Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

atominis thumbnail
Posted: 2 years ago

LMAO! Lagaan, JJWS, QSQT, Rangeela, Andaz Apna Apna, DCH, Sarfarosh, Earth, 3 Idiots, RDB, PK, Dangal are all modern day classics. Aamir films are trendsetters and changed face of Indian commercial cinema. No discussion of greatest films of all time is complete without Aamir films.

His films are ADMIRED and worldwide acclaimed and had good social impact in real life. 3 Idiots raised awareness on student suicides. TZP raised awareness on learning disorders. RDB inspired youth to take action and make social change. Even his ads have different avatars, good social messages and he does not play only himself like others do. Nor he dances at weddings or endorses every product or cheap stuff like paan masala to get 'richest actor' tag. He became highest paid male actor after Lagaan FYI. 

Whereas SRK films are nothing but forgotten drama and are used for memes and jokes now. Aamir has highest number of films rated above 8 on IMDb and most number of films which made it to IMDB top 250.

Your claim of SRK's yearly top grossers is exaggerated. SRK had top grossers of year only in DDLJ, KKHH in 90s. Sunny, Salman, Aamir beat him many times. In 2000s also Hrithik, Aamir beat him many times and he had only MHN, OSO as yearly top grossers. Post 2010 SRK NEVER gave any yearly top grosser whereas Aamir gave PK, Dhoom 3 and Dangal as highest grossers post 2010.

Aamir is bigger star in India and also matched SRK overseas as his films like 3 Idiots, Dhoom3, Dangal made more money worldwide than SRK films and his films also opened markets like China and broke records there.

Aamir himself is ENOUGH to carry film on his shoulders and chooses different subjects and is more versatile than one trick ponies who rely on heroines, particular jodi or music to sail a film through at BO. He is better than those who do only one type of subjects and always fail when they try something different. We all know how Gowariker gave a hit and Oscar nominated film with Aamir in Lagaan while SRK gave flop Swades when he worked with same director and usually flops when he tries anything else than usual romantic dramas. Rather Aamir has PROVEN a hero need NOT make so called jodis with anyone to give BIGGER hits on his OWN. His career did not nose dive after so called jodi actresses took a break or retired. Unlike SRK who is struggling to give big hits ever since Kajol, Rani, Preity left and even Deepika moved to younger actors like Ranveer. 

As for heroines, Aamir's films like HHRPK, Dil, Raja Hindustani, Akele hum Akele tum, Ishq, QSQT, JJWS, Dil Hai ki Manta Nahin, Rangeela, Earth, Mann, Fanaa had good, solid roles for heroines too. He is the only actor secure enough to let even a child hog limelight and he came only in second half of TZP and let Darsheel occupy first half of film. No other so called superstar is secure enough to produce and direct a film like TZP and let child hog more footage than him. Only Aamir could have done, produced and directed a TZP when others were still stuck in romantic dramas.

Yeah SRK respects women so much which is why he destroyed Ash's career and removed her from so many big films and colluded with Salman to ruin career of biggest upcoming female star in 2000s? 

Aamir and Salman can carry films on their shoulders alone whereas SRK needs heroines, music and big banners to make his films work. Aamir gives hits with even small or less known directors. He is anyday a bigger and BETTER QUALITY ACTOR than SRK ever was or ever will be. Even his ads are more memorable than SRK who plays himself in every film and ad. 

Even his flop Mangal Pandey broke opening records in 2005 and grossed way more than SRK's flop Paheli. And as if now also his Thugs of Hindustan had better opening than Harry Met Sejal of SRK. 

Edited by atominis - 2 years ago
raj80 thumbnail

Originally posted by: RaniPreityAish

I ask you which movies are more rewatchable and discussed these days? Who talks about Lagaan or 3 Idiots now? The YRJ and KJo movies still merit discussion and have some of the most popular Bollywood songs ever. Every wedding or event will play music from SRK's classic films. Meanwhile do you ever hear Zoobi Doobi played? SRK's movies would be immortalized by their songs alone, without even accounting for their magnificent performances and blockbuster grosses.

Also you conveniently ignored that SRK's movies regularly were the #1 highest grossing movie of the year during the 90s and 2000s. Overseas he is still king and was #1 at the international box office in the 2010s. That's the reason he is called the King of Bollywood unlike Mr. Perfectionist who boycotts award ceremonies because they did not award him once. That reminds me, look at how many Filmfare Awards and National Awards SRK is the recipient of compared to Aamir. SRK worldwide is the bigger star: more recognized, has more endorsements, and is considered the richest star in all the world. 

Let's also consider their respective treatment of women. SRK's movies have been universally loved by women because of how he always showcases his female co-star and gives them meaty and groundbreaking roles. Can you see Aamir letting his female lead take top billing over him when he barely gives them good roles in his movies in the first place? After the 90s, Aamir became very particular about scripts that showcase him and only him, perhaps feeling his talent will not pull through alone. SRK has no such compunctions or insecurities for he has always respected women. SRK has about a dozen classic jodis and his co-stars always praise him and say he is their favorite actor to work with. Aamir only had one classic jodi which was with Juhi and he cut her off as well due to his hostile and intolerant personality.

Finally you bring up SRK's latest flops but then why not balance out the playing field and remember Aamir's most embarrassing moments. Thugs of Hindustan??? His embarrassing attempt at an item song?

raj80 thumbnail

Lagaan was first offered to Aamir.

DCH was not offered to SRK.

RDB,he was offered Maddy's role.

Anjalika01 thumbnail
Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: atominis

He rejected DCH also. Glad he rejected those films. He was a misfit for these films anyway. SRK only plays safe. He never had it in him to do a Lagaan, DCH, RDB, 3 Idiots.

I am also glad he rejected Munnabhai MBBS. He could never have done what Sanju did in Munnabhai series. 

It was his loss that he remained confined to same old rom coms by YRF, Dharma and Farah Khan. 

He is a limited ham actor only good for romantic roles and now flopping since he is too old and jaded for those same old lover boy roles. He never had it in him to play Bhuvan, Rancho, Akash, DJ, Munnabhai etc.

Cold hard truth right here.

Maroonporsche thumbnail

Even as a Salman fan nowadays I find myself loving Govinda movies/songs more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAiBTGoXleE

Edited by Maroonporsche - 2 years ago
atominis thumbnail

Originally posted by: raj80

Lagaan was first offered to Aamir.

DCH was not offered to SRK.

RDB,he was offered Maddy's role.

Lagaan was offered to SRK and even Abhishek Bachchan. 

Both rejected it only to eat humble pie later.

3 Idiots, Munnabhai MBBS were offered to SRK as well. But I am glad the ham actor did not do those films.

These all films are classics and have perfect cast eventually, changed face of Indian cinema and I am glad one trick ponies did not ruin these films.

Originally posted by: RaniPreityAish

I ask you which movies are more rewatchable and discussed these days? Who talks about Lagaan or 3 Idiots now? The YRJ and KJo movies still merit discussion and have some of the most popular Bollywood songs ever. Every wedding or event will play music from SRK's classic films. Meanwhile do you ever hear Zoobi Doobi played? SRK's movies would be immortalized by their songs alone, without even accounting for their magnificent performances and blockbuster grosses.

Also you conveniently ignored that SRK's movies regularly were the #1 highest grossing movie of the year during the 90s and 2000s. Overseas he is still king and was #1 at the international box office in the 2010s. That's the reason he is called the King of Bollywood unlike Mr. Perfectionist who boycotts award ceremonies because they did not award him once. That reminds me, look at how many Filmfare Awards and National Awards SRK is the recipient of compared to Aamir. SRK worldwide is the bigger star: more recognized, has more endorsements, and is considered the richest star in all the world. 

Let's also consider their respective treatment of women. SRK's movies have been universally loved by women because of how he always showcases his female co-star and gives them meaty and groundbreaking roles. Can you see Aamir letting his female lead take top billing over him when he barely gives them good roles in his movies in the first place? After the 90s, Aamir became very particular about scripts that showcase him and only him, perhaps feeling his talent will not pull through alone. SRK has no such compunctions or insecurities for he has always respected women. SRK has about a dozen classic jodis and his co-stars always praise him and say he is their favorite actor to work with. Aamir only had one classic jodi which was with Juhi and he cut her off as well due to his hostile and intolerant personality.

Finally you bring up SRK's latest flops but then why not balance out the playing field and remember Aamir's most embarrassing moments. Thugs of Hindustan??? His embarrassing attempt at an item song?

I see that MDNA has successfully managed to start fire between SRK and Aamir fanbase here. smiley34

I like Aamir as an actor but I think some people here need a reminder of that one movie where he veered off course -- Dhoom 3, the trainwreck.😆 Not that I mind Aamir playing safe with his "entertain with a social message" formula cuz it seems to bring the best out of him ... he should def. continue on the same track. 

atominis thumbnail

Entertain with social message is also not everyone's cup of tea. SRK flopped with Swades. His only social message film which succeeded was CDI. 

BTW, 'entertain with social message' genre is more difficult to pull off so that audience does not get bored.

Not everyone can pull it off. Shahid tried a message film like Paathshala but despite a promising subject, the film failed both critically and commercially. SRK's Swades flopped.

Anyday entertain with social message is better for an actor at any age rather than middle aged men still playing lover boys.

Only Aamir could have played an ageing, flabby dad and still broken records with Dangal when other actors of his age were still stuck in romantic roles and would refuse to age onscreen. 

I am glad you made point on Dhoom 3. The success of Ghajini and Dhoom 3 proves Aamir can break records even if script is not great. It proves those people wrong who claim Aamir gets success only due to scripts (as if choosing good scripts and having good script sense is wrong! lol! ).

Originally posted by: atominis

Entertain with social message is also not everyone's cup of tea. SRK flopped with Swades. His only social message film which succeeded was CDI. 

BTW, 'entertain with social message' genre is more difficult to pull off so that audience does not get bored.

Not everyone can pull it off. Shahid tried a message film like Paathshala but despite a promising subject, the film failed both critically and commercially. SRK's Swades flopped.

Anyday entertain with social message is better for an actor at any age rather than middle aged men still playing lover boys.

Only Aamir could have played an ageing, flabby dad and still broken records with Dangal when other actors of his age were still stuck in romantic roles and would refuse to age onscreen. 

I am glad you made point on Dhoom 3. The success of Ghajini and Dhoom 3 proves Aamir can break records even if script is not great. It proves those people wrong who claim Aamir gets success only due to scripts (as if choosing good scripts and having good script sense is wrong! lol! ).

It is important to highlight Aamir's success riding mostly on his script choice and movies because he doesn't have the kind of star power that Shahrukh wields even without an exceptional movie to back him, you know what I mean? It's not a bad thing but if you're comparing him to SRK or Salman for whatever reasons, Aamir's lack of impact as a public persona has to be brought to attention cuz that's a competitive advantage he does NOT have over his other "rivals." In simpler terms, he's a good actor who makes decent movies but as a celebrity, the other two Khans are head and shoulders above him in many ways. I don't like Salman but I like SRK and the phenomenon he was at his peak and I believe that he still can be once he manages to break the BO dry spell.

It is definitely Aamir's forte - entertain with social message. It's a timeless formula cuz he can pick an issue and create the usual variety of chicken noodle soup out of it to entertain people. Good for him for nailing that! I watch his movies but I really don't care about him beyond the three hours I spend watching his movies once every 1-2 years.

As for Dhoom 3's "success," Ra.one was successful at the box office much the same way, but it doesn't change the obvious aka they both sucked as movies.

atominis thumbnail

LOL! Dhoom 3 is a legit hit. No way did Ra One succeed same way as Dhoom 3.

Anyway Aamir made it without big banners, without relying on any jodi and despite avoiding media and awards most of his life. Unlike others who went to extra lengths to please media, did excessive PR and still do, are chamchas of big banners and attend every award show on TV or dance at weddings and endorse paan masala to be in limelight at any cost.

Aamir may not have so called hype like SRK or Salman but has more trust among audiences and real life impact on society. His films are still studied for not just marketing but also socio cultural impact. 

No wonder he is visiting faculty at IIM A whereas others are...ahem. 

Despite less hype Aamir has broken every damn record and it is he who began 100 crore, 200 crore, 300 crore clubs, proved every detractor wrong and succeeded despite his lack of height and lack of fashion sense or style. Even his ridiculous hair styles like Ghajini cut became famous.

Definitely good achievement for a man who is supposed to be 'not a phenomenon' or lacking 'star power'.

And success of films like Raja Hindustani, Ghajini, Dhoom 3 proves Aamir can succeed even without message based scripts.

FYI his other hits like DCH, QSQT, HHRPK, Fanaa, Ghulam, Ishq, Dil, Rangeela have NO message or social issue theme at all but are still hits. Commendable success for a star who is supposed to  have 'no star power and mainly does message films'. 

Raja Hindustani, Dil, Ghajini, Dhoom 3 are top grossers of years of their release without having any social message.

Too bad other huge phenomenon like Salman and SRK failed to give hits in message based films and their message films like Phir Milenge and Swades are NOT even average grossers NOR got good openings. 

Good luck. We will see when and if or how SRK manages to 'regain' his phenomenon status which is hardly seen much post 2008. Bas ek badi hit ki talaash hai...hehe while so called small star like Aamir was breaking records with Dangal, Dhoom 3, PK and even a crap film like Thugs of Hindustan did manage to get a good opening. Let us hope 55 plus phenomenon can manage to regain part of his 90s or 2007 glories and does not have to blame govt or particular ruling party for failures of his films.