Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

Urmila Matondkar or Manisha Koirala or Juhi Chawla: The best actress?

Poll

Who is the best actress out of these 90's heroines?

Poll Choice
Login To Vote
mintyblue thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 2 years ago

Vote and comment.

I think it's Urmila.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

loginidran thumbnail
Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 3 Thumbnail

Manisha Koirala - she belongs to a different league. 

mintyblue thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4
This content was originally posted by-cutejodikangal

Manisha Koirala - she belongs to a different league. 

I loved her in Khamoshi, Bombay and 1942: A Love Story. She was amazing in Khamoshi, she took the character to a different level. Salman was also tolerable in that one.

loginidran thumbnail
Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 3 Thumbnail
This content was originally posted by-mintyblue

I loved her in Khamoshi, Bombay and 1942: A Love Story. She was amazing in Khamoshi, she took the character to a different level. Salman was also tolerable in that one.

True that. Salman used to be very tolerable before 2000. Don’t know what happened to him after that.😆

capricornrcks thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

This content was originally posted by-mintyblue

Not to forget Bhansali. It was arguably his best. He was fresh out of Vidhu Vinod Chopra school and you could see the influences of Parinda and 1942 A Love Story. As per VVD movie heroine guidelines, Manisha had a fresh simplistic natural look with the hair dressed simply usually scraped back or hanging loose. She  was dressed in white,black or pastels without any extra jewellery or accessories. The characters and story was given importance without any elaborate sets. And there was the right amount of dramatic moments without veering into the melodrama territory.

Coming back to the poll, Juhi gets my vote simply for her comic timing. Whether the movie was good or terrible she always gave the impression that she gave her best. Manisha has a fresh,natural beauty and could pull off a sophisticated town belle easily. But she needed good directors to give her best performances. Urmila is a fine actress. But other than Pinjar and Rangeela she didn't have any memorable roles. In fact of all the three, Manisha probably got the best roles.

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

In terms of acting Manisha > Urmila > Juhi

Manisha was an amazing actress. Dil Se, Bombay, Khamoshi, were all a class apart. She added a lot of soul to her performances. But she also did a whole slew of mediocre and forgettable films. I feel she never reached her full potential. 

Urmila too suffered a similar fate to Manisha. From Rangeela to Kaun to Ek Haseena Thi, her roles had range.  But she too had too many forgettable films. Like Manisha, she's getting a lot of her accolades post fading away. 

Juhi on the other hand has a much more consistent filmography. Despite many duds she consistently did memorable roles. She also had impeccable comic timing. I do feel her range is limited and her drama is not as convincing as her bubbly girl or comedy. 

Rekha_ji thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

This is tough. If you asked me in the 90s I think I would've gone with Manisha Koirala. She was wonderful in 1942: A Love Story, Bombay, Khamoshia, Dil Se, Mann.

In the 2000's Urmila came into her own. Yes she had Rangeela and Judaai in the 90s, but it was Tehzeeb (2003), Bhoot (2003), Ek Hasina Thi (2004), Banaras (2006) where she was doing her best work.

Juhi Chawla was lucky to be doing the rejects of Sridevi and Madhuri in the 90s. It was only after she got married and had a baby and was no longer feeling the pressure to be #1 that she started taking her craft seriously. My Brother Nikhil (2005), I Am (2011), Gulaab Gang (2014) is where we see her shine.

They are all on a pretty much similar level in my personal opinion. If I had to pick 1, I'd go with Manisha because Dear Maya was my favourite performance of 2017, and it gives her more longevity, as having had career-defining performances from the 90s, 2000s, and 2010s.

moonv thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Urmila has shown more range than the other actresses.

However all were good. Manisha was sometimes OTT in movies like Jaani Dushman.

infinity101 thumbnail
Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Anniversary 7 Thumbnail + 2

Difficult to choose, all were good ❤️

JPeppers thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

All 3 are great actresses. They have done versatile roles. But only Juhi has the best comic timing.