Most regressive filmmakers?

Poll Choice
Login To Vote
NimbuMirchi thumbnail
Posted: 1 years ago
This content was originally posted by: diasingh2

Only adding my 2 cents here.

I completely disagree with the outcome of this poll.smiley24

Sooraj Barjatrya was not regressive, just because he created "family" films, and did not projected the "feminist" ideas of today.

HAHK and HSSH were a product of their times, and still rather progressive in various ends.

E.g. In HAHK, Rajesh ends up raising his child alone with his family's support i.e, a single father in 1994. The film also had some transgenders in Dhik-Tana song, and they were not ridiculed, abused or made fun of.... unlike several films from that time.

I find Maine Pyar Kiya cringe, but I can still understand why it became successful when it released in 1980s.
I like that  from HAHK onward, men were not shown as groping/molesting girls or as rapists in his films, which was the norm back then.

I agree that women still play traditional roles in his films, but those characters are a reflection of reality, and they go through a journey. I don't find his female characters as "oppressed".

The only film I would not dare to defend is......... MPKDH. smiley37 That film deserves to be trolled everyday. It will always be biggest outlier of Barjatya Productions. It looks like a parody film and full on meme material.

I have also watched his Isi Life Mein (2010), and that film is progressive too. Just because the film didn't have the modern definition of feminism (cigarettes + gaaliyan), doesn't make the film regressive.

PRDP was just a boring film, that tried to cash-in on the Salman's superstardom at that time

In 2022, I find films like KGF2 and Pushpa (overrated af) regressive and problematic. I mean just look at the behavior of the male leads. We made these ATBB just because the male leads had what? swag?

Therefore, I don't understand how and why the current generation so obsessed with discarding/making fun of Sooraj Barjatya's films, when we had far worse filmmakers in the past or even today.

Completely agree with your post. 

@red — Ek Vivaah aisa bhi from Rajshri is also progressive.

@green — Becoz he is not anti-social. He focuses on family values and that’s problematic to this selfish generation. (Not all but most)

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

NatkhatPyare thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: NimbuMirchi

Suraj is more traditional than regressive. His movies have ideal families which is more like his aspirations than reality. 

Some of the dialogues could be problematic. But female characters in his movies are good people and there’s nothing wrong in being good. He also has educated female leads, mostly helping father or father in law in the business. Ideal scenario but still that can’t be called regressive.

The most regressive is Inder Kumar and his type of stalking female n falling in love movies where female is Dil ki saaf but akal se pedal. Indian TV has same problem.

I also find women objectification very regressive. 

Totally agree! Traditional or conservative is the more appropriate word. 👍🏼

Although, Regressiveness bhi kabhi kabhi dikh jaati hai dialogues me... 

This content was originally posted by: NimbuMirchi

The most regressive is Inder Kumar and his type of stalking female n falling in love movies where 

Aaj naa chhoruun ga tujhey dum damma dum

Definitions of being progressive & regressive are very shallow here in this thread.

Nothing wrong or regressive in being a housewife or serving your family despite having a degree.

A degree or education is not only meant to earn a career/job but to broaden one's horizon and overall sense of being.

The word progressive and regressive have been seen with a very limited beam here in this thread.

Eve teasing and objectifying woman is more of a perverted thing than being "regressive" the definition of been regressive is also very narrowed down here.

---------------------------------------------------------

Edited by kingkhan22 - 1 years ago
atominis thumbnail

So woman is good only if she wants to get married and has no aim in life? Otherwise she is 'not good'?

What is ideal in women being in kitchen and men being babied and molly cuddled at home? Or men following only family  business and not doing any profession of their own outside dad's wings or always living under shadow of older brother? Are only joint families good and nuclear ones are bad? 

Edited by atominis - 1 years ago
atominis thumbnail

Lulz. 

Looks like I riled up regressive older generation lot with this poll. And here they are calling generations all sorts of names. 🤣

I have included 'others' option in the list. So you can mention anyone you want.

I know why people defend Barjatya and his worse than Kekta crap. 

Maroonporsche thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: atominis

Lulz. 

Looks like I riled up regressive older generation lot with this poll. And here they are calling generations all sorts of names. 🤣

I have included 'others' option in the list. So you can mention anyone you want.

I know why people defend Barjatya and his worse than Kekta crap. 

Any director who even made one scene where a woman is put down can be called regressive 

atominis thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: MercurialMedusa

Raju hirani and ironic that he does it all under the garb of being some revolutionary!

I fully agree.

Hirani has nothing for women. His films are full of sexual innuendo. Women in his films have no arc or character development. I always wondered why Kareena and Mona did not follow their passion in 3I and why it was only from male POV.

His male characters are also preachy types tbh. And that balatkar speech in 3I was terrible. 

atominis thumbnail

Sorry. Feminism is not about smoking and gaalis only.

atominis thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: Maroonporsche

Subhash Ghai ? 

Actually every director who made a movie where a woman forgives a man for anything can be put into this 

Ghai also shows kids subservient to parents and older people as gods even if older people can be wrong. Like Akshaye's dad is toxic in Taal. Amrish is toxic in Pardes too. Raakhee spoils Sanjay rotten in Khalnayak. No one calls her out really. 

Women in Ghai films are sex objects disguised as Ganga si pavitra. He also has black and white sense of good or bad characters.