Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

TotalBetty thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 2 years ago

Originally posted by: nigahen

Hey Bets ðŸ¤— I watched Bobby a couple of years ago....I think it was very Lolita ish vibes. I think that's main reason....and she looked pretty and fresh faced in that...My father told me there were people....I am guessing men...who watched it multiple times in the theatre...so yes I think Lolita fosho

I thought Rishi was just awful tho...she had more presence than him definitely. Boring movie overall. 

ðŸ¤—

I heard that too... Men were crazy about her... No wonder dressed like this throughout the movie, I mean bikini has become blase only now in BW right (or has it?)

Dimple Kapadia was a style icon in Bobby

Bobby and her fashion was very popular among women too

Underline - I thought the opposite. after recent viewing although I've seen it couple of times before

- She was awful, he was great but both looked gorgeous but esp him IMO

TotalBetty thumbnail

Originally posted by: capricornrcks

Yes Himmatwala was a gamechanger. But at that point in her career she was never considered capable of carrying a whole film on her shoulders like she did in the late 80s. She still needed a popular hero to deliver a hit. I had forgotten about Jeetendra. Yes, she benefited from his support. I think Rekha also helped, more in grooming and presenting herself in a proper format to be accepted  by the Bollywood industry.

Bold - According to Sri that's not true... That rumor was spread by Rekha herself

I won't be surprised if that was true given her penchant for staying in the news and attention. hook line and sinker

Maybe she thought if cannot beat them join them...Sri took away her position so Rekha at least wanted credit for her raise in the industry

capricornrcks thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: BettyA1

Bold - According to Sri that's not true... That rumor was spread by Rekha herself

I won't be surprised if that was true given her penchant for staying in the news and attention. hook line and sinker

Maybe she thought if cannot beat them join them...Sri took away her position so Rekha at least wanted credit for her raise in the industry

Maybe Rekha gave a couple of tips and Sri considered it as usueless advice. Who knows? I wouldn't believe either of them. Yes, Rekha is a pro at manipulating the journos and staying relevant. By the way, how come Jeetendra has so many connections in the South? Ektaa too mentioned how the connection with Rajnikanth helped her in her earlier days. All the popular heroes and heroines have acted in the so-called "Madras" films and are familiar with the big studios. How come Jumping Jack is the only one who still keeps it up? Did anybody in his family marry down there or vice versa?

Edited by capricornrcks - 2 years ago
TotalBetty thumbnail

Originally posted by: capricornrcks

Maybe Rekha gave a couple of tips and Sri considered it as usueless advice. Who knows? I wouldn't believe either of them. Yes, Rekha is a pro at manipulating the journos and staying relevant. By the way, how come Jeetendra has so many connections in the South? Ektaa too mentioned how the connection with Rajnikanth helped her in her earlier days. All the popular heroes and heroines have acted in the so-called "Madras" films and are familiar with the big studios. How come Jumping Jack is the only one who still keeps it up? Did anybody in his family marry down there or vice versa?

This well written article explains it

http://amborish.com/white-wizard-jeetendras-south-fetish/

capricornrcks thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

That made some really interesting reading. So that explains Jeetendra's fascination.  If the success of Rohit Shetty's Singham franchise is anything to go by the fascination with masala from the South is still going strong. But Jeetendra seems to be the only one who kept in touch with the people down South and not just had it done with them once the movie is shot.

Edited by capricornrcks - 2 years ago
atominis thumbnail

Nope.

Dimple was considered the next big thing after success of Bobby in 1973. But she ruined it after getting married to much older Rajesh Khanna when she was just a 15 YO minor. 

She returned in 80s after she broke free from an abusive marriage but none of her skin show got her popularity at box office. Even her hits back then are multi starrers like Ram Lakhan, Batwara. Saagar is perhaps an exception in which she was solo heroine. 

Dimple was critically acclaimed performer though with films like Rudaali, Lekin, Krantiveer etc.

As a star she was a wasted potential. That marriage took away a lot of her peak years as Rajesh Khanna did not want her to work at all. 

Despite all her skin show and torrid affairs in 1980s, Dimple was never a top star or box office draw like Rekha, Hema or Sridevi or Madhuri. Dimple was only left to catch up in 80s and 90s but she will be remembered as a talented and critically acclaimed performer and as a hottie thanks to her films like Saagar, Bobby. 

RoNoSarKar7 thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail

Well, if top refers to no.1 position , then no she was never no. 1. SRIDEVI was The Top No.1 Actress during that period. See , after Bobby she disappeared from the scene, due to her marriage with the then reigning king of Bollywood . That was 70s. Then she came back in mid-80s. So half of the decade (80's) was already gone. But her films were not doing that well. According to Box Office Records, she entered the top 3 in 1987 with films like Insaaniyat Ke Dushman and Insaaf, but couldn't retain her position or move further to reach the top spot. And by 90s, she was not considered that big, though she did films like lekin and rudaali. So , she was a good actress specially in roles in the films I mentioned, but commercially not that big .

Edited by RoNoSarKar7 - 2 years ago
TotalBetty thumbnail

Originally posted by: atominis

Nope.

Dimple was considered the next big thing after success of Bobby in 1973. But she ruined it after getting married to much older Rajesh Khanna when she was just a 15 YO minor. 

She returned in 80s after she broke free from an abusive marriage but none of her skin show got her popularity at box office. Even her hits back then are multi starrers like Ram Lakhan, Batwara. Saagar is perhaps an exception in which she was solo heroine. 

Dimple was critically acclaimed performer though with films like Rudaali, Lekin, Krantiveer etc.

As a star she was a wasted potential. That marriage took away a lot of her peak years as Rajesh Khanna did not want her to work at all. 

Despite all her skin show and torrid affairs in 1980s, Dimple was never a top star or box office draw like Rekha, Hema or Sridevi or Madhuri. Dimple was only left to catch up in 80s and 90s but she will be remembered as a talented and critically acclaimed performer and as a hottie thanks to her films like Saagar, Bobby. 

She did it as a mother of two... Not common back then... Or maybe  even now

She did win a national award for Rudaali I think

TotalBetty thumbnail

How was she in "Tenet"?

atominis thumbnail

Yes she did it all despite being mother of 2 and whatever she did was rare and unheard of earlier.

But it did not get her lot of box office success except Saagar. It did get her work in films. And she made enough money to later start her own candle making business. 

Dimple is one talented, gutsy lady but hardly a top box office star. I just replied to the OP's question.