Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

BubbleTea thumbnail
Love Couple India Season 2 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 9 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 2 years ago

Originally posted by: blue-ice.1

I wonder how many of us would hire an extra house help so that our other house help can take rest...

I am sure Zomato is governed by labor laws....if they are not then someone needs to sue their ass off....if they are hiring underage people...if they are not giving them the breaks...or not paying them overtime......but if they are following the laws then why would anyone have a problem?? Labor laws are there for a reason....if the laws are not fair then they should be changed...but why should a company be penalized if they are obeying rules... Social media per baith kar chillane se kya hua hai ab tak....

I mean even Amazon is technically following laws even if it means putting their workers following laws and forcing them to pee in a bottle . Just because something is technically legal doesn’t mean it’s right . Labor day didn’t exist till workers protested for it. Both the government that allows this  and the companies that exploit the workers like this are at fault .

Justice4Samosa thumbnail

Originally posted by: blue-ice.1

......but if they are following the laws then why would anyone have a problem?? Labor laws are there for a reason

Food delivery apps are a part of gig economy. They are not your traditional employers, they are just service providers and hence not governed by any labour laws when it comes to their delivery partners which makes them gig workers and  not considered permanent employees which is why they are also not protected under any labour laws or social security. And that's exactly the problem. Because when you're not governed by any labour laws as such, it's all the more easier to ammend rules as per the company's whims and fancies. The delivery partners can only get social security once they are considered employees by the food delivery apps which they are not as per their contracts. Same goes for cab service apps.

Social media per baith kar chillane se kya hua hai ab tak....

Social media per baith kar chillane ke kaaran hi zomato ko yeh saare ads jald se banane pade for damage control. I am not sure if you're clued in to this case but it were the delivery agents only who started raising their voice against these companies on social media, not anyone else. The twitter storm that brought media attention to their plight was started by two delivery agents themselves and not some random person. So no one is being a keyboard warrior here shouting for no reason. People are supporting them since we are hearing it from the horse's mouth and not from some third party.

Edited by MommaDarling - 2 years ago
Justice4Samosa thumbnail

Also not to forget, it hasn't even been a year since Zomato, Swiggy and Uber were ranked the worst in working conditions as per Fairworks India rating and they were scored an abysmal 1/10 in the ratings- the lowest. There's a reason why people have been angry with these startups for sometime now and are trying to support the delivery partners in voicing their concerns. 

Zomato ranked worst on ‘Fairwork’ ratings, co-founder pledges to improve work conditions | RankingThe study focussed on fair pay, fair conditions, fair contracts, fair management, and fair representation, awarding one point for meeting the basic standard and an additional point for achieving a higher standard.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hindustantimes.com/business-news/zomato-ranked-worst-on-fairwork-ratings-co-founder-pledges-to-improve-work-conditions/story-yo55WYuZ7ZjI2KLFDUK52L_amp.html

Edited by MommaDarling - 2 years ago
Justice4Samosa thumbnail

Originally posted by: cutejodikangal

I did a little research into the kind of people who take up these jobs. These are the people with basic education- students etc and are willing to stretch themselves to make a quick buck without putting in a lot of mental energies. 

Not completely true though, students taking up delivery jobs for extra bucks was there in the past when these startups just started building their network in the country. But right now a lot of things have changed. When you order from Zomato, they send you details of the delivery guy including their educational qualification and personal details. I live in a metropolitan city and in the last two years, I don't think I've seen a single student in the delivery information. Almost everyone is atleast a graduate, married with kids and well past the age of a student. So what was once a means of earning some quick cash has now changed into a form of employment for many people beyond students and when things started going wrong, like you said, they took it up through protests and on social media and people are just amplifying their voice.

So you guys are telling me that a company big enough to hire HR and Kat for their ads is not governed by any laws.....nothing at all?? No one can do anything except cry themselves hoarse?? How is that even possible??😕 I can agree that they can be bad employers like Walmart and Amazon are....but are you telling me that they are free to do whatever they want??

TheRowdiest thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

How about boycott government who is selling india and using the money they are getting after selling india to make their Alishan Mahals, New parliaments and destroying Indian history . 

jo actual mein bura kar rahe hain woh nahin dikhta . Keep wasting energy on useless things . 

PardesiBabu thumbnail
Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Anniversary 2 Thumbnail

Karl Marx wannabes shud first stop crying when their maid goes on leave for a day. 

This ad showed customer was king. If employees have a problem with Zomato, they are free to leave the company. Nobody is forcing them to work there at gunpoint 

Ptooey thumbnail

Originally posted by: PardesiBabu

Karl Marx wannabes shud first stop crying when their maid goes on leave for a day. 

This ad showed customer was king. If employees have a problem with Zomato, they are free to leave the company. Nobody is forcing them to work there at gunpoint 

Ironically, in the Karl Marx Wannabe World, charity begins at other people's home.

Mahisa_22 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: PardesiBabu

Not so easy when you have mouths to feed and stomachs to fill at home. 

Autumn_Rose thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: Mahisa_22

It's not like people give gaalis to anyone, but its true that people tend to become impatient when they are kept waiting for food. As for the rest, about lack of payment etc. that's a valid issue, I'm not denying that. But these ads didn't feel like exploitation is being glorified. It's more about making the customer feel good. 

I was working till late one night and ordered food from food panda;it was prepaid and the food never came 😭

In Zomato timings are there and sometimes the restaurant itself takes time to pack food.. you can connect with the delivery boy or the restaurant and updates are available.. not sure what the issue is with people.. what’s the point in getting angry..