Does the west care more about public opinion than Bollywood.

Posted: 1 years ago

I mean Nina is no amazing actress. Mostly made it due to being as pretty as a peach. But this shows how much western award functions are about pleasing the public. Just listen to the speech They understand the main task is to keep the audience happy. Does Bollywood sort of arrogantly disregard public opinion? Just look at how much the public has been complaining about nepotism for years now. On how it is compromising acting abilities, quality filmmaking, talent in general, to some extent even looks, no amount of plastic can completely transform someone, most just end up looking more funny and artificial (cough.. cough Jhanvi). Is that why Bollywood is experiencing a downfall? They just kept making excuses nepotism exist everywhere, I can cast whoever I want, maine kya taka liya outside talent koh lane ke liye, people who already know each other have a benefit of a professional rapport, it doesn't make me a bad person if I put friendship over making money and etc etc. They did everything but take public opinion seriously. That is just one example. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUDU1874Tao

I don’t think Oscar’s make people happy. The running joke is they nominate movies no one’s heard of. 😂 They actually thought about adding in a Best popular film award to attract more fans. But they didn’t. 

Originally posted by Maroonporsche

I don’t think Oscar’s make people happy. The running joke is they nominate movies no one’s heard of. 😂 They actually thought about adding in a Best popular film award to attract more fans. But they didn’t. 

I have heard the opposite. You love defending all of bollywood's ways that can be improve and save its sinking ship. You can take some criticism constructively. Not everyone criticizing bollywood is out to get them like the BJP IT cell. 

https://ew.com/awards/oscars/2022-oscars-fan-favorite-film-vote/

And they nominate films that might not be popular but are very critically acclaimed. Those are films like Qala and Jogi. It is amazing the nominated a joke like Dasvi instead. 

FYI taking public opinion into serious consideration which they did. That includes taking constructive criticism has its own benefits. 

https://variety.com/2022/tv/ratings/oscars-ratings-2022-academy-awards-1235210795/

I would say to some extend the west care more about public opinion. I mean, yes there are nepo babies in hw, but I don't feel they are given chance upon chance or that every nepo kid even goes for acting. Of course, hw has always had nepo babies and I feel now there are more than before and it causes some decline. I also think hw knows what their audience wants and delivers just that! People here love remakes and big budget movies! I cannot speak the same for bw because it's been a shit show for years now.

Originally posted by Grumpydwarf24

I have heard the opposite. You love defending all of bollywood's ways that can be improve and save its sinking ship. You can take some criticism constructively. Not everyone criticizing bollywood is out to get them like the BJP IT cell. 

https://ew.com/awards/oscars/2022-oscars-fan-favorite-film-vote/

And they nominate films that might not be popular but are very critically acclaimed. Those are films like Qala and Jogi. It is amazing the nominated a joke like Dasvi instead. 

But I think bollywood awards pander to fans more than Hollywood. Just based on them nominating more commercially successful films than Hollywood. 

But I think bollywood awards pander to fans more than Hollywood. Just based on them nominating more commercially successful films than Hollywood. 

Once again commercially successful films are some of the worst films. Again Bollywood is just catering to a selected few. They are leaving deserving films of art out of the equation. 

For Hollywood it has always been a balance between the box office and critical acclaim. That is how it should be. 

Example Dasvi trended worldwide 

Jogi trended worldwide 

jogi got far more crticial acclaim 

It deserved nominations not to mention the win at filmfare OTT far more than dasvi did .

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-features/box-office-films-oscars-1235058136/

Originally posted by Grumpydwarf24

For Hollywood it has always been a balance between the box office and critical acclaim. That is how it should be. 

Example Dasvi trended worldwide 

Jogi trended worldwide 

jogi got far more crticial acclaim 

It deserved nominations not to mention the win at filmfare OTT far more than dasvi did .

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-features/box-office-films-oscars-1235058136/

That’s all fine. But then how does Hollywood shows pander to fans more than bollywood. When Bollywood nominates more hits. 

Edited by Maroonporsche - 1 years ago

That’s all fine. But then how does Hollywood shows pander to fans more than bollywood. When Bollywood nominates more hits. 

Again in a voting award people were displeased with the nominations. They changed the nominations due to backlash. How many years has it been people have been complaining about nepo awards? Has it changed anything? 

Once again the difference between Dasvi and jogi is. Dasvi is the film of someone with a far more influential dad. Thus he is in the selected few.