Your opinion on Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (Minor Spoilers)?

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 1 years ago

Wakanda Forever had a very different tone compared to other MCU movies. Even Black Panther 1 didn't have a generic style compared to rest of the MCU, but Wakanda Forever felt different even when compared to its prequel. 

The movie doesn't have many grand action sequences or quippy one liners, which is a staple for MCU movies. Wakanda Forever is more of a slow burn and dramatic film, with not much action or humor. Shuri replaces T'Challa as Black Panther, but she isn't treated like the protagonist of the story up until half an hour is left for the movie to be over.

Due to this, it feels much more obvious that there's lack of a main character in the film. This seems like an artistic choice of Ryan Coogler, since he wanted audience to feel the loss of T'Challa (and Chadwick), by not making Shuri straightaway step in the shoes of her brother. That would've been disrespectful.

Shuri as a character had alot of growth in this movie, to the point it feels unnatural and not earned. In BP 1 she was this snarky but lovable genius, whose purpose was to be more of a comic relief. Now she's the face of the sequel, and a hero who has lost her whole family, forced to grow up and mature beyond her age.

Such a huge character arc would've worked in a trilogy where Shuri was the main protagonist from first to last film. Not where she was a side character in the first film to replacing the main protagonist in the second film, and third movie not even being out yet. 

Also while Shuri has taken the mantle of Black Panther, I don't know how sure Marvel is to use her in upcoming films. Would she be given the same importance, that Marvel was going to give to T'Challa in upcoming Avengers movies Kang Dynasty and Secret Wars?

Marvel would definitely make BP 3, but would that be with Shuri or T'Challa son as the titular character? Do you want Shuri to continue as BP, or do you want T'Challa jr to take the mantle? Tell in replies. 

LOVED IT. Fitting tribute to Chadwick Boseman! But Letitia Wright as Princess Shuri is so underwhelming! Ugggh. She was so  annoying to watch, atleast in the first film her banter & fun with King T’Challa (Boseman) was cute to watch, but with him gone, it brought home to me that she’s just underwhelming as Princess Shuri! Wish the studio would’ve sucked it up & stuck with the queer angle they wanted to bring into the film but no. Siiigh. 

Namor was quite a complex character to play & the actor was above average in portraying him- He’s more of an anti-hero than a flat-out villain & a better actor would’ve brought those shades out more. The only one I loved was Queen Ramonda, Angela Bassett is beautiful & powerful as her !

Edited by Mallika-E-Bhais - 1 years ago

Gotta start by saying BP 1 is hands down my favourite Marvel movie ever. It had a back story that had you almost rooting for the villain, amazing actors, stunning visuals and just a really solid story for a change. Most importantly, it had Chadwick Boseman. BP 2 was always going to be incredibly difficult to watch without him but I respect that they paid tribute to him at all given opportunities in the movie. Coming to the actual movie - was it as good as part 1? No. Was it still an incredibly good movie that is absolutely worth a watch on the big screen? Yes. Part of me really wanted an out and out villain, as MEB said, Namor was more of an anti hero. I liked how they went with him being a mutant and introduced that aspect and I liked the backstory of his people. Back to the actors - the speech Queen Ramonda made at the UN *slow clap* there has to be an Oscar for her somewhere. I felt bad for Shuri, but I don’t think she lost her quirkyness in this movie per se, she just had a lot to deal with. Nakia and Riri were good in their roles, but it was Okoye that stood out for me. My heart breaks that she never got to clear the air with Queen Ramonda before she passed. So yeah, acting top notch again but so incredibly disappointed with Michaela Cole being in all of 2 scenes. So under-utilised! 

I heard almost all good things about the movie and the cast. Got to watch it.

I indeed loved the movie. Don't understand why I face so many negative reviews.