Paheli - did the movie make people uncomfortable?

Posted: 2 years ago

Ae Bodam, Dhan insaan ke liye hai ya insaan dhan ke liye?

A young, beautiful bride dreams of conjugal bliss as she is being married in a far away village - possibly to a man she has never met or barely knows. She is looking for love. 

While on her way, reality starts to hit her even before she even reaches her sasural. Her husband more interested in accounts shows disregard for her. She lets go of the ber from the palms of her hand as if she is letting her dreams slip away.. 

The man she married is going away for 5 years, leaving her all by herself.  Possibly for the family, and of course.. being cheated into the marriage - she has no option but to wait for him. As women always wait traditionally, they cannot move on. 

She spends her first night crying on the bed - while her husband unsuccessfully pacifies her. "ek raat ke liye shareer ki jaan kyun jagai jaye?"  He settles his accounts from afar while trying to cover his face to avoid her, as her sobs fill the bedroom.🥺

Jaane waale ko rok na saki, aane waale ko kaise rokun?

Here is a complete stranger, who declares her love for her. Tells her the truth. For the first time, puts her wishes above himself. Though he knows, he could loose her forever. He could have easily lied, she would have never known. But here's a relationship that is forged on trust; unlike her marriage. 

Aaj tak maahri marzi kisi se na poochi, apni iccha se tanki hone ko pooch rahe ho?

She never did have free will - all her life she was living for her dream - based on what has given to her. 

Kishan's father too - only cares for money - we also see, how greed only ultimately leads to Kishan's unhappiness and loneliness - he ultimately looses what was truly valuable. Though I really feel bad for him towards the end as he even looses himself.

Aurat ke dil main jo preet hove hai, woh hoon main.

He is Maayavi, maybe the ideal man doesn't exist after all - he is just an illusion.

Edited by Autumn_Rose - 2 years ago

DO NOT COPY THIS POST AS THIS IS EXCLUSIVE TO INDIA FORUMS

I love films based on folklore and this was no exception. I really enjoyed it although, yes, it does make you uncomfortable at times.

Originally posted by Floofy_Wolf

I love films based on folklore and this was no exception. I really enjoyed it although, yes, it does make you uncomfortable at times.

It didn't make me uncomfortable - I watched it as a kid  first, though I didn't grasp the meaning fully - I enjoyed the music and cinematography.. 

I think the movie was bit ahead of its times - a married woman who chooses a ghost over her husband ðŸ˜†

I will be honest, the movie went right above my head. And by the time I could try to understand, I was woken up from my nap because the movie ended.😳 ðŸ˜†

Originally posted by cutejodikangal

I will be honest, the movie went right above my head. And by the time I could try to understand, I was woken up from my nap because the movie ended.😳 ðŸ˜†

I cried watching the movie, like I do in most BW movies. ðŸ˜†

Read wiki just now...So, she is pregnant too by a ghost? What type of ghost is that..He lived whole 4 years as Kishan with family? 

This movie must have deeper meaning but reading wiki...I am just like...ghost? From a bottle, like genie..but a genie who acts on his own.. So, she knew he was a ghost? 

And what type of accounts work is that? He has to go for a whole 5 years, couldn't even come home for some days in between..But, why did the father get her married to his son if he wanted to send him for that long, on second day itself? Was her family important for them or something?

Originally posted by Autumn_Rose

It didn't make me uncomfortable - I watched it as a kid  first, though I didn't grasp the meaning fully - I enjoyed the music and cinematography.. 

I think the movie was bit ahead of its times - a married woman who chooses a ghost over her husband ðŸ˜†

I think the fact that she got pregnant by a ghost was really weird to me. :/

Originally posted by Ajeeb-ladki

Read wiki just now...So, she is pregnant too by a ghost? What type of ghost is that..He lived whole 4 years as Kishan with family? 

This movie must have deeper meaning but reading wiki...I am just like...ghost? From a bottle, like genie..but a genie who acts on his own.. So, she knew he was a ghost? 

And what type of accounts work is that? He has to go for a whole 5 years, couldn't even come home for some days in between..But, why did the father get her married to his son if he wanted to send him for that long, on second day itself? Was her family important for them or something?

The movie was also India’s official entry to the oscars.

You will have to watch it to understand ðŸ˜†

The movie is based on magical realism and folklore.

It’s set in rural area, and in somewhat medieval India. He’s a merchant whose father sends him to another city to prosper his business; they are shown as rich by the way (greed is another theme here)..

In olden days, men would go away to earn.

You may ask why he got married if he had to leave for 5 years. That’s the catch.  It was something that was common back then. He married her, so that he got married at proper age and in eyes of the society he’s married. Also because the daughter in law will look after the family and fulfil her duties. That’s the expectation. The bride is cheated as she or her family is not aware of the arrangement. 

Originally posted by Floofy_Wolf

I think the fact that she got pregnant by a ghost was really weird to me. :/

To me, it was like- love has borne fruit and given life. 

Laaga re phal laaga…