•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 1 years ago

Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris by Paul Gallico

I feel upset when I see books rated low because they are 'unrealistic'. It's fiction, of course it's unrealistic! But is it convincingly so? 

This one is. 

The very premise of this book takes it into the 'That Would Never Happen' territory. And yet I found that I was happily able to suspend my disbelief and follow the protagonist along on her Parisian adventure of glamour and friendship. If you are always chasing magic in your everyday life, you'll enjoy this one. 

Most people will also be able to relate to the thread of realism that runs through the story. That of madly, desperately wanting something that you know you may never ever get. 

The blurb: Mrs Harris is a London charwoman who makes her living by cleaning houses for the rich and the famous. She leads a very quiet but contented life. Until one day when she is tidying up her client's wardrobe and sees these heart-stoppingly gorgeous Dior gowns. 

That moment onwards, Mrs. Harris has only one mission in life – to save up enough to travel to Paris and buy herself a Dior dress. She knows it's outrageously expensive and wildly impractical but she just wants it. This is the story of how she goes about making that happen and the people she meets along the way.

I'm going for the movie tomorrow. So excited!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO9JcPbbmAA

Loved the book so much

and looking fwd to the movie tomorrow

Tagging some more friends

You know guys, I am so overwhelmed right now. My heart is so full.

This book resonated with me emotionally.

I realized something, deep down, we all want something we can't have. But only a chosen few like the character of Mrs. Harris would actually fulfill an impossible dream. I loved how she actually made her dream come true, with the help of some wonderful folk who act as angels in her journey.

LOVED IT.

Edited by mintyblue - 1 years ago

This movie was cute. Worth the watch. It takes you on a bit of a rollercoaster with the ups and downs but very heartwarming.💙

Originally posted by mintyblue

Tagging some more friends

You know guys, I am so overwhelmed right now. My heart is so full.

This book resonated with me emotionally.

I realized something, deep down, we all want something we can't have. But only a chosen few like the character of Mrs. Harris would actually fulfill an impossible dream. I loved how she actually made her dream come true, with the help of some wonderful folk who act as angels in her journey.

LOVED IT.

Sounds beautifully heartwarming. I believe we need more such cinema. Life is tough, if cinema can help us in any way, it sure as heck should. I say so what if it's unrealistic? If it makes one happy, then bring it on! 

Originally posted by sev.puri

This movie was cute. Worth the watch. It takes you on a bit of a rollercoaster with the ups and downs but very heartwarming.💙

You've seen it already? R u from the US?

Originally posted by Pasoori

Sounds beautifully heartwarming. I believe we need more such cinema. Life is tough, if cinema can help us in any way, it sure as heck should. I say so what if it's unrealistic? If it makes one happy, then bring it on! 

Yes I agree with you! Heartwarming stuff!

You've put it so beautifully❤️

Thanks for the reco, Minty. I have a couple of days coming up, staying with a precious someone in the hospital. Desperately looking for uplifting books and movies.

this reminds me of the movie miss pettigrew lives for a day with frances mc dormand, similar theme, cute movies, i like such themes, it is also based on a book and is directed by a indian born filmmaker