Poll

Most regressive filmmakers?

Poll Choice
Login To Vote
atominis thumbnail
Posted: 1 years ago

Who is the most regressive filmmaker in Bollywood, and has made regressive content, that impacted real life too?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-PoisonIvy- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail

OP, you should’ve included that Vanga guy who directed Kabir Singh. 

Puri Jagannath ( Liger ) has made very shitty and regressive films down south.

From your list, this may be very unpopular but I cannot stand any Barjatya film. 

MostlyHarmIess thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

How are these the best examples of regressive filmmakers you could come up with? 😆

atominis thumbnail

I named more recent ones. Otherwise BW has had more craps in past.

I did not name anyone from regional cinema as I do not want to cause any regional wars controversy here. Nor I know full names of all filmmakers from there.

Alpenliebe thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6

All those filmmakers who normalize obsessive stalking as a mode of wooing your lady love. I just feel like kicking their butt so hard that they will directly land on Mars. Movies like Kabir Singh, Arjun Singh etc should be banned and all the digital copies should be destroyed to the level that can never be retrieved.

Then we have those gem filmmakers who hire an actress only to expose her pathetically. Most South movies are obsessed with navel show. That's yuck level ♾️.

And then our very own barjatya. I find his movies so regressive.

I can't point exact names of directors as I don't know many, so I mentioned my criteria. I think only SLB doesn't fit. 

capricornrcks thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: Alpenliebe

I can't point exact names of directors as I don't know many, so I mentioned my criteria. I think only SLB doesn't fit. 

Rather SLB has the opposite problem. He puts women on a pedestal and can't see the flaws -especially in his historical women characters.

Regressive? All those "friendship" movies like Saajan where the heroes seem too eager to palm off the love of his life to his best friend. Varun's Judwaa with all the butt slapping is in the same category. Aamir harassing Juhi in Ishq and Madhuri in Dil. Sanjay Dutt mocking Urmila for being an ugly spinster in Khoobsurat.

The worst regressive film has unfortunately been a Malayalam film Chocolate which has too many regressive remarks to address. Prithviraj however admitted that he would never do such roles again unless the screenplay does not glorify such characters and shows them clearly being in the wrong. Which is more than what Shahid or Vijay will admit.

Edited by capricornrcks - 1 years ago
oh_nakhrewaali thumbnail

David Dhawan will make another movie just for being excluded from this list

NatkhatPyare thumbnail

Without even seeing the options, my first thought was - Suraj Barjatya. Pata nahi kis zamane me reh rahe hain sahab abhi bhi... Kuch zyada hi sanskari type hain. But many people of not just small towns or villages but also from big cities and metros can still relate to his sanskari families... Anyways i loved his maine pyar kiya. Hahk was okay. Hssh was unbearable and vivah was torture. Uske baad koi nahi dekhi. Mpkdh ke to kuchh scenes hi kaafi the mujhe repel karne ke liye 😆

Edited by NatkhatPyare - 1 years ago
diasingh2 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Only adding my 2 cents here.

I completely disagree with the outcome of this poll.smiley24

Sooraj Barjatrya was not regressive, just because he created "family" films, and did not projected the "feminist" ideas of today.

HAHK and HSSH were a product of their times, and still rather progressive in various ends.

E.g. In HAHK, Rajesh ends up raising his child alone with his family's support i.e, a single father in 1994. The film also had some transgenders in Dhik-Tana song, and they were not ridiculed, abused or made fun of.... unlike several films from that time.

I find Maine Pyar Kiya cringe, but I can still understand why it became successful when it released in 1980s.
I like that  from HAHK onward, men were not shown as groping/molesting girls or as rapists in his films, which was the norm back then.

I agree that women still play traditional roles in his films, but those characters are a reflection of reality, and they go through a journey. I don't find his female characters as "oppressed".

The only film I would not dare to defend is......... MPKDH. smiley37 That film deserves to be trolled everyday. It will always be biggest outlier of Barjatya Productions. It looks like a parody film and full on meme material.

I have also watched his Isi Life Mein (2010), and that film is progressive too. Just because the film didn't have the modern definition of feminism (cigarettes + gaaliyan), doesn't make the film regressive.

PRDP was just a boring film, that tried to cash-in on the Salman's superstardom at that time

In 2022, I find films like KGF2 and Pushpa (overrated af) regressive and problematic. I mean just look at the behavior of the male leads. We made these ATBB just because the male leads had what? swag?

Therefore, I don't understand how and why the current generation so obsessed with discarding/making fun of Sooraj Barjatya's films, when we had far worse filmmakers in the past or even today.

Edited by diasingh2 - 1 years ago
subhs thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5

Luv Ranjan ( Pyaar ka Punchnama series and Sonu ke titu whatever)