of the hero of the Marathi daily drama Jīva Zhālā Yeḍāpisā, it always bothered me that he could be paired with a woman who didn't know what he might have done to her after drugging and abducting her, simply because he was too honourable to rape anyone.