Users

Frequent Posters

Posted: 3 years ago

Originally posted by: MujheMaarjaneDo

in the world.

lets not act like world is enlightened about LGBTQ+

This is not about enlightenment

Kinnar exclusively don't mean intersex only

A huge portion of kinnar are eunuch, intersex and transmen.

Nah the thing is the people from eunuch, trans and intersex (who are rare) want themselves to be called Kinnars, as the word Hijra is found offensive. Hence the confusion.

And sorry people always get confused between hermaphrodites, transsexuals, eunuchs and traps, it isn't a western or eastern thing.

First of all, hermaphrodites and intersex are the same thing. Trans is completely different. And no, trans people in India NEVER want to be referred to as kinnars, transwomen want to be called women and transmen as men. 

I repeat, that's only in undeveloped and developing countries where people are not much educated about these things. In Western countries, every single person knows what transgender means. Try to follow any normal forum discussion on trans people and trans rights, and you'll see. They know the differences because trans rights movements are much, much stronger in those countries. Just read a normal Twitter discussion on transgenders, and you'll see that everyone knows what they mean.

It's only third-world people like us who get confused.

Edited by Mahisa22 - 3 years ago
Ur-Miserable thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: Mahisa22

First of all, hermaphrodites and intersex are the same thing. Trans is completely different. And no, trans people in India NEVER want to be referred to as kinnars, transwomen want to be called women and transmen as men. 

I repeat, that's only in undeveloped and developing countries where people are not much educated about these things. In Western countries, every single person knows what transgender means. Try to follow any normal forum discussion on trans people and trans rights, and you'll see. They know the differences because trans rights movements are much, much stronger in those countries. Just read a normal Twitter discussion on transgenders, and you'll see that everyone knows what they mean.

It's only third-world people like us who get confused.

That is why when I wrote hermaphrodite, I didn't had intersex in the same line. So thank you for telling me what I already know.

Secondly, there are many hijras groups and eunuchs who prefer to be called grouped in the same category as Kinnar. And many hijras are transgenders and traps, with very little percentage of them.being intersex.

And lastly, western world is no way more educated than us when it comes to the LGBT+, I mean they definitely aren't anywhere near South Asia, given South Asian region have always had given a social place to the so called third gender, which basically categories the eunuchs, trans, traps and intersex. So yeah we aren't not educated, just that we don't follow the annoying political correctness that western world prides itself on.

diasingh2 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

I find it frustrating that people don't know the difference between transgender and intersex. 

Transgender= People who are born male but have the mannerisms of a female, OR people who are born female but have mannerisms and the soul of a male.

Intesex= People who are born with both sexual organs of male and female. The THIRD GENDER. 

You're partially right and partially wrong.

First of all, Transgender is an umbrella term for alternate sexualities like Intersex, ThirdSex, Kinnar or whatever they prefer as well as transsexuals.

Transexuals are those who go ahead and reassign their sex as per how they feel from inside (sex of their brain, or their "soul" you may call it).

"Mannerisms" has very little to do with being transgender.

TotalBetty thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

The definition of transgender 

denoting or relating to a person whose sense of personal identity and gender does not correspond with their birth sex.”

It’s more about feeling...

I don’t understand them being categorized together with people who are third sex biologically and have no choice in that matter... 

TotalBetty thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

I’ve seen comments online westerners asking questions about intersex people of India (in a movie site where there was scene about an intersex person) they had no idea about people who’re biologically that way, they only knew about transgender people who feel thar way

That is why when I wrote hermaphrodite, I didn't had intersex in the same line. So thank you for telling me what I already know.

Secondly, there are many hijras groups and eunuchs who prefer to be called grouped in the same category as Kinnar. And many hijras are transgenders and traps, with very little percentage of them.being intersex.

And lastly, western world is no way more educated than us when it comes to the LGBT+, I mean they definitely aren't anywhere near South Asia, given South Asian region have always had given a social place to the so called third gender, which basically categories the eunuchs, trans, traps and intersex. So yeah we aren't not educated, just that we don't follow the annoying political correctness that western world prides itself on.

Looks like you didn't grasp the concept of 'transgender'. You're still saying that 'many hijras are transgenders'. 

Hijras are hermaphrodites or maybe eunuchs, while trans are physically fully male or fully female.

Kinnars have BOTH MALE AND FEMALE organs, while trans are mentally female, physically female (or physically male, mentally female).

People in India call kinnars 'transgenders' when the two are BIOLOGICALLY different. This has nothing to do with political correctness. TRANSGENDERS ARE NOT THIRD GENDER. 

Please read up on transgenders and watch a few videos about India's trans community. A lot of your confusion will get cleared. And your post itself shows that Indians don't get the terms or their meaning. There's a lot to learn.

Originally posted by: diasingh2

You're partially right and partially wrong.

First of all, Transgender is an umbrella term for alternate sexualities like Intersex, ThirdSex, Kinnar or whatever they prefer as well as transsexuals.

Transexuals are those who go ahead and reassign their sex as per how they feel from inside (sex of their brain, or their "soul" you may call it).

"Mannerisms" has very little to do with being transgender.

Transgender is not an umbrella term. It's the same as transsexual. 

Here's the dictionary definition: Transgender people are people whose gender identity is different from the gender they were thought to be at birth. “Trans” is often used as shorthand for transgender. When we're born, a doctor usually says that we're male or female based on what our bodies look like

Ur-Miserable thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

Looks like you didn't grasp the concept of 'transgender'. You're still saying that 'many hijras are transgenders'. 

Hijras are hermaphrodites or maybe eunuchs, while trans are physically fully male or fully female.

Kinnars have BOTH MALE AND FEMALE organs, while trans are mentally female, physically female (or physically male, mentally female).

People in India call kinnars 'transgenders' when the two are BIOLOGICALLY different. This has nothing to do with political correctness. TRANSGENDERS ARE NOT THIRD GENDER. 

Please read up on transgenders and watch a few videos about India's trans community. A lot of your confusion will get cleared. And your post itself shows that Indians don't get the terms or their meaning. There's a lot to learn.

Yes I do know the word kinnar and its origins.

But the thing is many transgender groups in India, want themselves to be called Kinnars, because they think it is more dignified than hijra. It isnt a biological thingy, but what term some of these people want  to be known as. 

Also majority of hijras aren't intersex people, but males who feel trapped in female bodies and eunuches. 

you are trying to force whatever new woke terminalogy into an argument which didn't needed it.

And when third gender is basically anything which isn't male or female as per the legal definition in India. So Hijras come under that, and not all hijras are intersex.

Edited by MujheMaarjaneDo - 3 years ago

Yes I do know the word kinnar and its origins.

But the thing is many transgender groups in India, want themselves to be called Kinnars, because they think it is more dignified than hijra. It isnt a biological thingy, but what term some of these people want  to be known as. 

Also majority of hijras aren't intersex people, but males who feel trapped in female bodies and eunuches. 

you are trying to force whatever new woke terminalogy into an argument which didn't needed it.

Bold: That is an oxymoronic sentence. The term 'hijra' by connotation means inter-sex. If transgender could have a Hindi word, it would be 'rupantarkaami'. NOT hijra or Kinnar. 

And no, a male who is trapped in a female body and wants to become male, is called a 'transman'. For females who are trapped in male bodies, they are transwomen. Take the example of Manabi Banerjee in India. She was born as Somnath with full male organs. She was a woman by soul and always felt like a woman from inside, so she went through an operation and became a full-fledged woman. Now you should call her only as 'woman' or 'transwoman'. You can not call her third gender/kinnar because she is not third gender or kinnar. She is a woman. Understood?

This is where the Western world advancement comes in. If you follow social media discussions among westerners on trans people, they consider transmen as 'full men' and transwomen as 'fully women'. Not to be segregated and considered the 'third sex' like intersex people. If you say before a foreigner that a transman is not a real man but third gender, you will be considered transphobic. Currently, there is a strong movement all over the world to see transmen and transwomen as normal men and women.

THIS IS the difference. Intersex/non-binary people are the third gender, but a transgender belongs to the gender he/she chooses, e.g. a transman is a 'man' and not 'third gender'. This is where South Asians are backward. 

Edited by Mahisa22 - 3 years ago