Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Maroonporsche thumbnail
Posted: 2 years ago

Originally posted by: atominis

LOL! Dhoom 3 is a legit hit. No way did Ra One succeed same way as Dhoom 3.

Dhoom 3 became the highest grossing movie of all time (it doesnt have that record anymore but it had for 1 year)

Ra One made 100 crore box office on 200 crore budget. It really only broke even cause SRK made deals with Mcdonalds and other places for promotion 

atominis thumbnail

Originally posted by: Maroonporsche

Dhoom 3 became the highest grossing movie of all time (it doesnt have that record anymore but it had for 1 year)

Ra One made 100 crore box office on 200 crore budget. It really only broke even cause SRK made deals with Mcdonalds and other places for promotion 

That's too much of facts for those who still cannot accepr Ra One was never a success at all but an underperformer.

Their 'phenomenal, richest, biggest superstar' has not given a single clean hit for almost a decade now hence the itch to downplay and undermine success of other stars and films to make their own idol look less bad or atleast on equal footing as other bigger box office stars as of now. 

Even Adi Chopra knew where to bet his money which is why he offered Dhoom to bigger BO star (post 3 Idiots and Ghajini) and not to SRK and started new Tiger series for another bigger star Salman.

Something that fans of 'biggest phenomenal richest star' cannot digest and see as betrayal why YRF worked with anyone else at all. 

Frankly even Ranbir is giving bigger grossers than 'biggest phenomenal richest star' of late and also more quality content. 

hotchoco thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 4

No wonder he is visiting faculty at IIM A whereas others are...ahem. 

Excuse me? 

I was enjoying the comedy in this thread but EXCUSE ME?

SRK is a Chubb fellow from YALE. The other Chubb fellows are all Presidents and Prime Ministers. He also has doctorates from prestigious universities like University of Edinburg.

Who the eff cares about Aamir "visiting" an IIM. My god. 

SRK is an icon. Aamir is just another actor. You can keep counting the box office crores from Indore or wherever but it really doesn't matter. Literally nobody even talks about Aamir unless it's in relation to SRK or his divorces. 

Please make a topic on Aamir alone. I dare you. There will be tumbleweeds. πŸ˜†

Edited by hotchoco - 2 years ago
hotchoco thumbnail

Originally posted by: Maroonporsche

Dhoom 3 has such a bad reputation that it killed the franchise in the long run. They completely abandoned the series because of how trash the last one was. The 3rd one was always going to be an easy hit because of the brand name involved. Same happened to Race with Race 3. 

Maroonporsche thumbnail

Originally posted by: hotchoco

Excuse me? 

SRK is a Chubb fellow from YALE. The other Chubb fellows are all Presidents and Prime Ministers. He also has doctorates from prestigious universities like University of Edinburg.

SRK is an icon. Aamir is just another actor. You can keep counting the box office but it really doesn't matter. πŸ˜†

Im not really a super fan of  Aamir or SRK but I think Aamir is also an icon. He is called genius by most people. He did that TV show on social welfare. 

Now let me preface I dont believe Aamir is a genius. But there's a perception out there he is. 

LOL! Dhoom 3 is a legit hit. No way did Ra One succeed same way as Dhoom 3.

Anyway Aamir made it without big banners, without relying on any jodi and despite avoiding media and awards most of his life. Unlike others who went to extra lengths to please media, did excessive PR and still do, are chamchas of big banners and attend every award show on TV or dance at weddings and endorse paan masala to be in limelight at any cost.

Aamir may not have so called hype like SRK or Salman but has more trust among audiences and real life impact on society. His films are still studied for not just marketing but also socio cultural impact. 

No wonder he is visiting faculty at IIM A whereas others are...ahem. 

Despite less hype Aamir has broken every damn record and it is he who began 100 crore, 200 crore, 300 crore clubs, proved every detractor wrong and succeeded despite his lack of height and lack of fashion sense or style. Even his ridiculous hair styles like Ghajini cut became famous.

Definitely good achievement for a man who is supposed to be 'not a phenomenon' or lacking 'star power'.

And success of films like Raja Hindustani, Ghajini, Dhoom 3 proves Aamir can succeed even without message based scripts.

FYI his other hits like DCH, QSQT, HHRPK, Fanaa, Ghulam, Ishq, Dil, Rangeela have NO message or social issue theme at all but are still hits. Commendable success for a star who is supposed to  have 'no star power and mainly does message films'. 

Raja Hindustani, Dil, Ghajini, Dhoom 3 are top grossers of years of their release without having any social message.

Too bad other huge phenomenon like Salman and SRK failed to give hits in message based films and their message films like Phir Milenge and Swades are NOT even average grossers NOR got good openings. 

Good luck. We will see when and if or how SRK manages to 'regain' his phenomenon status which is hardly seen much post 2008. Bas ek badi hit ki talaash hai...hehe while so called small star like Aamir was breaking records with Dangal, Dhoom 3, PK and even a crap film like Thugs of Hindustan did manage to get a good opening. Let us hope 55 plus phenomenon can manage to regain part of his 90s or 2007 glories and does not have to blame govt or particular ruling party for failures of his films. 

Oh boy, were you on fire while typing this out or what? Who here is denying that Aamir's movies do well or that he's a decent actor that you are flipping and tripping to knock SRK? 

Everyone knows that SRK's movie choices have been disappointing and that he hasn't had much luck lately but guess what? The fact remains -- Aamir hasn't established the same level of connection with the audience as a public persona despite giving out a string of blockbusters, and that limits his stardom in many ways. Someone with public craze in his place would make 100 times more money, and that's my opinion. Take me for example -- I watch Aamir's movies for the content, not his individual performance.

Aamir's movies from the 90's and early 2000's are not the same as his second innings starting 3 idiots either. If anything, Aamir started off as a "chocolate boy" that you were knocking SRK for, while SRK was giving out Bazigar, Anjaam, Darr, etc right out the gate. SRK excelled in negative, anti-hero characters and as a romantic hero during his peak and can still rock anti-hero characters if he gives it a shot.

Aamir rebranded himself with his movies starting around 3 idiots cuz there's a visible shift in his filmography then onwards -- everyone can see it. No point recounting his 90's movies to "prove" that he can carry masala movies now, at the present time cuz chances are, he can't. He knows and that's why he shed that off after Mela bombed at the BO. 

Let's also face it -- people went to watch Dhoom 3 to watch the third franchise movie, thanks to John and Hrithik's legacy, perfectly ruined by Aamir cuz he was terribly miscast. No matter how it fared at the box office, I'm willing to bet my last dollar that the revenue would have quadrupled if it was someone like Hrithik or John in the third movie as well! But alas. Aamir was a HUGE downgrade and a complete disappointment after John and Hrithik no matter how you spin the story. Don't even get me started there. πŸ€ͺ

For all his blockbusters and gazillions of revenues, Aamir's movies are mostly content driven, which is a good thing but along with it comes the fact that his movies don't ride on his individual stardom cuz guess what? He just does NOT have that kind of charisma. What he has is a reputation of coming up with interesting movies but people wouldn't bother watching Aamir and his 101 antics the entire movie if he wasn't relying on excellent script/content. The moment he diverges off the road namely perfectly crafted formula movies, he is risking a loss cuz people don't cut him slack owing to his "stardom" and public appeal. Sorry not sorry for stating a fact there!

Edited by SmittenKitten - 2 years ago
hotchoco thumbnail

Originally posted by: SmittenKitten

I watch Aamir's movies for the content, not his individual performance.

Almost nobody watches for Aamir's performance. He's a boring actor and never stands out. Most of his movies have better performances by the other actors. 

What Aamir is good at is giving the public exactly what they want to see. He has his finger on the pulse of average people. I don't think he makes great movies but he makes stories that the general public will like. It's an art to know the audience in that way. But the downside of that is that there is something very generic about the movies - for anything to appeal to everyone, it has to have no point of view or nothing strong to say/experience at all. His movies are like vanilla ice-cream. It's okay - everyone will eat it by default because nobody is threatened/bothered by it. But it's still boring and dull. It won't be anyone's favorite like a Rocky Road or Mint Chocolate Chip. 

Edited by hotchoco - 2 years ago
raj80 thumbnail

Originally posted by: hotchoco

Excuse me? 

SRK is an icon. Aamir is just another actor. You can keep counting the box office crores from Indore or wherever but it really doesn't matter. Literally nobody even talks about Aamir unless it's in relation to SRK or his divorces. 

Please make a topic on Aamir alone. I dare you. There will be tumbleweeds. πŸ˜†

This comedy is gold.🀣

blue-ice.1 thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: teri_Sanem

Stale sa topic leke aage phir

kya karein...bechare TM ki nayya beech bhanwar mein gud gud gote khaye...Aishwarya paar laga de...Shahrukh paar laga de...πŸ˜†

HearMeRoar thumbnail

Aamir knows his scripts. SRK doesn't. There's no sugarcoating it.

But SRK is the bigger star. People go to watch his movies. They go to Aamir movies for the story.

The biggest example of comparative stardom is this thread. Had to bring in SRK to have peeps write on Aamir. Or it would have to be about some affair with a starlet.

Edited by HearMeRoar - 2 years ago