ChanChanMan thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 1 years ago

Edited by Pasoori - 1 years ago
InaMeenaDika thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: BettyA1

You might be right, after all it is an amalgam four great Westerns in addition to having the great RDB's great music

The Good, The Bad and the Ugly, The Magnificent Seven, Once Upon A Time in The West, For A Few Dollars More...

Each every scene of 'SHOLAY' has been copied exactly from these four movies

Kudos to Sallu's Dad and Shabbu's Husband for coming up with a great end product...

Hayo Rabba !! poora taste bigaad ke rakh diya.. It's so heavily copied. đŸ˜ČđŸ˜ČđŸ˜ČI will now have to see all 4 to see how big of a fool I have been made.. But at least dialogue ka credit toh dena padega - "Kitne aadmi the ??" đŸ˜†

Billi_Bangalan thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Easter Egg Contest Winner (2023) 0 Thumbnail + 6

Never bothered to watch it 

Swetha-Sai thumbnail

Originally posted by: BettyA1

You might be right, after all it is an amalgam four great Westerns in addition to having the great RDB's great music

The Good, The Bad and the Ugly, The Magnificent Seven, Once Upon A Time in The West, For A Few Dollars More...

Each every scene of 'SHOLAY' has been copied exactly from these four movies

Kudos to Sallu's Dad and Shabbu's Husband for coming up with a great end product...

What? đŸ˜Č

I never knew that Sholay was copied from these movies.. I thought it was an original movie 

LizzieBennet thumbnail

This ending is really impactful đŸ˜­

Thakur and Veeru hugging and their combined grief at the losses they endured in this battle makes the final vengeance extracted at Gabbar's death seem hollow. đŸ˜­ 

TotalBetty thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Originally posted by: InaMeenaDika

Hayo Rabba !! poora taste bigaad ke rakh diya.. It's so heavily copied. đŸ˜ČđŸ˜ČđŸ˜ČI will now have to see all 4 to see how big of a fool I have been made.. But at least dialogue ka credit toh dena padega - "Kitne aadmi the ??" đŸ˜†

Sorry about that đŸ˜†

It's still a great movie, almost all BW movies are copies one way or another 

It takes talent to know what to copy and change it and make a product that suits the sensibilities of the locals...

Considering it was made 40 yrs ago it's certainly is a feat â­ïž

If you do plan to watch the Westerns, it could be tiring and hard to sit through if you aren't used to Spagetti Westerns, I feel they're more of an acquired taste

But "Once upon a time in the West" might be easier to watch 

Edit: It was made 50 yrs ago, not 40

Edited by BettyA1 - 1 years ago
TotalBetty thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Wikipedia says

"The film's plot was loosely styled after Akira Kurosawa's 1954 samurai cinema film, Seven Samurai.

Sholay is a defining example of the Dacoit Western film, combining the conventions of Indian dacoit films, especially Mehboob Khan's Mother India (1957) and the Dilip Kumar and Nitin Bose film Gunga Jumna (1961), with that of Westerns, especially Sergio Leone's Spaghetti Westerns such as Once Upon a Time in the West (1968) as well as The Magnificent Seven (1960). It also has some plot elements borrowed from the Indian films Mera Gaon Mera Desh (1971) and Khote Sikkay (1973).

A scene depicting an attempted train robbery was inspired by a similar scene in Gunga Jumna (1961), and has also been compared to a similar scene in North West Frontier (1959). A scene showing the massacre of Thakur's family has been compared with the massacre of the McBain family in Once Upon a Time in the West. Sholay may have also been influenced by Sam Peckinpah's Westerns, such as The Wild Bunch (1969) and Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid (1973), and George Roy Hill's Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969)."

Even A fistful of dollars was an unofficial and unlicensed remake of Akira Kurosawa's 1961 film Yojimbo;, Krosawa insisted that Leone had made "a fine movie, but it was my movie." This led to a lawsuit from Toho, Yojimbo's production company. Leone ignored the resulting lawsuit, but eventually settled out of court, reportedly for 15% of the worldwide receipts of A Fistful of Dollars and over $100,000.