Reema Kagti as director: How do you rate her?

Posted: 3 years ago

I find her quirky, irascible, and completely unpredictable. She definitely has a very unique vision and has a voice which is not formulaic or staid, but pretty innovative. I watched Honeymoon Travels today and loved the movie, because it was all sorts of eccentric and yet beautiful.

Honeymoon Travels is an off-beat drama weaving together the stories of 6 couples on their honeymoons on the same tourist bus. Celebrating love in all its forms - from the mundane and the familiar to the exotic and the sublime, the movie's tone is in one word, quirky. The montage shot of Raima Sen walking into the sea is symbolic at so many levels, breaking the shackles of patriarchy is one of the themes which is overriding. Also it's tone is not just lovey-dovey, but also about navigating the world of red herrings and is quite gripping.

Coming to her other movie Talaash which I have seen, it's also different at so many levels. I don't know whether calling it a thriller will do justice to its many layers and the poignancy of grief which is a predominant theme there. The supernatural is also an overarching presence in the movie, though I find the twist at the end quite fascinating.

I don't know whether she will find the right cinematic language to express herself, but I do wish that she attains success because she is starkly original and irresistibly enchanting.

I love Talaash but I don't know how I rate her. I barely remember honeymoon travels and I didn't watch Gold. I do think she needs to break away from Zoya more often and make her own movies. We need more female movie makers

Originally posted by Rhimjhimsawan

I love Talaash but I don't know how I rate her. I barely remember honeymoon travels and I didn't watch Gold. I do think she needs to break away from Zoya more often and make her own movies. We need more female movie makers

Zoya and Reema's collaborative effort is Luck By chance, right? I love that movie too. I think Zoya is the more commercial and mainstream one, whereas Reema is the quirky and offbeat one. Maybe they balance each other out, so I would like to see them together as well as independently, to savour different stories and different tonalities.

Do watch this scene I love it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KANMizYjfAo

Originally posted by mintyblue

Zoya and Reema's collaborative effort is Luck By chance, right? I love that movie too. 

No all Zoya movies are written by Zoya and Reema except for Luck by chance. I like that movie a lot too. 

I’ve watched interviews of her. She looks ill to be honest 

Originally posted by Maroonporsche

I’ve watched interviews of her. She looks ill to be honest 

without makeup sabhi ladkiyaan ill hi lagti hai 

Originally posted by teri_Sanem

without makeup sabhi ladkiyaan ill hi lagti hai 

I mean but she looks mal nourished

OK shes so unappealing in looks that I dont care about her as a director ðŸ˜†

You got the truth from me 

I always rated her highly until she decided to make Gold.. to be fair though I haven’t seen the movie.. but it just looks so uninteresting and banal smh 

Originally posted by mintyblue

I find her quirky, irascible, and completely unpredictable. She definitely has a very unique vision and has a voice which is not formulaic or staid, but pretty innovative.

@ bold - how do you know she is irascible? Have there been any reports or stories around it?