Posted: 3 years ago

So, guys, I'm in a bit of a fix. I messed up this editing project which was rather complex, and the feedback from the client hasn't been pretty. Now what my boss has done is forwarded that entire feedback email to all members of the team, and saying this is an example of what happens when the team's credibility goes for a toss. She's even kept a call to discuss this issue for all team members (not just me). I'm not sure how I should handle this? Can any of you come up with some good ideas as to how I can save face and what I can say to dilute the situation?

Also, let me mention here that this work is boring and tedious af and I'm trying to find a new job. 

Please do advise/come up with suggestions.

Edited by mintyblue - 3 years ago

Your boss sounds like a very miserable person who hates themselves snd their life.

Originally posted by Sharpener

Your boss sounds like a very miserable person who hates themselves snd their life.

IKR?💔

This hasn't happened with me before, I just feel at a loss completely.

Apologize for the mistake, try to suck it up and do not do anything to antagonize anyone ... just keep your head down and do your best for as long as you're there. You haven't lost your face even though your boss seems to be hell bent on it. I'm sure some of your coworkers sympathize with you!

Most importantly, apply for other jobs and get out as soon as you can.... firstly, because you already are looking for a way out and secondly, because your boss doesn't seem to respect his employees if he decided that passing around your work to humiliate you in front of the team was even remotely productive. 

It's always better to look for a way out if the boss dislikes you to that extent. Once you form a certain impression on your manager, it's extremely difficult to change that no matter how hard you work and no one deserves that.

Edited by Mo0nLighting - 3 years ago

Originally posted by Mo0nLighting

Apologize for the mistake, try to suck it up and do not do anything to antagonize anyone ... just keep your head down and do your best for as long as you're there. You haven't lost your face even though your boss seems to be hell bent on it. I'm sure some of your coworkers sympathize with you!

Most importantly, apply for other jobs and get out as soon as you can.... firstly, because you already are looking for a way out and secondly, because your boss doesn't seem to respect his employees if he decided that passing around your work to humiliate you in front of the team was even remotely productive. 

It's always better to look for a way out if the boss dislikes you to that extent. Once you form a certain impression on your manager, it's extremely difficult to change that no matter how hard you work and no one deserves that.

Yeah I'm proactively trying to find a new job asap...it's not easy as the publishing market has been affected due to the pandemic. Last week I was close to putting down my resignation, but deciding against it till I have a job in hand.

Thanks for your advice....yes, I will definitely try to apologize and be as civil as possible❤️

That sounds completely unprofessional, and I can totally understand how you feel.

My suggestion would be to just apologize for your mistake at the very start of the meet, and assure your boss and the team that you will make sure that it never happens again. That way, the boss might be at a loss, and if the boss keeps harping on about it, they'll come across as unprofessional.

Good luck 😃

Originally posted by Fallen-Embers

That sounds completely unprofessional, and I can totally understand how you feel.

My suggestion would be to just apologize for your mistake at the very start of the meet, and assure your boss and the team that you will make sure that it never happens again. That way, the boss might be at a loss, and if the boss keeps harping on about it, they'll come across as unprofessional.

Good luck 😃

Thanks so much...I will definitely follow your suggestion👍🏼

Originally posted by mintyblue

Thanks so much...I will definitely follow your suggestion👍🏼

Hope it works out. 🤗

Happens all the time in my project. I would suggest having a discussion with your team before getting into the call with your boss. Boost up their morale by telling them that mistakes do happen and it's not the end of the world, team really gets demoralized with such negative emails.

And like the others have said, accept the mistake, see what can be done better, improvements needed... life goes on!

All the best...

Firstly since you messed up, own it and apologise.

Next don't let the dirty politics of boss affect you as a person, what she is doing is unethical. And hopefully other team members can see that.

Take all the criticism from client and team as feedback for the project and not you. The editing is messed up and needs to be fixed and it's not about you. 

Take all opinions/ views into account, don't critique them right there. Remember they are directed towards editing and not you. Paraphrase them into positive statement and put forth. Keep calm and don't get emotional. If you start to feel emotional either think of something funny or tell them politely not to get personal so that energy can be directed in completing the project.

Remember this is going to make you stronger.

Yes do look for better opportunity, all the best for your job search👍🏼