Raju Hirani, Mansoor Khan & KJo voted Junaid Khan as Lal Singh!

Posted: 1 years ago

Aamir Khan on why son Junaid was considered, rejected to play young Laal Singh Chaddha

Actor Aamir Khan's upcoming release Laal Singh Chaddha required the 3 Idiots actor to play a man from different stages in his life. Khan goes from playing at late teen to a middle aged man in the movie also starring Kareena Kapoor Khan. The movie is adapted from 1994's Forrest Gump. In a recent interview with TV9 Bharatvarsh, the actor revealed how his son Junaid almost played Laal Singh in the movie. However, writer Atul Kulkarni had objections. So the PK actor took inspiration from his son to play the character's innocence.

In an interview with TV9 Bharatvarsh, Aamir Khan said, "The biggest challenge for me in this movie was bringing out the innocent act. I was 54 when we started shooting for the film, and I'm 57 years old when it's releasing. You'll see that Laal is middle aged when he's in the train narrating the story, but you see his younger self from college and youth. As a character, I had to be 18 years old. Then 19, 22, 23, 25, 27 and then 28."

On talking about the innocence of the character, Rang De Basanti actor said, "The innocence required for the character was so pure - it was difficult for me to bring out when you've lived so much of life. As an actor, you have to bring out the innocence. This was my biggest struggle. However, a very odd thing helped me out. While my son Junaid returned from the US after learning theatre, we were still waiting to lock Advait as the director for the film."

"We'll test Advait's skills as well as what Junaid has learnt so far at the same time (laughs). After two weeks of rehearsals, they shot the said shots. While Kiran and I were watching the 21 minutes long footages, we were quite shook."

"Junaid, became Laal as he played him. Some actors are skilful, they know their art and perform really well. While the others become the characters they play. Junaid became one." "My confidence was shaken after watching his performance, while I was confident for him." "The innocence on his face was Laal Singh and I would have had to work incredibly hard to get there. I don't have that innocence anymore and he did that naturally. Since he was my son, I showed the clips to Aditya Chopra, Karan Johar, Raju Hirani just to be sure. We must've shown it to around a hundred people from the industry and family. All of those people who were trusted on their taste, sensibility and intelligence where shown the clips. I wanted to know if they also what I was seeing there. Around 98 of those people came forward in full support." "However, Aditya Chopra and Atul Kulkarni, the writer of the movie had objected. They wanted me to play the character. According to them, The story of the Forrest Gump isn't that solid. It's an episodic movie which requires a star. A new actor can't pull this off." "I had grown my beard for 6 months for the role while the screen tests were happening. When we decided Junaid was doing the role, I shaved it off. When the discussions came back around, I started to grow it again." "Finally, Junaid's scenes were my inspiration for the film. I observed his eyes and took the character from there."

https://www.news9live.com/entertainment/bollywood/aamir-khan-on-why-son-junaid-was-considered-to-play-laal-singh-chaddha-he-had-the-innocence-require-186235

Interview link :   https://youtu.be/gpjd2wABpOg

Later on Adi Chopra who saw the audition offered a film Maharaja to Junaid. Shooting was completed last year, but release is on hold as Maharaja is a period film and YRF after recent disasters is reluctant to release a film picturized during the 18th century. 

Ye PK ka actor kya bolna chah raha hai merko samajh hi nahi aya 

Was Junaid playing Young LSC or Junaid was leading the film as hero? 

From the trailer, his innocent act looked bad offensive even. Hoping for it to be better on the big screen. 

Rest, don’t really care about his son and all that story.

What is this? 

Edited by FlyOnTheWall - 1 years ago

Page me advertisement hai ya advertisement me page hai

And there are star kids like Junaid, whose own father will steal his roles.😆

Anyway, 3 things.

1. Junaid is a giant compared to Aamir. How were they going to explain the sudden reduction in height?

2. Forrest Gump didn't have a good story?😆 It was a star vehicle? True that it was not a 3-Act drama. But it's so funny to hear from an INDIAN. Writers who are not completely rooted in the Western system (ie, mostly people who have experience with Eastern storytelling) have been screaming for ages that the Greek 3-Act structure is not the only way to tell a story. A lot of our tales are not told as 3-Act. 

Hanks was a success before Forrest Gump. But Sleepless in Seattle, Philadelphia, and FORREST GUMP came back to back and made him a huge name. Hanks didn't make film succeed. It was the other way around.

3. Finally, I've seen Aamir make a similar comment before. It was on KwK before ToH came out. He said it was the one film he chose because of the character and not the plot. 😆 Methinks Aamir saw the movie and believes it's going to flop.

Edited by HearMeRoar - 1 years ago

Sounds like there was some debate about who should play the role, farther or son. Son was amazing in auditions but they went with father because he’s a big star and will mint more money for the production house. 

The explanation about Forest Gump being episodic kind of makes sense actually. He’s not young throughout the movie and he doesn’t always live in the same story even. But I don’t believe that he listened to Adi Chopra of all people or asked Karan Johar for his opinion like this article says 😆. The tape might have been an audition portfolio for his son which he personally took to all these people.  

Originally posted by FlyOnTheWall

Was Junaid playing Young LSC or Junaid was leading the film as hero? 

Aamir was doing Lal Singh, but Advait was not locked, so Aamir told him to shoot 5-6 scenes and convince him he can direct Forest Gump remake. Junaid played Lal Singh in these scenes & nailed it.

Aamir then showed those clips to many people and 98% were in favor of Junaid playing Lal Singh, but Aamir did it as it was a big budget film & didn't wanted to risk with a newcomer 

junaid and aamir are a mismatch in looks, even if you want to cast somebody young they have to match 

also, what is this asking the opinion of everybody on earth, each one has ther own style, you should have your own conviction finally 

also the director doesnt seem to figure in any decision, pretty much this film is ghost directed by aamir, his conficence seem to be low, the way he is showing it to all and sundry

Originally posted by juba

Aamir was doing Lal Singh, but Advait was not locked, so Aamir told him to shoot 5-6 scenes and convince him he can direct Forest Gump remake. Junaid played Lal Singh in these scenes & nailed it.

Aamir then showed those clips to many people and 98% were in favor of Junaid playing Lal Singh, but Aamir did it as it was a big budget film & didn't wanted to risk with a newcomer 

Oh 

Junaid achha actor hoga fir to