Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

bollyqueen0 thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 2 years ago

Haven't seen the movie - but your post and the discussion in this thread is very interesting. I'll add it to my watch list and let you know if I like Rani with the ghost hunk ❤️ 

JayaBachan thumbnail

Originally posted by: bollyqueen0

Haven't seen the movie - but your post and the discussion in this thread is very interesting. I'll add it to my watch list and let you know if I like Rani with the ghost hunk ❤️ 

Alakh, don’t listen to BQ. She has such a long list of movies on her watch list, which she keeps adding onto, with no intention to watch it ever. 😂 84 years ago I recommended her to watch Rules - Pyar Ka Superhit formula. She said that she’ll add it to her watch list 🙂

Not a single movie was watched. 

❤️

TrollikaDevi thumbnail
Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

I was too young to appreciate it when I first watched it at the theatre.  The second time it was pretty interesting. Didn't make me uncomfortable except for the part where he lets her sob and makes a decision for both of them to keep the shareer ki jaan asleep.  I know a lady who went through this.  Her husband kept refusing to touch her because of some 'vrat'.  She was a bit on the.. ermmm.. horny side. So it got ugly. She picked fights with everyone. Ended up divorcing him.  Now she's obsessed with an 'evil spirit ' that keeps her from the ...you know.  A very unpleasant woman at the moment but I feel bad for her because it's actually pretty easy to solve her problem but then not that easy for somebody from her generation. 

I think the film dealt with the concept of Gandharvas.  Demigods who are after lonely women.  Interesting topic in terms of parapsych.  Paheli had great photography. 

TrollikaDevi thumbnail
Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Ajeeb-ladki

Read wiki just now...So, she is pregnant too by a ghost? What type of ghost is that..He lived whole 4 years as Kishan with family? 

This movie must have deeper meaning but reading wiki...I am just like...ghost? From a bottle, like genie..but a genie who acts on his own.. So, she knew he was a ghost? 

And what type of accounts work is that? He has to go for a whole 5 years, couldn't even come home for some days in between..But, why did the father get her married to his son if he wanted to send him for that long, on second day itself? Was her family important for them or something?

The Holy Ghost. "Blessed is she amongst women and blessed is the fruit of her womb .......😁

bollyqueen0 thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: FingerFetish

Alakh, don’t listen to BQ. She has such a long list of movies on her watch list, which she keeps adding onto, with no intention to watch it ever. 😂 84 years ago I recommended her to watch Rules - Pyar Ka Superhit formula. She said that she’ll add it to her watch list 🙂

Not a single movie was watched. 

❤️

Huh? What does this post say? I will contact Vijay ASAP in the next few years to fix this error. 

Top 30 Walking Away GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

JayaBachan thumbnail

Originally posted by: bollyqueen0

Huh? What does this post say? I will contact Vijay ASAP in the next few years to fix this error. 

Top 30 Walking Away GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

Nice try fleeing. 10/10 for effort. 

DobbyDeol thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7

It was a boring and confusing movie. Could be used to to treat insomnia.

Silpa20 thumbnail
IPL 2023 Match Winner Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 9

I didn't watch but read the plot

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

There are myths and folk tales about ghosts and Gods having relationships with women whose husbands are away. In Greek myth, Ares would promise heirs to men at war visiting their wives in their form. Loki tricked many women by pretending to be their husbands. There are even African folk tales similar to the narrative of Paheli. 

In reality, the women were lonely and either had relationships with other men or were violated by other men. The fantastic tales and myths were woven to soften the situation and preserve a woman's honor. They're also meant to serve as a cautionary tale to men that they need to appreciate their wives or end up losing them to Gods and ghosts. 

It's been ages since I saw Paheli. I don't remember being uncomfortable at all. I remember thinking the narrative was languid, but it was a nice movie overall. It wasn't blockbuster material, but it didn't deserve to flop. I don't think everyone understands the metaphors and symbolism in the movie. And I think Indian audiences do have a hard time digesting narratives where a woman would wilfully choose infidelity for her own happiness. The hardest thing people have wrapping their heads around is that an unfaithful wife can be given a happy ending. That's an unforgivable crime to most. 

Bana thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2

The ghost in Paheli is metaphorical. It is the embodiment & personification of all her dreams, expectations & fantasies regarding how her husband would be. Usually when we fantasise we give it a familiar face that we find attractive, and in her restricted life she would have seen only one man, her hubby, in a romantic light so she gives it his face.

In fact the ghost even takes on qualities & duties that she would like to see in her dream man towards others in the family, that is why u see the ghost not only making her happy but also solving household problems. The sexual aspect is also part of the metaphor and could stand for any way in which she could realise her desires - fantasising, another man or even self-gratification.

It is really a movie that was ahead of its time & audience.