Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Posted: 2 years ago

Originally posted by: TheMinion

She was considered a hot actress... top ka pata nahin...

Saagar movie main to top nahi tha

capricornrcks thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: RITAYAN

capricornrcks What ??? ! R u serious ? do u even know what u r saying ? First of all Nagina got released in November 1986 and not in 1985. Secondly, where did u get dimple in early 80's. SRIDEVI became the top actress between late 1983 to early 1984 as per box office, popularity and also as per media-press reports during that time. If u don't believe then go and check urself.

😃I don't need to check press records considering that I was alive and kicking during the time period and was able to  observe on firsthand Sridevi's meteoric rise. Sri was just one of the new girls like Padmini Kohapore and Poonam Dhillon who were working hard to become No.1 after Rekha and Reena Roy lost their place. Dimple was considered to have proven her box office skills with Bobby and was considered a seasoned actress unlike the newcomers. Sri did not have a powerful mentor to be offered plum roles on her first innings herself. She worked slowly and steadily for her position as No.1.I don't see why should be so miffed about her hard work. Nobody is born a star and Queen  Except Alia perhaps. And we know how it was fastforwarded.

Edited by capricornrcks - 2 years ago
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

I think the ten+ year's gap between Bobby and her comeback negatively impacted Dimple. 

bollyqueen0 thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: RITAYAN

SRIDEVI is the Top-Most Actress of 1980's. It is said that during 80's , from 1 to 10, there was only SRIDEVI . The other actresses were nowhere near Her.

Janvhi is that you? Your #1 fan is present in this forum. Want me to introduce? 

Maroonporsche thumbnail

Originally posted by: bollyqueen0

Janvhi is that you? Your #1 fan is present in this forum. Want me to introduce? 

Janhvi Kapoor Laughing GIF - Janhvi Kapoor Laughing Cute - Discover & Share  GIFs

TotalBetty thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Her uniqueness was - retired after first movie (in which she was barely clothed) which was a blockbuster, married a superstar,  returned after 10 yrs as a divorcee (or a separatee) and mother of two and became a solid leading lady... Very unusual

She was good at some roles like Lekin but average or below average in others IMO

How would've her career panned out had she not retired after Bobby? Hard to tell...  When I watched it recently I found her over acting and her performance slightly cringey... Rishi on the other hand was a natural even then

But she was young nd it was her first movie...So...

capricornrcks thumbnail

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

I think the ten+ year's gap between Bobby and her comeback negatively impacted Dimple. 

Dimple had to make a place for herself amidst  younger fresh faced starlets like Padmini Kolhapore. But on the plus side nobody had any doubts about her talent. Bobby was still very much on everyone's mind. But yes she looked older -a woman compared to the girl she was when Bobby released. On the otherhand her mature looks helped her get cast with Amitabh Bachchan,Dharmendra and Vinod Khanna. At the same time she was considered young enough to be casted with Anil and Jackie.

TotalBetty thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: capricornrcks

😃I don't need to check press records considering that I was alive and kicking during the time period and was able to  observe on firsthand Sridevi's meteoric rise. Sri was just one of the new girls like Padmini Kohapore and Poonam Dhillon who were working hard to become No.1 after Rekha and Reena Roy lost their place. Dimple was considered to have proven her box office skills with Bobby and was considered a seasoned actress unlike the newcomers. Sri did not have a powerful mentor to be offered plum roles on her first innings herself. She worked slowly and steadily for her position as No.1.I don't see why should be so miffed about her hard work. Nobody is born a star and Queen  Except Alia perhaps. And we know how it was fastforwarded.

She had some setbacks like the flop of Sadma (though critically acclaimed)

But Sri became No 1 commercially after the hit Himmatwala... Her pairing with Jeetu was very successful and he supported her if not mentored her early in her career... 

Edited by BettyA1 - 2 years ago
nigahen thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: BettyA1

Her uniqueness was - retired after first movie (in which she was barely clothed) which was a blockbuster, married a superstar,  returned after 10 yrs as a divorcee (or a separatee) and mother of two and became a solid leading lady... Very unusual

She was good at some roles like Lekin but average or below average in others IMO

How would've her career panned out had she not retired after Bobby? Hard to tell...  When I watched it recently I found her over acting and her performance slightly cringey... Rishi on the other hand was a natural even then

But she was young nd it was her first movie...So...

Hey Bets ðŸ¤— I watched Bobby a couple of years ago....I think it was very Lolita ish vibes. I think that's main reason....and she looked pretty and fresh faced in that...My father told me there were people....I am guessing men...who watched it multiple times in the theatre...so yes I think Lolita fosho

I thought Rishi was just awful tho...she had more presence than him definitely. Boring movie overall. 

capricornrcks thumbnail

Originally posted by: BettyA1

She had some setbacks like the flop of Sadma (though critically acclaimed)

But Sri became No 1 commercially after the hit Himmatwala... Her pairing with Jeetu was very successful and he supported her if not mentored her early in her career... 

Yes Himmatwala was a gamechanger. But at that point in her career she was never considered capable of carrying a whole film on her shoulders like she did in the late 80s. She still needed a popular hero to deliver a hit. I had forgotten about Jeetendra. Yes, she benefited from his support. I think Rekha also helped, more in grooming and presenting herself in a proper format to be accepted  by the Bollywood industry.