Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

harun98 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 2 years ago

Looks doesn't alway's make you charismatic, it depends on your screen presence and personality, when it come's to commercial success Anil was more successful than Jackie Shroff and even more successful than sanjay in the 80s, I liked Jackie more but he wasn't as big of a Box office drawn as Anil was in the same period. 

harun98 thumbnail

Originally posted by: atominis

How is Pukaar underrated? Anil got a National award for it if I am not mistaken.

So how is the film underrated? Though it is remembered only for Madhuri and Prabhudeva song Que sera sera song now.

Nayak became popular on TV later so cannot call it underrated either. It has a cult following especially due to interview scene with Amrish Puri (the charismatic villain) and the novel theme of ek din ka CM.

Neither films are underrated. They flopped because Anil was a spent force by then and lost his ability as a BO draw. Younger actors be it Khans, Deols, Hrithik etc had caught fancy of audience by 1999-2001. 

There's no point arguing with you if you gonna come up with silly statement like these lol

atominis thumbnail

Originally posted by: harun98

I think Munabhai serie's would of suited him since he could play tapoori role which he has done in his older movies, i'm no big fan of anil kapoor but my contention was he can't do intense role thats just plane blindness.

Sorry. I do not think anyone else does bhai roles better than Sanjay Dutt. He is the perfect and only Munnabhai.

I never said Anil cannot do intense roles. I just said Jackie and Sanjay do intense roles better than Anil. Is it that difficult to understand?

There is a reason why VVC gave Anil same old bhola chhota bhai role in Parinda and not Jackie's complex, grey shade role. There is a reason why Ghai gave Khalnayak to Sanjay Dutt and only natkhat bhola bhai roles to Anil in Ram Lakhan, Karma. For that matter Anil is the innocent manchild in Ghai's Yuvraj also. 

Anil can do everything but his forte is still innocent, simple, common man or bhola bhai roles. 

Originally posted by: atominis

How is Pukaar underrated? Anil got a National award for it if I am not mistaken.

So how is the film underrated? Though it is remembered only for Madhuri and Prabhudeva song Que sera sera song now.

Nayak became popular on TV later so cannot call it underrated either. It has a cult following especially due to interview scene with Amrish Puri (the charismatic villain) and the novel theme of ek din ka CM.

Neither films are underrated. They flopped because Anil was a spent force by then and lost his ability as a BO draw. Younger actors be it Khans, Deols, Hrithik etc had caught fancy of audience by 1999-2001. 

Both movies flopped..I mean awards are great and all but the important part is the box office. Always has been.

Anil literally had two hit movies in 1999-2000 that were actually worse (the movies with Aish and Kajol) overall. 

atominis thumbnail

We are discussing acting and looks here. Not BO.

BO wise Anil was ahead thanks to choosing safe subjects, multi starrers and films with more charismatic and popular heroines like Sridevi, Madhuri or depended on charismatic villains like Amrish.

He also got lucky in a sense that Sanjay was non serious about his career and so was Jackie. Sanjay first lost years due to drugs, later lost years due to jail.

Jackie was never as savvy as Anil who is still PR and media savvy and admitted to bribing Filmfare to get best actor award too.

Anil maybe better in BO but not in looks or style for sure. He was never a pin up guy like Sanjay or Jackie. Jackie was a popular male model before he did films. So no denying credit to Sanjay and Jackie for looks.

Vinod, Dharam had better looks than Amitabh but Amitabh had better BO record. Same way Anil may be having better BO record but in looks, charisma, screen presence, style and sex appeal, hotness, he was never anywhere near Sanjay and Jackie in their prime. He only looks better than them now due to the way he maintained himself. Not in 80s or 90s though. 

I remember Preity Zinta saying Sanjay was her crush. I never heard anyone say Anil was their crush. 

harun98 thumbnail

I don't think they both have a solo chartbuster iconic classic like 1 2 ka 4 which is still remembered today

atominis thumbnail

I do not think we use the word underrated only on basis of BO.

Pukar was a serious and slow film with older looking leads inching past their prime.

So it flopped despite good performances and good music.

Nayak was probably ahead of its time and also Anil had slowly begun to be overtaken by newer actors by then or perhaps he looked too old opposite Rani in songs and promos which is why film flopped. 

But Pukar won him National award which is big. And Nayak is a cult classic now. 

So despite flops, these films did serve him well. Can't be called underrated if they got appreciation later or critically. 

atominis thumbnail

Originally posted by: harun98

I don't think they both have a solo chartbuster iconic classic like 1 2 ka 4 which is still remembered today

Sanjay has many iconic songs.

Anyway, one does not need song as bhola manchild natkhat chhota bhai alone to be better.

Sanjay and Jackie have more to offer as actors than just 1 2 ka 4. 

Too bad even an explicit love making scene with Madhuri could not make Anil catch up with Jackie who earned all accolades for Parinda. 

atominis thumbnail

Not at all.

Beta is a Madhuri's film. 

Mr India was Sridevi and Amrish's film. They scored over Anil in it.

Jackie stole the show in Parinda.

I agree Anil outshines in Ram Lakhan because he is besr suited to playful manchild roles anyway and that film was designed to prop up Lakhan whose character has a graph unlike Ram who is same old adarshwaadi elder brother.

atominis thumbnail

Tezaab is solely remembered for Madhuri's song now.

Not for Anil.

Subtract Madhuri from that film and see how many still watch it.