sukri thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Posted: 3 years ago

Why can't ITV writes come up with a decent strong female lead character? 

Do they not understand female perspective at all? Per them there are only 4 types of females - doormat who always cries and takes shit from people , vamp who is always scheming and engaging in kitchen politics or rude who is always shouting at drop of a hat and a supporting character whose only job is to facilitate thr above 3 types.

I thought Sai might be a realistic portrayal and probably match what we girls are in real life. I read some of the nice OS stories you all write and expect the same from the show as well. 

Its one thing not to be a doormat vs fighting all the time.

Not everyone is going to dance to our tunes and shouting at people will not make them understand our point of view, esp outside our house, in college or even at work place. We always have to ask, understand and explain our perspective in a logical way. If we start shouting at our boss or colleague or friends just coz they are saying something we dont like, we will be never be respected and probably even fired from job. 

Will we ever get to a place where female lead can put across her thoughts logically without crying or being rude or shouting? 

Are they showing Sai like this in the initial episodes  just so that they can show a character growth in future?

I havent seen Bengali or tamil version of this show, but does Sai change at all or do she remain the same till end of the show? 

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

by_stander thumbnail
Anniversary 3 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: sukri

Why can't ITV writes come up with a decent strong female lead character? 

Do they not understand female perspective at all? Per them there are only 4 types of females - doormat who always cries and takes shit from people , vamp who is always scheming and engaging in kitchen politics or rude who is always shouting at drop of a hat and a supporting character whose only job is to facilitate thr above 3 types.

I thought Sai might be a realistic portrayal and probably match what we girls are in real life. I read some of the nice OS stories you all write and expect the same from the show as well. 

Its one thing not to be a doormat vs fighting all the time.

Not everyone is going to dance to our tunes and shouting at people will not make them understand our point of view, esp outside our house, in college or even at work place. We always have to ask, understand and explain our perspective in a logical way. If we start shouting at our boss or colleague or friends just coz they are saying something we dont like, we will be never be respected and probably even fired from job. 

Will we ever get to a place where female lead can put across her thoughts logically without crying or being rude or shouting? 

Are they showing Sai like this in the initial episodes  just so that they can show a character growth in future?

I havent seen Bengali or tamil version of this show, but does Sai change at all or do she remain the same till end of the show? 

I was just watching clips of the Bengali version on youtube. Even if the plot is the same, the characters are completely different. I just realized that how toned down Sai is in this version. On the Bengali one, she is louder and more dominating, which most of us would find irritating. In the Hindi one, she is sassy with Bhavani and others which makes it funny, but in the Bengali one, she was kind of disrespectful. 

@bold I believe so, I am sure they won't show her acting up like this all the time. Also, are you just referring to her actions from what we saw in the last episode or in general? Initially, she was a bit annoying as writers wanted to put a stark contrast between her and Virat's personality, but after her father's death, I feel like she has toned down a lot. And we have seen instances where she is trying to stay "shaant." I think we are slowly seeing her take control of her anger issues. However, it won't happen in just two days. It will take some time. 

Edited by by_stander - 3 years ago
happy007 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

lol what I want to know is that - does the Sai character ever apologize for her behaviour in other versions? after treating Virat character as her emotional punching bag over & over again? 

or it'll only be Virat's job to apologize? 

like the girl legit calls him, her father's murderer in front of everyone & never once apologizes for her shitty behaviour? 

man Virat has so much patience & a HEALTHY EGO that he still married her after all of that just to protect her & still supports her over his family ðŸ˜†

sukri thumbnail

Originally posted by: by_stander

I was just watching clips of the Bengali version on youtube. Even if the plot is the same, the characters are completely different. I just realized that how toned down Sai is in this version. On the Bengali one, she is louder and more vocal, which most of us would find irritating. In the Hindi one, she is sassy with Bhavani and others which makes it funny, but in the Bengali one, she was kind of disrespectful.

@bold I believe so, I am sure they won't show her acting up like this all the time. Also, are you just referring to her actions from what we saw in the last episode or in general? Initially, she was a bit annoying as writers wanted to put a stark contrast between her and Virat's personality, but after her father's death, I feel like she has toned down a lot. And we have seen instances where she is trying to stay "shaant." I think we are slowly seeing her take control of her anger issues. However, it won't happen in just two days. It will take some time. 

Then probably we should be happy about the improvement from Bengali version. Sassy scenes for sure are nice.  

Being vocal is fine, but I am not sure if its just me or but dialogue delivery, huffing and puffing make it seem like Sai is hyper and throwing tantrum many times.  

Maybe I just need to wait and watch for her growth in upcoming months. 

sukri thumbnail

Originally posted by: happy007

lol what I want to know is that - does the Sai character ever apologize for her behaviour in other versions? after treating Virat character as her emotional punching bag over & over again? 

or it'll only be Virat's job to apologize? 

like the girl legit calls him, her father's murderer in front of everyone & never once apologizes for her shitty behaviour? 

man Virat has so much patience & a HEALTHY EGO that he still married her after all of that just to protect her & still supports her over his family ðŸ˜†

True, we know that she eventually doesn't think Virat is murderer, but not once do we hear that she is sorry for that outburst (or maybe I missed that scene). 

Thats why I feel its the writers who have to close this disconnect. I know we need drama quotient for TRP sake, but in order to show Paaki and Virat characters as mature one, they are making Sai too immature (more like a 13-15 yr old than 18). 

I am hoping that they will show her introspect and improve her character.

Male lead ka toh poocho hi mat - ITV also has limited spectrum when it comes to ML as well. Maybe that deserves a separate post ðŸ˜”

Eternized_Blues thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4

Sai is a fighter and she is the balance that you are asking about. The brashness is simply a nod to her age. 

I remember when I was 19-20 I thought I knew everything. The world was twisted and I could fight and fix it. I still do what I want to but I have perspective now. Sai will get the perspective as she grows. 

Jiggy7 thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4

For now, Sai seems like a hot-headed teenager shouting and arguing always.. One can be truthful and standup for oneself without taunting others or only shouting.. I liked the kitchen scene where she told Pakhi visiting their room without creating a fuss but that had such a nice impact.. Hopefully she tones down a bit and improves with time.. If you see the bedroom scenes, its like Virat trying to balance between 2 shouting women always and yesterday Virat took over the shouting match as well.. For Ashwini, it seems she is now supporting Sai in everything only because she opposes her Vahini.. You don't even do that if it's your own child...

Hopefully Sai grows to become something like Mauli of Silsila.. She was also a career-driven doctor, stood up for herself and others but wasn't disrespectful or teenagerish, had that innocence and truthfulness with her.. And a doc like Sai would like to become..

I can kind of understand how Sai is like.. Single child problems.. Hopefully she will learn with time and living in joint family should always help..

I-Am-SherLOCKED thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail + 2

As refreshing as Sai is, she is also a bit trope-y. You're right. I've not seen a non-doormat but also a non-shouty yet logical FL till now. Except for maybe Swadheenta Ramakrishnan from Dahleez. I don't know how many of you've watched it but she was just so enigmatic! Absolutely loved her.

RaarA thumbnail

Originally posted by: I-Am-SherLOCKED

As refreshing as Sai is, she is also a bit trope-y. You're right. I've not seen a non-doormat but also a non-shouty yet logical FL till now. Except for maybe Swadheenta Ramakrishnan from Dahleez. I don't know how many of you've watched it but she was just so enigmatic! Absolutely loved her.

Indeed I agree with you.. they are showing Sai more as a spoilt brat than a woman who is standing up for her rights.

And the example of swadheenta is totally legit.

We need female leads like swadheenta.  Ofcourse Sai should be sassy and a fighter. But needs to tone down her brash attitude and manage her anger.

I-Am-SherLOCKED thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: RaarA

Indeed I agree with you.. they are showing Sai more as a spoilt brat than a woman who is standing up for her rights.

And the example of swadheenta is totally legit.

We need female leads like swadheenta.  Ofcourse Sai should be sassy and a fighter. But needs to tone down her brash attitude and manage her anger.

OH MY!! Coming across a Dahleez viewer after AGES!!!