Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

mintyblue thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 3 years ago

Originally posted by: TheMinion

Happens all the time in my project. I would suggest having a discussion with your team before getting into the call with your boss. Boost up their morale by telling them that mistakes do happen and it's not the end of the world, team really gets demoralized with such negative emails.

And like the others have said, accept the mistake, see what can be done better, improvements needed... life goes on!

All the best...

Sure...I'll do that👍🏼

mintyblue thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: Jaitreya23

Firstly since you messed up, own it and apologise.

Next don't let the dirty politics of boss affect you as a person, what she is doing is unethical. And hopefully other team members can see that.

Take all the criticism from client and team as feedback for the project and not you. The editing is messed up and needs to be fixed and it's not about you. 

Take all opinions/ views into account, don't critique them right there. Remember they are directed towards editing and not you. Paraphrase them into positive statement and put forth. Keep calm and don't get emotional. If you start to feel emotional either think of something funny or tell them politely not to get personal so that energy can be directed in completing the project.

Remember this is going to make you stronger.

Yes do look for better opportunity, all the best for your job search👍🏼

Excellent advice dear...each and every word is true. I'll definitely keep a calm front, apologize, and make sure that I direct the conversation into a more positive direction. Thanks so much❤️

Autumn_Rose thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4

My suggestion would be calm & think rationally before doing/saying anything. Don't be emotional about it.. (I know that happens in situations).

I don't know how it works - forwarding a client mail to all team members is very unprofessional. Not sure what your boss is trying to achieve here - put you down in front of others or trying to warn everyone else.  Does she generally do a lot of nitpicking / degrades people infront of others? Or is it specifically you?

Idk the background of your relationship with your boss or her nature and how she manages your team. But, I think you should try to pacify your boss, whenever you get the chance - apologise for your mistake and thank him/her for support etc. Tell your boss about your problems.. in my case I'd always exaggerate the issues 😆 (but that again depends on how much your boss knows about your work).

YourCat thumbnail

Difficult to give advice not knowing lots of details, I would probably defend myself if I could, otherwise learn from my mistake and hear from one ear and take out from the other whatever else being said. I wouldnt care much maybe because I dont care for people's praise or criticism. I know myself better. 

And if you do something right, the only 2 word you would listen is " good job ", that's it. 

Have a drink, chill and watch Govinda's movie. 

Edited by Lalakhun1 - 3 years ago
bips thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 8

The job market sucks. I'm working from home putting in 15 hrs a day but still hearing stuff like ghar pe kuch kaam nahin karte. 

Apologise and grin and bear it. There is no other option. Till you get a better offer don't rock your boat 

Originally posted by: Lalakhun1

Difficult to give advice not knowing lots of details, I would probably defend myself if I could, otherwise learn from my mistake and hear from one ear and take out from the other whatever else being said. I wouldnt care much maybe because I dont care for people's praise or criticism. I know myself better. 

And if you do something right, the only 2 word you would listen is " good job ", that's it. 

Have a drink, chill and watch Govinda's movie. 

😆 😆 😆 

sidnilove thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

Moving out is a good decision.

Forwarding the email to the whole team is a **** move. Mistakes happen but the way your boss dealt with the situation shows what a horrible person he is.

I actually know how you feel. I messed up big time some time back and felt so guilty and miserable. Thankfully my boss didn't disclose my name but did set up a meeting discussing the mistake as a hypothetical scenario (I was so grateful and I learned a big lesson)

Don't beat yourself up. You can be super careful and still mess up so there's no point in stressing over it. Just accept your mistake and apologize about it. That's the best way to go about it.

Bad way to deal with it would be : Antagonizing the boss further by justifying your work and trying to deflect or not accept your mistake. That will escalate things very quickly.

Hope you feel better soon 😊

Maroonporsche thumbnail

That’s unfortunate. Working for my daddy where I can’t ever get fired I really can’t give the best advice 😆

But someone suggested keep your head down, stay quiet and listen to whatever scolding, and secretly look for other jobs. It’s probably all you can do at this point. 

Also the first set of free time you have is use it to decompress. Eat or drink something. Maybe smoke a cigarette lol. Watch a cartoon or listen to song 😆👍🏼

Originally posted by: mintyblue

So, guys, I'm in a bit of a fix. I messed up this editing project which was rather complex, and the feedback from the client hasn't been pretty. Now what my boss has done is forwarded that entire feedback email to all members of the team, and saying this is an example of what happens when the team's credibility goes for a toss. She's even kept a call to discuss this issue for all team members (not just me). I'm not sure how I should handle this? Can any of you come up with some good ideas as to how I can save face and what I can say to dilute the situation?

Also, let me mention here that this work is boring and tedious af and I'm trying to find a new job. 

Please do advise/come up with suggestions.

I think your boss think you are not solely responsible for this, therefore, he shared the feedback with the team. Support each other in meeting and before going to meeting please consult with the team. If you all are on same page then your boss will be on backfoot. 

Best of Luck 👍🏼

sev.puri thumbnail
Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Anniversary 3 Thumbnail

Oh man, what an ass of a manager. Never ever should be calling you out like that in a group setting. See how the one to one meeting goes first. Like people have said, do apologise. But be careful not to over apologise. It is what it is at the end of the day. So hold your ground after apologising, let them know you’ll learn from it but no grovelling.

Looking for a new job is all fine but don’t let that be your first port of call without having that discussion first. It feels sucky right now, but you really do learn a lot from these situations. Most of all, my advice to you is, don’t take this to heart. Even if people try and get personal, always hold yourself in a high enough regard to get past this, get through it and be a better person for it. If I had taken all the criticisms in my career to heart (worthy and unworthy), I probably wouldn’t have progressed in my career.