MasterChef India S7- Daily Discussion Thread - Page 3

Posted: 1 years ago
Originally posted by MommaMomma

I feel the same about Priya but that's the thing about team challenges unfortunately  I wish they had atleast let Priya know how bad her soup was. 

But I overall really liked Team Red's theme of Sindh to West Bengal theme. Also loved Deepa's leadership yesterday. Somehow I feel Deepa's thoughts about her recipes aren't translating well into the food. Both the pineapple dish and the mutton cutlet dish looked so good but both lacked something. Also I don't know why Ranveer was saying the mutton cutlet-hummus combo was very unique given hummus-fallafel is literally an age old combo.

I was surprised and super impressed with Dyuti. That Payesh Tres Leches was truly innovative. It's pretty sad that when choosing teams no one took Baa and Dyuti and Dyuti herself went to Deepa and said she will be in their team and it was for both Dyuti and Baa that their teams scored a point each.

Probably a naive thought but they were told to pick partners to arrange the kitchen tables.. Baa n Dhyuti wouldn't be able to contribute there. Maybe It didn't occur to them that it was a cooking team

I was a little disappointed with the red team winning. They may have had two winning dishes, but one of their dishes wasn’t even edible - the soup.

I’d rather have 4 dishes that may not all be too notch but balanced than have two excellent dishes.

I personally think the blue and green teams did better.

If I am to talk of the dishes individually -

Sindhi mutton cutlet with hummus and pita - this is a classic dish served in the Middle East - meat kebabs, hummus and pita. So there was no innovation. Secondly, the cutlet looked crumbly and oily. As a Sindhi, I’ve seen this cooked at home regularly and even eaten it. This one looked quite unappetizing to me personally.

Tomato chaat - it was good thinking to use plum since they had no tamarind. However a chaat isn’t really a chaat without tamarind chutney. 
Jowar Croquettes - a croquette made with a grain is likely to be dense, so it was smart to have a filling inside. It looked good, and I’m sure it tasted good.

Soup

Spinach and almond soup - I was excited for this. I make a spinach and almond soup which could be bettered so was hoping to get some pointers. But it was barely edible. Extremely spicy. Soups are easy to over season.

Corn soup - I love corn, and corn soup is my favourite of all soups. I liked how they added some roasted corn with lemon and masalas for that street side Bhutta feel. Corn soups can be sweetish, so you need to know how to season it well. So roasting was a good idea.

Coconut soup - firstly, kudos to them for coming up with a dish after two changes (no banana flower and couldn’t use methi as a main ingredient). The soup looked nice, and it did receive some good compliments. I actually thought they would win for the soup round as well.

Mains

Khichdi with prawn - I’ve tasted khichdi from Bengal and Orissa and they’re actually quite delicious. Very unlike the khichdi made in the rest of the country. They chose a humble dish and elevated it with the use of prawn and coconut. So it was a combination of comfort with taste. A sure shot winning combination.

The bagara rice with non oily gravy - the rice to me looked interesting. The broth not so much. The judges didn’t give any strong feedback, except saying they tried too hard in elevating a simple dish.

Some kebab - It’s a pity that they didn’t have raw papaya. They should’ve changed the dish to another kebab that didn’t need pasty meat or stuck to making meat differently. I’d like to believe their taste was fine, but texture wasn’t. Maybe they could just give the dish a different name so it was compared to the kebab. 

Dessert 

Payesh tres leches - I’m not a fan of payesh, but it was innovative. The dish looked very appealing, it reminded me of a rasmalai cake I once had on a trip to India. Dyuti knows her sweets and she created a winning dish.

Blue teams dish - it was beautiful to look at, and had it not been for the extra kewra they could’ve won. Kewra if used excessively makes a dish slightly bitter. Not a good thing for a dessert.

Green teams cheesecake - the texture was all wrong, the presentation was bad. The cheesecake was on the verge of collapse. There was no feedback on the flavour so I guess it was okay taste wise. 

According to this, I’d be most inclined to try the blue menu followed by green and then red. 

Coming to the captains - I think all of them were pretty calm. The red team everybody was on autopilot. They did have the strongest team.

The blue team - I think they had a good understanding amongst each other.

The green team - I could see some cracks in that team but Sachin handled it well consoling Kamaldeep and telling her to use coconut and that they had a lot of ingredients.

All teams forgot an ingredient or two, but managed quite well. 

Deepa is quite a story teller and I liked how she wove a story for her menu and spoke of the silk route. It added to the experience. I’ve seen her do this everytime, and it will soon be her USP.

The overcooking of the fish really annoyed me because even if duck is not a common protein in india, fish very much is. To not think about the fact that a hot pan will continue to cook the food is such a basic mistake. 

How do these people not have testers while cooking these very costly proteins? 

So happy for Gurkeerat 🥳

He's the most unassuming and sorted cook

Baa is my favorite 

Hamesha hasti muskurati rehti hain 

Originally posted by Deltablues

So happy for Gurkeerat 🥳

He's the most unassuming and sorted cook

His "aise hi select Kar loge?" was too cute..in earlier episode 

Originally posted by MommaMomma

No, her dish wasn't tasted yesterday.

Really?😒 why so? 

They should have atleast shown what she has cooked

Originally posted by Spicyfood

Ba is my favorite 

Hamesha hasti muskurati rehti hain 

Yup❤️ she is adorable. The way she just does everything happily has my heart. But I feel she might get eliminated 😒 the competition is a bit unfair for her. I mean it does place a lot of importance on innovation and presentation and in a way one has to know very diverse kind of dishes. So it will be difficult for her to keep up. But kudos to her that even at this age she is taking up this challenge, tries to learn th new techniques and pushes herself to try something new.

I absolutely adore how they help each other; not only Baa but everyone else.

This season is so refreshing than the really bitchy and bitter last season. I am sure people will get competitive but the lack of meanness is really nice. 

Edited by Deltablues - 1 years ago

I'd be sad if Baa leaves today but it has to be said that Baa understands flavours and basics very well; even better than many other contestants. If given the training she can nail these pastry techniques as well.

Edited by Deltablues - 1 years ago