oa2019 thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 3 years ago

hi everybody i just wanted to put across my thoughts on the aspect of the ML being a hero.  these are my own views & thoughts remaining completely neutral. I don't like Anu's characterisation (will explain below) the only reason i find him tolerable & somewhat likeable is Parth's portrayal. 

so starting with Anu's character, he's a ML with a hero complex, this is a dangerous thing & makes him exactly the opposite of what he's intended to be, a hero. having a hero complex is when one feels they are personally responsible in saving people.  he started of as a compassionate guy who wanted to save a friend, Prerna, from a mistake (wedding in NB track) & when she fell in love with him, it further reinforced the idea of him being a hero.  so when the next Kausauti came along, his hero psyche jumped into action & without talking to Prerna, he made the decision to act alone to save her.  with his reinforced idea of being her saviour he felt his actions were justified. (i know some will say that Prerna taught him about sacrifice in love πŸ™„ but this is about Anu's psyche, not hers). another point to be noted is when Prerna told him about 'Thornbird' he took that idea literally & merged it with his hero complex to create an image of an ideal hero that Prerna wants.

in Bajaj1 track he lost his wits & senses & acted out of character because it was Prerna who had become his saviour.  he believes his identity as a hero/saviour was taken from him & was at a loss of what to do. when the reveal happened, it confirmed that he was THE HERO & the girl still loved him, he didn't even need to show GRATITUDE. (i would have preferred if he had apologised & grovelled to Prerna, she deserved that at least πŸ™„)

the next Kasauti, 'the bridge' was the biggest one.  he had to make a decision not just for Prerna but his daughter as well. his HERO/SAVIOUR complex made him feel that he was completely justified in making a decision for Prerna's life without consulting her.  he knew that all said & done, Prerna will forgive & return to him one day. 

that's exactly what Prerna does everysingle time. it's a dangerous narrative that i believe,  is the same across the ITV board.  it reinforced the idea that as long as the ML/MAN does anything & everything in the name of love, he should be forgiven. there's no real difference between the ML & another male character or their actions, EXCEPT THE LOVE TAG. the narrative is pushed that if your submissive & forgiving like Prerna, you'll get someone like Anu who'll love you madly πŸ˜’

i know this is REEL & only entertainment but when you have almost identical shows on every single channel it affects the REAL. I've seen many viewers, not just female, justify Anu's actions, because he's the hero/ML, at the expense of Prerna. she is shown REACTING to Anu's ACTIONS only & that's her role.  she has no identity except in regards to Anu. this happens across the board,  if even 1 out of 5 girls watching these shows believes the narrative (be a FL of a show & get the HERO) then that's very dangerous.  SOME GIRLS CAN BE VERY IMPRESSIONABLE & VULNERABLE.

makers should show ML's being respectful towards the FL, communicating with her to solve problems togther & taking into account her wishes & encouraging her.  the most important is, apologising when they're wrong. this will reinforce & strengthen the idea that the FL & WOMEN in general are worth more & are deserving of love, respect & protection. 

of course i understand that not all shows can be like that, it depends on the content being shown.  BUT right now most,  if not all, shows are about the ML/FL falling in love, separating & uniting as per the ML wishes, & the FL just accepting & forgiving all he does πŸ˜” it's frustrating that the FL is shown as meek & submissive & people just accept it.  with violence against women on the rise it's important, now more than ever, to show the positivity men can bring in women's lives & the strength a woman can have.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

oa2019 thumbnail

Originally posted by: opsora2090

wrong thread

hi do you mean i posted in the wrong thread?

PenguinBaby thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6

I think she posted in the wrong threadπŸ˜†

Eri-Kavana thumbnail

Originally posted by: oa2019

hi everybody i just wanted to put across my thoughts on the aspect of the ML being a hero.  these are my own views & thoughts remaining completely neutral. I don't like Anu's characterisation (will explain below) the only reason i find him tolerable & somewhat likeable is Parth's portrayal. 

so starting with Anu's character, he's a ML with a hero complex, this is a dangerous thing & makes him exactly the opposite of what he's intended to be, a hero. having a hero complex is when one feels they are personally responsible in saving people.  he started of as a compassionate guy who wanted to save a friend, Prerna, from a mistake (wedding in NB track) & when she fell in love with him, it further reinforced the idea of him being a hero.  so when the next Kausauti came along, his hero psyche jumped into action & without talking to Prerna, he made the decision to act alone to save her.  with his reinforced idea of being her saviour he felt his actions were justified. (i know some will say that Prerna taught him about sacrifice in love πŸ™„ but this is about Anu's psyche, not hers). another point to be noted is when Prerna told him about 'Thornbird' he took that idea literally & merged it with his hero complex to create an image of an ideal hero that Prerna wants.

in Bajaj1 track he lost his wits & senses & acted out of character because it was Prerna who had become his saviour.  he believes his identity as a hero/saviour was taken from him & was at a loss of what to do. when the reveal happened, it confirmed that he was THE HERO & the girl still loved him, he didn't even need to show GRATITUDE. (i would have preferred if he had apologised & grovelled to Prerna, she deserved that at least πŸ™„)

the next Kasauti, 'the bridge' was the biggest one.  he had to make a decision not just for Prerna but his daughter as well. his HERO/SAVIOUR complex made him feel that he was completely justified in making a decision for Prerna's life without consulting her.  he knew that all said & done, Prerna will forgive & return to him one day. 

that's exactly what Prerna does everysingle time. it's a dangerous narrative that i believe,  is the same across the ITV board.  it reinforced the idea that as long as the ML/MAN does anything & everything in the name of love, he should be forgiven. there's no real difference between the ML & another male character or their actions, EXCEPT THE LOVE TAG. the narrative is pushed that if your submissive & forgiving like Prerna, you'll get someone like Anu who'll love you madly πŸ˜’

i know this is REEL & only entertainment but when you have almost identical shows on every single channel it affects the REAL. I've seen many viewers, not just female, justify Anu's actions, because he's the hero/ML, at the expense of Prerna. she is shown REACTING to Anu's ACTIONS only & that's her role.  she has no identity except in regards to Anu. this happens across the board,  if even 1 out of 5 girls watching these shows believes the narrative (be a FL of a show & get the HERO) then that's very dangerous.  SOME GIRLS CAN BE VERY IMPRESSIONABLE & VULNERABLE.

makers should show ML's being respectful towards the FL, communicating with her to solve problems togther & taking into account her wishes & encouraging her.  the most important is, apologising when they're wrong. this will reinforce & strengthen the idea that the FL & WOMEN in general are worth more & are deserving of love, respect & protection. 

of course i understand that not all shows can be like that, it depends on the content being shown.  BUT right now most,  if not all, shows are about the ML/FL falling in love, separating & uniting as per the ML wishes, & the FL just accepting & forgiving all he does πŸ˜” it's frustrating that the FL is shown as meek & submissive & people just accept it.  with violence against women on the rise it's important, now more than ever, to show the positivity men can bring in women's lives & the strength a woman can have.

Superb post. Agree with you completely.

It's exactly what is happening which you've felt here. You should go to Twitter, almost all ML supporters are blaming FL for not understanding ML as to why he pushed her from the bridge. How majboor he was. During the temple confrontation, when Pre repeatedly blames him of pushing her from bridge, they were like Anu shud push her from the stairs & just leave from there. They were so insensitive towards Pre😑😭

aryapdane thumbnail
Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

I totally agree with every point you have raised. As always, you have made a very articulate post that is also very thought provoking.

It is time to question the content that we are being served everyday. There is not one single story on TV today that doesn't push forward a problematic narrative. And this show has been the leader in showing problematic content (the only place where it was a success). Every single track is filled with elements that made me want to scream out in frustration or outrage. You have brilliantly illustrated Anurag's saviour complex that kicks in and makes this show such a difficult thing to tolerate. It seems this season the show makers diverted from the age old formula of TV where the female lead is the captain of the ship. Coz Prerna is definitely not in charge here, Anurag is. His actions moves the plot forward. He is centre-stage and Prerna is a bystander to everything. Since day one, Prerna has allowed things to happen to her. And that is something that seems quite a lazy thing to do on part of the writers of this show. Especially in this day and age. 

Prerna is a 21st century woman. Are you seriously telling me that she has no dreams, no aspirations outside getting married and having a family? And man is she obsessed with marriage! Her response to every problem in her life is to marry it. 

To think that the first time where she decided to take matters into her own hand and not wait for Anurag to save the day is the Sautan track, it's just shameful. The only purpose of her character was that she's supposed to be the love interest of Anurag. She has no identity outside that.

Which brings me to the second point that you raised. Should content creators be held accountable for their role in moulding impressionable minds? We cannot say that what we watch doesn't affect our thinking in any manner because whatever we see, whether we like it or not becomes a part of us. Our mind is a collection of thoughts that we have acquired throughout our lives. So, is it really alright if every show on TV is trying to shape our perceptions of love? And it's not just the perception of love, is it? It's the narrative that you have to be a certain kind of female to be deserving of 'true' and 'ideal' love. And I know people say that the audience demands regressive content and that is why we get it. But I think that people have to stop blaming the audience now. The argument that we love watching women getting slapped by their husbands and lovers or even their mother-in-laws, being treated like an object is just not good enough. What is wrong, is wrong. It needs to be called out. No matter how normal it seems. No matter how often it happens. We cannot say, "well, that is how our societies function" and walk away. Otherwise, we'd still be burning widows on the pyres of their departed husbands. And people who are writers, directors and so on play a huge role in holding a mirror to the faults of the society. Let's not forget that it was the thinkers and writers of France who laid the foundation for the French Revolution. 

Wistfulness thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7

Originally posted by: aryapdane

I totally agree with every point you have raised. As always, you have made a very articulate post that is also very thought provoking.

It is time to question the content that we are being served everyday. There is not one single story on TV today that doesn't push forward a problematic narrative. And this show has been the leader in showing problematic content (the only place where it was a success). Every single track is filled with elements that made me want to scream out in frustration or outrage. You have brilliantly illustrated Anurag's saviour complex that kicks in and makes this show such a difficult thing to tolerate. It seems this season the show makers diverted from the age old formula of TV where the female lead is the captain of the ship. Coz Prerna is definitely not in charge here, Anurag is. His actions moves the plot forward. He is centre-stage and Prerna is a bystander to everything. Since day one, Prerna has allowed things to happen to her. And that is something that seems quite a lazy thing to do on part of the writers of this show. Especially in this day and age. 

Prerna is a 21st century woman. Are you seriously telling me that she has no dreams, no aspirations outside getting married and having a family? And man is she obsessed with marriage! Her response to every problem in her life is to marry it. 

To think that the first time where she decided to take matters into her own hand and not wait for Anurag to save the day is the Sautan track, it's just shameful. The only purpose of her character was that she's supposed to be the love interest of Anurag. She has no identity outside that.

Which brings me to the second point that you raised. Should content creators be held accountable for their role in moulding impressionable minds? We cannot say that what we watch doesn't affect our thinking in any manner because whatever we see, whether we like it or not becomes a part of us. Our mind is a collection of thoughts that we have acquired throughout our lives. So, is it really alright if every show on TV is trying to shape our perceptions of love? And it's not just the perception of love, is it? It's the narrative that you have to be a certain kind of female to be deserving of 'true' and 'ideal' love. And I know people say that the audience demands regressive content and that is why we get it. But I think that people have to stop blaming the audience now. The argument that we love watching women getting slapped by their husbands and lovers or even their mother-in-laws, being treated like an object is just not good enough. What is wrong, is wrong. It needs to be called out. No matter how normal it seems. No matter how often it happens. We cannot say, "well, that is how our societies function" and walk away. Otherwise, we'd still be burning widows on the pyres of their departed husbands. And people who are writers, directors and so on play a huge role in holding a mirror to the faults of the society. Let's not forget that it was the thinkers and writers of France who laid the foundation for the French Revolution. 

WORD. πŸ‘

Though there are issues in almost all shows, this one is way too problematic even by the low standards of regressive ITV content. 

I saw nothing but the glorification of abuse.

oa2019 thumbnail

Originally posted by: SanyaEterna

I think she posted in the wrong threadπŸ˜†

oh ok πŸ˜†

oa2019 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Eri-Kavana

Superb post. Agree with you completely.

It's exactly what is happening which you've felt here. You should go to Twitter, almost all ML supporters are blaming FL for not understanding ML as to why he pushed her from the bridge. How majboor he was. During the temple confrontation, when Pre repeatedly blames him of pushing her from bridge, they were like Anu shud push her from the stairs & just leave from there. They were so insensitive towards Pre😑😭

i came across the same hence why i posted. this is the drawback of glorifying ML's actions in every show, it results in viewers associating that negative male & often misogynistic behaviour with the emotion of love. Prernas behaviour was a reaction to Anu's actions so she was completely justified. BUT her pain doesn't compare to Anu's, the FL's emotions & actions have to always relate positively to the ML or she is vilified πŸ˜’

even male viewers get influenced, men will see it as justification of how they treat women in relationships because they're in love & know that women will forgive & accept them back.  it's the wrong message to give to both genders πŸ˜”

durga33 thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

I noticed this way back. This is why I said the show delivers a very wrong and disturbing message. Majority of the people who defend the ML actions and want prerna to return to him are mostly female. That is very troubling. And like you said there are girls in the real world who are vulnerable and fall prey to such stories. There are girls who believe that a prince charming exist out there when that's not true. They look to these kind of stories as confirmation that such exist in the real world. Let's just say if the ML was forced to commit an atrocious act by komolika such as really sleeping with a random girl to make prerna hate him can that be justified? I can guarantee that most will still want the ML to get together with the female lead. The message that I got from this show is that a man can do whatever he wants with the person he loves and she will still come back to him. I saw a girl going back to an abuser. 

surbhi1995 thumbnail

That's the main problem.Audience r so much into damsel in distress idea that they can't look beyond anything else.

Independent,head strong girl with their own personality is not bring liked by trp Audience.

That's why ekta or anyother producer do not want to show anything like that.

Simple formula more tears ,more abuse with fl,more profit and trp.

What is actually needed is to show realistic character with realistic problems.

Even in kzk,there were so many realistic kasautis in anupre life fir rail ki patri concept which could have shown character development and growth in anupre.

Like prerna and anurag mutually decided to support their family despite loving eachother.prerna determination to take a solid stand for her family and built her own carrier without anyone's support,even premarital pragnancy track could have been dealt in more progressive way.

There was absolutely no need to show villains like komo and bjaj for rail ki patri concept.Absolutely no need for anurag or prerna to think that either of them has the right to take decision on other behalf.

That's what anurag did in komo1 track and prerna did in bjaj1 track,even prerna in Naveen track decided for everyone in her family without taking their opinion into consideration.

I won't say much about bridge trach as this track never make much sense to me.