Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

hotchoco thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 2 years ago

Originally posted by: Ajeeb-ladki

Read wiki just now...So, she is pregnant too by a ghost? What type of ghost is that..He lived whole 4 years as Kishan with family? 

This movie must have deeper meaning but reading wiki...I am just like...ghost? From a bottle, like genie..but a genie who acts on his own.. So, she knew he was a ghost? 

And what type of accounts work is that? He has to go for a whole 5 years, couldn't even come home for some days in between..But, why did the father get her married to his son if he wanted to send him for that long, on second day itself? Was her family important for them or something?

It's a fairytale. It doesn't have to make sense in a realistic way. A fable like this is painted in broad strokes in purpose of a theme. Paheli is about how marriage (especially in olden times) was forced upon women even though they got very little in return out of it. These arrangements existed so that a woman is brought into the family to care for the older parents, cook, clean and bear children. They are barely treated as people with their own wants and wishes. 

When there's a chance of love, even if it's with a ghost, she chooses her own happiness. It is not about a women always having sacrifice and doing what's right for others. 

Autumn_Rose thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Originally posted by: hotchoco

It's a fairytale. It doesn't have to make sense in a realistic way. A fable like this is painted in broad strokes in purpose of a theme. Paheli is about how marriage (especially in olden times) was forced upon women even though they got very little in return out of it. These arrangements existed so that a woman is brought into the family to care for the older parents, cook, clean and bear children. They are barely treated as people with their own wants and wishes. 

When there's a chance of love, even if it's with a ghost, she chooses her own happiness. It is not about a women always having sacrifice and doing what's right for others. 

@bold

Which is why the movie flopped. People only accept stories where women are paragon of virtues and choose to sacrifice their lives for the happiness of others..  

Edited by Autumn_Rose - 2 years ago
Just_Say_Cheese thumbnail
Love Couple India Season 2 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 6 Thumbnail + 5
Originally posted by: Autumn_Rose

The movie was also India’s official entry to the oscars.

You will have to watch it to understand 😆

The movie is based on magical realism and folklore.

It’s set in rural area, and in somewhat medieval India. He’s a merchant whose father sends him to another city to prosper his business; they are shown as rich by the way (greed is another theme here)..

In olden days, men would go away to earn.

You may ask why he got married if he had to leave for 5 years. That’s the catch.  It was something that was common back then. He married her, so that he got married at proper age and in eyes of the society he’s married. Also because the daughter in law will look after the family and fulfil her duties. That’s the expectation. The bride is cheated as she or her family is not aware of the arrangement. 

Thanks🤗

Maybe should have watched it before reading story 😆 Now, there would be no suspense...but maybe I would watch it someday..

Life_Is_Dutiful thumbnail

This movie was definitely way ahead of its time and was very hard to understand then. A woman chooses a ghost who loves her over an alive man who doesn't love her. 

But I didn't understand the climax. So if the ghost entered the husband's body then what happened to the husband's soul? When I watched the movie I felt like Amitabh Bachchan's character trapped the husband's soul in the bottle so that the ghost can enter his body. 

loginidran thumbnail
Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 3 Thumbnail

@bold

Which is why the movie flopped. People only accept stories where women are pinnacle of virtues and choose to sacrifice their lives for the happiness of others..  

The movie flopped mainly because it was boring as hell. :(

The soundtrack is exceptionally good though. I especially remember obsessing over the popular’dheere jalna dheere jalna’ but also ‘Minnat kare’ and ‘Kangna re’. ⭐️

Never revisited the movie but now that I read about the concept, thanks to you’ll, I may just go try to watch it once again. 

Autumn_Rose thumbnail
Originally posted by: Life_Is_Dutiful

This movie was definitely way ahead of its time and was very hard to understand then. A woman chooses a ghost who loves her over an alive man who doesn't love her. 

But I didn't understand the climax. So if the ghost entered the husband's body then what happened to the husband's soul? When I watched the movie I felt like Amitabh Bachchan's character trapped the husband's soul in the bottle so that the ghost can enter his body. 

I felt the same when I watched it first.

I think he entered the bottle of his own free will so people think they have gotten rid of the ghost.

As for the the husband’s soul.. I think it’s like how people are possessed by ghosts….  😆

hotchoco thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 4

@bold

Which is why the movie flopped. People only accept stories where women are pinnacle of virtues and choose to sacrifice their lives for the happiness of others..  

It's the same thing that happens in movies that portray affairs. Most of them work as long as it's the married guy cheating with a hoe and the wife fights for him and accepts him back. People laugh and think it's funny when movies like Biwi No.1 are made. But KANK infuriated people because a married woman is shown to cheat and prefers that partner over her husband. Women always have to be the suffering and sacrificing ones. 

Autumn_Rose thumbnail
Originally posted by: cutejodikangal

The movie flopped mainly because it was boring as hell. :(

The soundtrack is exceptionally good though. I especially remember obsessing over the popular’dheere jalna dheere jalna’ but also ‘Minnat kare’ and ‘Kangna re’. ⭐️

Never revisited the movie but now that I read about the concept, thanks to you’ll, I may just go try to watch it once again. 

I didn’t find it boring at all.. infact I have watched it many times. 

Both SRK and Rani have done fab job.. my fav scene in the movie is when the ghost sees lacchi for the first time.. and the second scene where he confesses that he’s an imposter and she stops him. 

The cinematography and the detailing in the movie is amazing.. there is a lot of symbolism which I like.

Just_Say_Cheese thumbnail
Love Couple India Season 2 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 6 Thumbnail + 5

If ghosts are like perfect person, can eat, sleep, work, even get someone pregnant...Literally everything that a real person can do and even better, then, it's obvious why she chose a ghost..!😆

Autumn_Rose thumbnail
Originally posted by: hotchoco

It's the same thing that happens in movies that portray affairs. Most of them work as long as it's the married guy cheating with a hoe and the wife fights for him and accepts him back. People laugh and think it's funny when movies like Biwi No.1 are made. But KANK infuriated people because a married woman is shown to cheat and prefers that partner over her husband. Women always have to be the suffering and sacrificing ones. 

Movies like Masti, Biwi no1, sandwich, ghar waali bahar wali are so horrible. They have aged really badly.

Looking back, there are many flops that are hidden gems..