Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

TotalBetty thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 2 years ago

Originally posted by: Festival

I hope you are doing good now, Pooja. Get vaccination if you can. I have heard that the next Covid variants are going to be deadlier and more inectious.

Really? I heard they're gonna be more contagious but milder

Festival thumbnail

Originally posted by: BettyA1

Really? I heard they're gonna be more contagious but milder

https://www.mid-day.com/amp/news/world-news/article/milder-omicron-an-evolutionary-mistake-expert-23208560

Milder Omicron an ‘evolutionary mistake’: Expert

08 January,2022 07:31 AM IST |  London  |  Agencies

Share:   

Indian-origin UK expert says the next variant will not necessarily have these characteristics and could go back to the severity that we’ve seen before

The reduced severity of Omicron is good news for now, but it is the result of an "evolutionary mistake" as COVID-19 is transmitting very efficiently and there is no reason for it to become milder, indicating that the next variant could be more virulent, a leading Indian-origin scientist from the University of Cambridge has warned. Ravindra Gupta, Professor of Clinical Microbiology at the Cambridge Institute for Therapeutic Immunology and Infectious Diseases (CITIID), led a recent study on the Omicron variant and was among the first globally to describe the modified fusion mechanism of cells at play which might make Omicron more visible to the body's immune defences.

While the study showed that the new variant, dominant in the UK and now sweeping parts of India, is infecting the cells found in the lungs less, the virus itself is not intending to become milder.

"There is this assumption that viruses become more benign over time but that's not what's happening here because those are long-term evolutionary trends," Prof. Gupta told PTI in an interview on Thursday.

"SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) does not have that issue because it is transmitting very efficiently so it doesn't have any reason to become milder, especially in the era of vaccination with plenty of susceptible hosts. So that's why I think it's an evolutionary mistake. It's not something intentional that the virus is trying to do to change its biology," he explained.

"This finding of reduced severity with Omicron is obviously good news for now but the next variant that comes, and there will be one, will not necessarily have these characteristics and could go back to the severity that we've seen before.

"And, in fact I think it probably will… Therefore, blocking infection is a potentially desirable thing to do rather than what I've heard, which is people seeing this as a natural vaccine. That is an understandable but dangerous thing to do because we don't understand the complete implications of different variants on our health," he said.

The scientist who advises the UK government's Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (SAGE) and New and Emerging Respiratory Virus Threats Advisory Group (NERVTAG), keeping up the vaccination drive is important because that remains "our first line of defence" against the virus.

"Whilst we have a situation of a milder variant, we should use that as a chance to increase vaccination coverage," he said.

Edited by Festival - 2 years ago
Joannna thumbnail
Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 2 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

So she won’t travel at all ?
Not attend malls and restaurants coz it’s mandatory to have a double vaccinated certificate ??