Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

diasingh2 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 3 years ago

Originally posted by: Mahisa22

Transgender is not an umbrella term. It's the same as transsexual. 

Here's the dictionary definition: Transgender people are people whose gender identity is different from the gender they were thought to be at birth. “Trans” is often used as shorthand for transgender. When we're born, a doctor usually says that we're male or female based on what our bodies look like

??

I am sorry but Transgender is indeed an umbrella term.
In pop culture, "Trans" (in short) may just refer just to transsexuals, but it isn't TRULY the case.

Govt. of India recognizes various alternate sexualites under "Transgender" umbrella in various forms/cards/websites.

I know wikipedia isn't a credible source, but it literally says that Transgender is an umbrella term in its first 3 sentences. You can check other sources too.

On broader topic,
a )Transsexuals are people who transition from their biological sex assigned at birth, to another sex.
b) Intersex are people born with ambiguous genetilia.
c) Hijra is OR has become more of a gender identity or gender expression.

For e.g.

1) Gazal Dhaliwal, was born male, transitioned to female and now she lives as a woman because she always identified as female, even with a male body. She is a Transsexual/Transwoman (legally female now).

2) Laxmi Narayan Tripathi, was born male, not intersex... she went on to identify herself as hijra/kinnar NOT Transwoman (she is not legally female).

3) Along the same lines, an intersex person may go on to identify as a hjra/kinnar OR as a Transsexual (Transman/Transwoman, depending on transition).

BUT ALL of the above sexualites will come under the "Transgender" umbrella,
including Transexuals except they are given a choice to choose between their reassigned sex (M or F) or "T" in their documents.

Although I agree that they're all different sexualites and shouldn't ideally be bracketed together.

Hope I was clear. I rest my case.

Edited by diasingh2 - 3 years ago
Stella_001 thumbnail
Anniversary 3 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: BettyA1

The definition of transgender 

denoting or relating to a person whose sense of personal identity and gender does not correspond with their birth sex.”

It’s more about feeling...

I don’t understand them being categorized together with people who are third sex biologically and have no choice in that matter... 

I think this is because the word kinnar here is used for both of them ..

this is the definition of kinnars I found on google 
In the Indian subcontinent, kinnars are eunuchs, intersex people, and transgender people.

Stella_001 thumbnail

Originally posted by: BettyA1

The definition of transgender 

denoting or relating to a person whose sense of personal identity and gender does not correspond with their birth sex.”

It’s more about feeling...

I don’t understand them being categorized together with people who are third sex biologically and have no choice in that matter... 

Also according to wiki 
Transgender, often shortened as trans, is also an umbrella term. In addition to including people whose gender identity is the opposite of their assigned sex (trans men and trans women ), it may include people who are not exclusively masculine or feminine (people who are non- binary , including bigender, pan gender, genderfluid, or agender). Other definitions of transgender also include people who belong to a third gender , or else conceptualize transgender people as a third gender

Stella_001 thumbnail

THIS IS the difference. Intersex/non-binary people are the third gender, but a transgender belongs to the gender he/she chooses, e.g. a transman is a 'man' and not 'third gender'. This is where South Asians are backward. 

there are more than he/she pronouns some of them uses they/them or neo pronouns too .. and addressing them with the pronouns which they haven’t chosen for themselves is mid gendering them and offensive 

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

IDK. The trailer appeared crass and loud. But what do I know? 

Stella_001 thumbnail

Also there’s a difference between transgender and transsexual 

Transgender is an umbrella term which includes transsexuals , intersex , eunuch , non binary , bi gender , pan gender and agender 

And transsexual is specifically used for person who feels like they r trapped in wrong body .. that is trans men and trans women 

Originally posted by: Stella_001

Also there’s a difference between transgender and transsexual 

Transgender is an umbrella term which includes transsexuals , intersex , eunuch , non binary , bi gender , pan gender and agender 

And transsexual is specifically used for person who feels like they r trapped in wrong body .. that is trans men and trans women 

No, transgender and transsexual means the same by international parlance. In the West, transgender means transsexual.

Originally posted by: diasingh2

??

I am sorry but Transgender is indeed an umbrella term.
In pop culture, "Trans" (in short) may just refer just to transsexuals, but it isn't TRULY the case.

Govt. of India recognizes various alternate sexualites under "Transgender" umbrella in various forms/cards/websites.

I know wikipedia isn't a credible source, but it literally says that Transgender is an umbrella term in its first 3 sentences. You can check other sources too.

On broader topic,
a )Transsexuals are people who transition from their biological sex assigned at birth, to another sex.
b) Intersex are people born with ambiguous genetilia.
c) Hijra is OR has become more of a gender identity or gender expression.

For e.g.

1) Gazal Dhaliwal, was born male, transitioned to female and now she lives as a woman because she always identified as female, even with a male body. She is a Transsexual/Transwoman (legally female now).

2) Laxmi Narayan Tripathi, was born male, not intersex... she went on to identify herself as hijra/kinnar NOT Transwoman (she is not legally female).

3) Along the same lines, an intersex person may go on to identify as a hjra/kinnar OR as a Transsexual (Transman/Transwoman, depending on transition).

BUT ALL of the above sexualites will come under the "Transgender" umbrella,
including Transexuals except they are given a choice to choose between their reassigned sex (M or F) or "T" in their documents.

Although I agree that they're all different sexualites and shouldn't ideally be bracketed together.

Hope I was clear. I rest my case.

This definition of GOI is faulty. The dictionary meaning of transgender clashes with the definition that GOI has set. The world over, "transgender" is used to mean people trapped in opposite sex bodies.

Stella_001 thumbnail

No, transgender and transsexual means the same by international parlance. In the West, transgender means transsexual.

trust me it’s not ..

transsexual and transgender are completely different things even in west .. and by saying it’s the same thing one will be excluding intersex , non binary , bi binary , pan binary , agender and eunuch .. and as it says in the name itself transsexual refers to ones sexuality and transgender refers to ones gender .. 

Transgender is really an umbrella term just like gay is and transsexual is a specific term 

Edited by Stella_001 - 3 years ago

Originally posted by: Stella_001

trust me it’s not ..

transsexual and transgender are completely different things even in west .. and by saying it’s the same thing one will be excluding intersex , non binary , bi binary , pan binary , agender and eunuch .. and as it says in the name itself transsexual refers to ones sexuality and transgender refers to ones gender .. 

Transgender is really an umbrella term just like gay is and transsexual is a specific term 

Non-binary and other people are not called transgender by anyone AFAIK. This 'umbrella' term is only by Indian govt's definition.