Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Aditi_X thumbnail
Anniversary 3 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 3 years ago

Part 21

Bhalla House - later that day, dinner time

Toshi served a plate for Romi and Raman who were already seated at the dining table. Meanwhile, she kept hollering to the rest of the family to come out for dinner. Omprakash and Rinki hurried outside and joined the dinner table. Ishita brought Ruhi outside, who had just finished her homework. While Ishita served Ruhi, Toshi insisted on serving everyone else herself. She gave everyone extra portions and offered various sweets as well. Everyone could see that she was on cloud nine today. After all, her son had come home. For real. Raman and Romi had made up earlier today and the cracks in their family were being healed. Omprakash too felt a wave of relief and happiness wash over him every time he looked at his wife and kids. The stress that gripped him for years now seemed to subside, as Raman had finally begun turning back into the happy and loving man he used to be. It would take time for the cracks in their relationships to heal completely, but they were off to a great start. 

“Ruhi, chalo beta. Start eating now.” Ishita urged her daughter to begin dinner but Ruhi’s gaze was transfixed on her father and chachu. Something seemed off. Everyone was… happier than usual. And then it struck her.

“Ishimaa?” 

“Haa beta?”

“Papa aur chachu ki batti ho gayi kya?” she asked, grabbing everyone’s attention.

“Yes beta. Mumma ne kaha tha na? Brothers mein jhagda hota hai par jaldi patch-up bhi ho jata hai.”

“Par mumma, papa aur chachu ki fight to two days long thi. Itni lambi fight kyun?”

“Ab ye to tumhare papa aur chachu hi bata sakte hain. Kyun papa? Kyun chachu?”

Ishita gave a meaningful smirk to Raman and Romi, as she put them on the spot. 

“Woh kya hai na beta…” Raman faltered. How were you supposed to tell a four-year old that you couldn’t talk to your own brother merely because of your ego?

“Ruhi, actually main batata hoon…” Romi began with confidence that quickly drained away. “Actually woh kya hua na…”

Toshi interrupted her kids and spoke to Ruhi directly. “Ruhi puttar, tere papa aur tere chachu bilkul buddhu hai. Kisi ko pehle sorry nahi bolna tha na, isiliye unka jhagda itna lamba chala.”

“Par ab to koi fight nahi hai na?” Ruhi asked.

“Nahi puttar, bilkul nahi. Aur agar hogi bhi na to maine sabko chittar maar maar ke thik kar dena hai. Tu tension na le.”

Ruhi burst into laughter along with Rinki, Ishita, Toshi, and Omprakash. Romi and Raman joined in too, even if very softly. 

………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Raman and Ishita’s bedroom - right before bedtime

Ishita had just put Ruhi to bed. Raman was outside attending to a phone call, so she closed the door and changed into her night clothes there. After disposing of her saree and blouse in the laundry basket, she brushed through her hair as she got ready for bed. Although her hands were busy untangling her hair, her mind was preoccupied with other thoughts -- namely her husband. When she had first met Raman, she had taken him to be a selfish, arrogant, money-minded, and self-obsessed man. But all her first impressions were proven false over the last four months as the depth of his pain and the wounds of his past came to the forefront. He was truly a family man but had cut himself off after such a deep heartbreak. He had spent five years of his life in pain and loneliness; no wonder he was so bitter. Even so, he couldn’t get rid of his inner sweetness. A smile crept up on Ishita’s face as she was reminded of Raman and Romi’s banter earlier that evening after they had patched up. She recalled how gentle he was with Ruhi. She even acknowledged how understanding he had been when he had offered to share Ruhi’s custody with her. She sighed. Raman Bhalla was much more than what meets the eye.

“Ishita puttar?”

Ishita set down her hairbrush and opened the door. It was her mother-in-law.

“Mummyji, aap? Andar aayiye na.” They proceeded inside the bedroom. “Kuch kaam tha?”

“Nahi puttar. Bas tujhe thank you bolna tha.”

“Thank you kis liye? Maine kya kiya?”

“Puttar, mainu pata hai, Raman mein yeh badlav teri wajah se aaya hai. Tere aur Ruhi ke aane se hi humare ghar mein khushiyaan wapis aayi hai.” Toshi caressed Ishita’s cheek in motherly affection. “Aur Romi ne bhi mujhe bataya ki tune use kitni changi salah di thi. Uske liye thank you puttar.”

“Mummyji, kya aap bhi.” Ishita took Toshi’s hand that was on her cheek in her own hands. “Aap thank you kyun bol rahi hai? Maine aisa kuch nahi kiya hai.”

“Puttar, tu badi changi hai. Sach kahun toh maine teri aur Raman ki shaadi ke liye sirf Ruhi ki wajah se haan ki thi. Lekin ab lagta hai ki tujh se acchi bahu aur acchi patni Raman ko nahi mil sakti thi. Kaash tu Shagun se pehle mere bete ki zindagi mein aati…. Khair, koi gal nahi. Beeti baaton pe mitti pao. Abhi to tu aa gayi hai na? Ab mainu apne bete ki koi chinta nahi hai.”

After one last glance of appreciation, Toshi left Ishita who was now caught in her own whirlwind of thoughts. It surprised her that her mother-in-law considered her to be Raman’s perfect match. Now that she thought of it, Rinki, Romi, and Omprakash had a similar opinion too. As humbled as she was, it made no sense to her. Yes, maybe she and Raman weren’t as different as she had initially thought, but that didn’t make them a perfect match. They still had very little in common; they still belonged to very different cultures; and they were just outright different people. So how could they be a perfect match?

You and Subbu were a perfect match, right? Same culture, same career, same likes and dislikes. What happened to that?

Okay, maybe you didn’t need so much in common to make a good relationship. But that didn’t mean Raman was her perfect match. No way. No sir. They couldn’t be husband and wife in the real sense. They couldn’t really fall in love. But they would definitely be happy. After all, they had Ruhi. As co-parents, they would be happy as a family of three. 

“Kaash tu Shagun se pehle mere bete ki zindagi mein aati….”

“Abhi to tu aa gayi hai na? Ab mainu apne bete ki koi chinta nahi hai.”

Raman slumped on the couch of his living room as his mother’s words rang in his ears. He had inadvertently overheard his mother and Ishita’s conversation after his phone call had ended. Even though he wouldn’t admit it, he knew Ishita was a wondrous woman. But hearing his mother’s praise for Ishita knocked the wind out of his lungs. For the first time, he truly realized how grateful he was to his wife. She had done so much for him and his family in a mere few weeks. She and his daughter had turned his life upside down in only four months. Four months. That’s all it took for these two ladies to wash away his pain of five long years. An unfamiliar warmth spread through his chest.

Toshi noticed Raman deep in thought as she was on her way to her bedroom. She walked closer to him and placed a hand on his head.

“Ki hoya puttar? Tujhe sona nahi hai?”

“Haan maa, jaa raha hoon. Ek phone call tha to…”

“Tune meri aur Ishita ki baatein sun li?”

Raman sighed and nodded. Damn, it was impossible to hide anything from his mother. Toshi took a seat beside her son and patted his shoulder reassuringly. 

“Puttar, tainu sach mein Ishita ke roop mein badi changi biwi mili hai. Mainu yakeen hai ki tujhe uske saath zindagi bhar ki khushiyaan milegi. Sab kuch thik rahega, dekhna.”

“Maa, maana ki Ishita sach mein bahot acchi hai. Lekin uske aur mere beech mein Ruhi ke maa-baap se zyada koi rishta nahi ho sakta. To aisi koi galat fehmi mat paaliye.”

“Par kyun, puttar?”

Raman had no answer. He was a complicated man. He couldn’t just open his heart like that anymore. He could barely be real with his own parents and siblings. How could he open himself to Ishita? Little did he know, Raman had already opened up to her more than he cared to admit.

Toshi read his silence correctly. “Raman, I know you are scared. But trust me. You’ll be really happy with her. Your union was a perfect match. Don’t think too much. Just promise me you won’t close yourself off again.”

Raman nodded to his mother, mainly to get her to drop the topic. It worked.

“Chal puttar, ab tu bhi so jaa. Main bhi chalti hoon. Good night.”

“Good night, maa.”

Toshi sauntered into her bedroom as she chuckled at her son and daughter-in-law. Both of them were stubborn as rocks. Neither would accept it now, but she could see how much they were meant to be. Maybe not now, but eventually, they would accept it too. All in due time.

Bhalla House - A few days later, Friday, August 10th, 9:30 pm

“Did everyone get their passes?” Rinki asked again. “You won’t be allowed in the auditorium without your passes.”

“Rinki, hum sab ko passes bhi mil gaye aur hum sab waqt par pahoch bhi jaayenge. Kitni baar bolna padega?” Romi teased.

“Agar kal koi bhi late hua na, to mujhse bura koi nahi hoga!” Rinki warned.

The Bhalla family was gathered in their living room after dinner listening to Rinki’s orders for the nth time. She was graduating college tomorrow and was somehow excited and nervous at the same time. She had passed out passes for the ceremony to everyone, including her own family, Simi and Pulkit, and the Iyers. The ceremony began at 10 am and although she and her fellow students had to be there by 9, family members had to report before 10. She made it perfectly clear that she would not tolerate anyone being late. Rinki was hardly ever this uptight when it came to rules, but her graduation ceremony was a different story. And no one dared cross her today. 

“O Puttarji! Thoda shaant raho! Sab kuch theek se ho jaana hai.” Omprakash insisted as he placed a loving hand on her shoulder. 

“Ha Rinki, tu tension na le,” Toshi told her daughter. “Hum sab pahoch jayenge time pe. Tu ab jaa ke aaram kar aur kal ke liye taiyyar ho ja. Kal tera bahot bada din hai.”

“Thik hai mumma. Aur aap sab bhi jaldi se so jao. Kal subah 10 baje…”

“10 BAJE TAK PAHOCHNA HAI. PATA HAI!!” Romi and Raman yelled at once, exasperated.

Rinki stomped inside with a pout. Her brothers always managed to get on her nerves but this was important. They couldn’t be late. It was her graduation. She had always been the baby of the family who was fussed over and worried over and pampered. And as great as that sounds, she worried that she wasn’t always taken seriously. She just wanted to prove that she was a smart, strong, capable woman now. She was all grown up, not the baby of the family anymore. She longed to see the feeling of pride in the eyes of her parents and elder siblings. Especially Raman. It took five years for him to return home, and now that he was here, she was keen at rekindling their relationship. She didn’t realize how engrossed she was in her thoughts until Ishita’s voice at her door shook her alert. 

“Rinki? Rinki?! Kahan kho gayi?” Ishita asked as she walked in.

“Kahin nahi bhabhi. Aap ko kuch chahiye tha kya?”

“Nahi, in fact main to tumhe puchne aayi thi yeh. Do you need anything?”

“No bhabhi. I’m good.”

“Are you sure? You’ve been so on edge today.”

“I just want tomorrow to be perfect, Bhabhi.” Rinki sighed and slumped onto her bed. “I don’t want anything to go wrong.”

Ishita sat down beside her. “Everything will go perfectly Rinki. You will graduate, and we will all be so proud of you, as we are every day.”

“Bhabhi, you always know what to say, don’t you? You know, this graduation means a lot to me. Growing up, I always heard about my future as a wife and daughter-in-law more than my career. I was always the baby girl of the family that had to be taken care of. But now that I’m graduating and starting a new job, the feeling of independence and the ability to make my own decisions is so freeing. I just want my family to be proud of me for who I am now.”

“I completely understand Rinki, trust me. I’ve been in your place before. I’m sure every girl has. But let me tell you, we are all so proud of you. Mummyji and Papaji are so proud to have a daughter like you. Raman and Romi may tease and annoy you as much as they like, but they are just as proud of you, if not more.” Ishita drew in Rinki for a hug.

“Thank you bhabhi,” Rinki said, returning the hug.

“Ab chalo, tum aaram se so jao. Kal bahot bada din hai, na? So you need your rest.” 

“Yes bhabhi. Good night.”

Rinki proceeded to change and brush her teeth while Ishita made her way to Ruhi’s bedroom. She must be waiting for her bedtime story. At just that moment, her cell phone rang from her bedroom. She rushed to see who it was. The screen read, Dr. Batra. She had to take the call. It was probably important.

“Behri ho gayi kya? Phone uthao na! Kab se baje jaa raha hai,” Raman quipped as he strode in. 

“Raman, Dr. Batra ka phone hain. Lamba chal sakta hai. Aap jaa ke Ruhi ko sula do na, please? Thank you.” Ishita received her call and made herself comfortable in the balcony before Raman could answer. Looks like he was on bedtime duty today.

Ruhi’s bedroom

“That night, the entire kingdom celebrated the princess’s return by launching hundreds of lanterns -- the lights that had guided her home. The End.” Raman closed Ruhi’s Disney Rapunzel picture book and pulled the covers over her. “Now go to sleep Ruhi. Close your eyes.”

“Papa, one more story. Pleaseeee?”

“No Ruhi, your puppy dog eyes don’t work on me. It’s time for bed,” Raman chuckled.

“Papa, aap kitni acchi story sunate hai. One more story please.” 

“No Ruhi. Ek baar bola na. Go to sleep.”

As bummed out as she was for not being able to listen to another story, Ruhi was pleasantly surprised at how much time Raman had begun spending with her. Not that she was complaining. She loved every moment she got with him. Raman too enjoyed every moment he got to spend with Ruhi. He had been a fool to try avoiding her. It was no use. His daughter’s charm and innocence could melt anyone, let alone him. He was far from perfect in dealing with her, but he gave it his best efforts. He always will. 

As Raman got up from Ruhi’s bed and turned to leave, she suddenly grabbed his wrist and stopped him. “Papa, aap mujhse gussa to nahi hai na?” she asked.

“Nahi beta, bilkul nahi.” Raman gently sat down on the bed and took his daughter into his arms. He knew why she was asking that. He had turned away from her many-a-times. The refusal to read another story might sound like he was turning away again. 

“Beta, Papa was never angry with you. I was angry with myself. But I promise now that I will never stay away from you or keep you away from me. Ok?”

“Okay papa!” Ruhi’s hold on Raman tightened with elation.

“But right now, it’s getting late, and you really have to go to sleep. Come on.”

Ruhi climbed under her covers and squeezed her eyes shut to show her father that she was asleep. Raman quietly laughed as he stood up and turned off the light. And he internally promised himself never to distance himself from his daughter ever again. He promised to never let her long for a parent’s love ever.

When he returned to his bedroom, Ishita was still on the phone with Dr. Batra on the balcony. He grabbed the remote and tuned into the latest cricket highlights. Ishita hung up the phone and walked back into the bedroom a few minutes later. She was surprised to see Raman so soon.

“Aap aa gaye? Ruhi itni jaldi so gayi? Roz to uske kitne nakhre hote hain. Aadha ghanta lag jaata hai use sulaane mein.”

“Woh isiliye kyunki tumhe use sulaana nahi aata. Mere saath to koi nakhre nahi karti.”

“Excuse me? Mujhe use sulaana nahi aata?” Ishita put her hands on her hips. 

“Jee haan, sahi suna tumne. Waise bhi, Ruhi tumse zyada mujh se pyaar karti hain. To meri baat maan kar jaldi so gayi.”

He had barely finished his sentence when a pillow came flying in his face. 

“Madrasan! Pagal ho gayi hai kya?! Pati ko koi aise maarta hai kya?”

“Agar pati aisa ho to aise hi maarte hain.” She threw another pillow at him.

“Ruk ja tu. Ab teri khair nahi.”

Raman turned off the TV. He was ready for a fight. He grabbed as many pillows as he could and threw them one after another at Ishita, who returned his every blow. At one point, Ishita ran out of pillows so she stretched forward over the bed to grab one from Raman. Unfortunately, she slipped over the edge of the blanket and fell smack in the middle of the bed. In the process, Raman too lost his balance falling on top of her. They were so close now, they could feel each other’s breaths. Their breathing quickened and hearts pounded simultaneously. It was a dangerous situation. 

Before the proximity to his wife could undo him, Raman took charge of the situation. He quickly got up and brushed himself off, allowing Ishita to stand up too. 

“Kya tum bhi… Itni raat ko yeh sab… pillow fights karni hai. So jao jaake. Kal Rinki ka graduation hai. Late huye to itni daant padegi ki… pucho mat,” he stammered.

Ishita didn’t even have the courage to reply. She simply fiddled with her bedding on her couch while she lied down trying to get over what just happened. Not the fact that her husband just fell on top of her on the bed, but the fact that her body betrayed her and gave a reaction she didn’t expect.

Raman was in the same boat. The way his body reacted to that moment of closeness was hard to deal with. But even harder would be dealing with the ensuing awkwardness between them. He had to do something.

“Waise, tumne kabhi asli graduation to nahi dekha hoga na? Kal dekhne ko milega tumhe.”

“Kya matlab?” Ishita sat up and turned her head towards Raman. 

“Obviously. Ab tumne kahan asli degree li hai. Nakli doctor ki -- nahi, doctor nahi dentist. Nakli dentist ke liye graduation thodi hoti hai?”

“Abhi bhi pillow hai mere paas. Maaru?” Ishita grabbed the pillow behind her in a threatening gesture. “Maine graduate kiya hain. Woh bhi top of my class. Aap pata nahi kaise marks se paas huye the,” she teased.

“Oh hello?! I was in the top 5% of my graduating class! And I had so many job offers lined up for me then. Just like Rinki has right now.” 

Raman recalled how many companies were eager to hire him. How Ashok had personally interviewed him and had lunch with him to explain the salary and benefits he was offering. His mind deceived him and soon enough he was remembering how Ashok had given the same attention to Shagun later on. That man really knew how to get what he wanted, didn’t he? Don’t dwell on the past, Raman. What’s gone is gone. And for once, Raman listened to his inner voice.

“But keeping all jokes apart,” he said, “I’m so excited for Rinki’s graduation tomorrow. I remember my graduation. I have so many memories of it. Do you know, after graduating my friends and I ditched the after-party and went for our own personal party, if you know what I mean.” 

“My graduation was also very memorable,” Ishita replied. “Of course, we weren’t as creative as you when it came to the after-party. We had an elaborate 5-star dinner for celebration. Although later that night, we went for ice cream though. Just me and Subbu with…” 

No sooner had his name slipped from her lips did the color drain from her face. She was married and a mother now. Yet, even the mention of that man still affected her. And she hated it. 

“Anyway, enough chit chat. Go to sleep now.” Ishita quickly wrapped up the conversation and lied down to sleep. She turned her face away from Raman to hide the budding tears in her eyes. The mere mention of that man freshened all her wounds. She was mad. Mad at Subbu for what he did. Mad at herself for letting him affect her. Mad at the universe for taking away from her the precious gift of giving birth, a tragedy she was reminded of every time she looked at her scars from her surgery. She swallowed her tears and shut her eyes, trying to lull herself to sleep. 

Raman climbed into bed and turned off the bedside lamps. He hadn’t failed to notice how Ishita ended the conversation in haste at the mention of her ex. And it occurred to him for the first time how less he really knew about her. Yes, he knew her story, but he didn’t know her. Not the way she knew him. She had held his hand and been there for him when he was drunk out of his mind over his past. But he had never done anything to help her. He could only hope for an opportunity to somehow make her feel better. To lessen her ache. But truth be told, if such an opportunity were to present itself, would he know how to help her? 

Hey humnava mujhe apna bana le

Sookhi padi dil ki iss zameen ko bhiga de

Hmm..hoon akela, zara haath badha de

Kab se main dar dar phir raha

Musafir dil ko panaah de

Tu awaargi ko meri aaj thehra de

Ho sake toh thoda pyaar jataa de

Sookhi padi is dil ki zameen ko bhiga de

Murjhaayi si shaakh pe dil ki

Phool khilte hain kyun

Baat gulon ki zikr mehak ka

Acha lagta hai kyun

Un rango se tune milaya

Jinse kabhi main mil na paya

Dil karta hai tera shukriya

Phir se bahaare tu laa de

Dil ka soona banjar mehka de

Sukhi padi dil ki is zameen ko bhiga de

Hmm..hoon akela, zara haath badha de

Waise toh mausam guzre hain

Zindagi mein kayi

Par ab naa jaane kyun mujhe wo

Lag rahe hain haseen

Tere aane par jaana maine

Kahin na kahin zinda hoon main

Jeene laga hoon main ab yeh fizaayein

Chehre ko chhooti hawaayein

Inki tarah do kadam toh badha le

O..hoon akela, zara haath badha de

Sookhi padi dil ki iss zameen ko bhiga de.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G65vgZhmQ8g 

Rinki’s College Graduation Ceremony - Saturday, August 11th, 10:30 am

“Rinki Bhalla!” 

Her name was announced and Rinki marched forward across the stage. She could barely hear her own name though, owing to her family’s cheers and screams from the audience. She loved their enthusiasm but secretly wished they would dial it down. So much for wanting her entire family there. Nevertheless, as she accepted her degree from the dean of her college and turned towards the audience for a bow, she couldn’t have been more thrilled to see the pride in her family’s eyes.

After an elaborate photo session, the Bhallas and Iyers joined for a celebratory lunch in Rinki’s honor. To avoid any Punjabi vs South Indian drama, Ishita suggested a pan-Asian restaurant. Both families had the time of their lives, munching on their favorite foods and chatting away. A lot of time was spent fussing over Shravu, Ruhi, and Ananya as well, but to their mothers’ good fortune, the grandmothers took over for the day. Toshi and Madhu pampered and fed their grandchildren, occasionally getting into a disagreement. Mihika and Rinki bonded over their new jobs and newfound independence. Romi and Mihir discussed the latest happenings in their office, interlacing it with juicy gossip. Raman and Bala laughed over their woes of having the Iyer sisters as wives, occasionally teasing Mihir who would join the club soon. Ishita, Vandu, and Simi rejoiced over their children’s and husbands’ latest antics along with gossip from their society. Omprakash and Vishwa tried to fix a date for their next chess match in between conversations with the rest of their family. And the day passed in unmeasurable laughter and joy.

Edited by Aditi_MM - 3 years ago
Aditi_X thumbnail

Hello after a looooong time peeps! 😁

I hope you've liked my story so far. Do keep reading, liking, and posting comments. 😊❤️

Fair warning: I will be gone for about 2-4 weeks now. I have final exams this month and entrance exams next month, so I've gotta buckle down. 😅 But fear not, I will be back soon and as compensation, I will post 2-3 parts at once. 

I assure you, I am in no mood to abandon the story. I've planned out the entire plot line up to and including the epilogue. It might take a while, but I promise you a happy ending! 

Till then, stay happy and stay safe! Love you guys!! 🤗

gitakumar thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Thanks heaps for the lovely update. Enjoyed every bit of it. All the best for exams n will wait for next update. Would love to read bonding of Raman n ishita 

santhu13 thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail

Hey dear.. I have read all parts in one go... such a lovely story.. keeping original story intact u have narrated the sub plots very well.. one thing that I loved d most inthis story is POSITIVITY.. keeping the worst pasts at low showing glowing present is superb.. I always loved YHM intial episodes till mihir mihika engagement after that whatever creeepy plots hav come are pathetic and we lost YHM essence.. So please I request u to keep the story positive like always u do and give us d YHM which we always missed.. once again thank u for so long updates and kudos to ur woderful creation

Divyalingaraju thumbnail

A very interesting update please update next part soon to know what happens next 

omsai24 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

Beautiful update

Bhalla house was in cheerful mood all were happy ruhi asked if raman and romi became friends again haha ishita got them in trouble toshiji handled that toshiji and ishita scene was nice raman heard their talk he realised what ishita have done for him and how ishru have changed his life toshiji made him understand but ishra are so stubborn they think they will never fall in love with each other ishra scene was lovely raman want to lesson Ishitas pain but don't know how rinkys graduation scene was nice family moment was nice 

Best of luck for ur exams will be waiting for ur come back

RitikaGarg8 thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail

SOOO Glad to hear that!!! Loved this chapter and can't wait to see how you plan to bring Raman and Ishita closer!! Best of luck for your exams and keenly waiting for your next update!! ❤️❤️

Pks20 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2

Great update... enjoying it the story.. simple but heartwarming.

The relationships developing not only Ishra but between other family members as well. 

Look forward to the 2-3 part update!

Good luck with your exams 

p

anithams thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Awesome update. waiting for your next. by the way good luck to all your exams. come out with flying colors. 

Aditi_X thumbnail
Posted: 2 years ago

Part 22

Bhalla/Iyer Residence - Monday, August 12th, 6 am

The alarm rang and Ishita was startled awake. But unlike every day, when she got up with a spring in her step ready to seize the day, today she could barely lift her legs off the couch. Her body ached all over; her head was heavier than a bag of rocks; her skin was burning up; and she was ready to throw up at any minute. But she had responsibilities: Ruhi, her patients, her family. She couldn’t afford to miss a day. With every ounce of strength she could muster, she turned off the alarm as quickly as possible and stood up. Unfortunately, she wasn’t quick enough and ended up waking Raman who was fast asleep nearby on the bed.

“Madrasan, turn off the damn alarm! You might have fun waking up at the crack of dawn, but I’m no rooster! Mujhe meri neend bahot pyari hai!” Raman exclaimed as he turned over covering his ears with pillows. 

Ishita didn’t even find any energy to reply. She simply made effortful steps towards the bathroom. Her gait was much slower than usual. All these changes did not go unnoticed by Raman. He was perplexed. This woman was the strongest, most persistent woman he had known but today she wouldn’t even reply to his taunt. And it bothered him. He loved the little fights they got into. They bickered on anything and everything. They were nowhere near a perfect couple, but even so, every interaction with his wife made him feel alive. 

“Ishita, kya hua tumhe?” Raman asked, genuinely concerned. 

He got up from his bed but before he could even reach his wife, Ishita lost her sense of balance as a bout of dizziness overcame her. She went hurtling towards the floor, causing Raman to dive forward. Ishita collapsed in her husband’s arms. 

“Ishita! Ishita! Utho! Kya hua tumhe?!” Raman gently patted Ishita’s cheeks in vain attempts to wake her. He lifted her up bridal style and laid her down on the bed. The noise had drawn his parents to his room, who were knocking at his door. 

“Raman puttar? Ki hoya? Sab theek hai?” Toshi’s voice boomed. Raman was confident that she must have awakened the rest of the house. He quickly opened the door with one hand as his other hand opened the dial pad on his phone. 

“Maa, Ishita ki tabiyat theek nahi hain. Uska shareer garam hai aur woh abhi abhi behosh ho gayi. Main doctor ko phone kar raha hoon.”

Toshi sat beside Ishita and lovingly ran her hand over her head. “Hey Mata rani, abhi abhi to hamare ghar mein sab theek ho raha tha. Aur ab Ishita ki tabiyat ko kya ho gaya? Meri bacchi ki raksha karna Mata rani!” Toshi, as always, was filled with worry. And for her, Mata rani was the only hope.

Fortunately, Raman was able to get a hold of the urgent care doctor on call at Batra Medical Center and convinced her to do a house call. The fact that Ishita was her fellow colleague helped in convincing her to make special accommodations. Of course, the extra payment and donations that Raman promised to the Batra Medical Center did more to help. The check up was happening now in Ishita and Raman’s bedroom. Madhu and Mihika stayed inside with Ishita, while Vishwa, Raman, and Omprakash waited outside in the living room, and Toshi prepared tea and coffee for everyone in the kitchen. The doctor had given Raman the first choice to accompany Ishita as he was her husband, but one exchange of looks between them told both of them that it wasn’t a good idea. Neither of them were at that level of comfort. At least not yet. As of now, Ishita would be most comfortable with her mother and sister.

“Ishita, how long have you been having these symptoms? Nausea, fever, body aches, stomach ache, and headache?” the doctor asked in the middle of her exam. 

“I felt some nausea and stomach ache yesterday evening, but I didn’t pay attention to it. I thought getting a good night’s rest would solve the problem.”

Mihika and Madhu exchanged glances. This was so typical of their Ishu. Hiding her pain, be it physical or emotional, was her stamp card. She always kept herself together, being strong for her family, at her own expense. Especially, after her surgery and breakup with Subbu. 

“Did you have anything weird to eat yesterday? Something that you don’t normally eat?” the doctor continued.

“We all went to a restaurant yesterday for lunch. We were celebrating my sister-in-law’s graduation.”

“That makes sense. Looking at your symptoms and their progression, it looks like you have food poisoning. I suggest that you rest for 3-4 days. Drink plenty of fluids and electrolytes. You can take some over-the-counter antiemetics for vomiting and nausea, and acetaminophen or ibuprofen for the pain and fever. If your symptoms don’t get better in the next two or three days then come into the urgent care facility and we can do further testing to isolate the source of your infection. But right now, I don’t want to prescribe any antibiotics or antiparasitics because your symptoms are not too severe.”

“Yes doctor.”

“I’ll go outside and update the rest of your family.”

Mihika escorted the doctor outside, while Madhu began to give her daughter a sound scolding. “Ishu, agar tumhe kal raat ko stomach pain ho raha tha, to tumne kuch bola kyu nahi?”

“Amma. aisa kuch nahi tha. Mujhe laga ki thoda sa upset stomach hai. Kuch aaram ke baad thik ho jaayega. Aur ab bhi mujhe kuch nahi hua hain. Maamuli sa infection hai. I’ll be fine.”

“Aiyyo, tumne aaj tak meri baat nahi suni. Tumhe to ab tumhare husband aur tumhari daughter hi thik karenge.”

“Amma…”

Before Ishita could reply, the rest of her family had arrived inside. 

“Kyun madrasan, main bola tha na? Itna thusna accha nahi hai tumhare liye. Ab bhugto…” Raman teased.

“Oye! Tujhe ab bhi use pareshan karna hai khotiye?” Toshi bellowed. “Tujhe dikh nahi raha ki bichaari bimar hai?”

“Dikhta hai maa. Mai to bas mazaak kar raha tha.” He turned his attention to Ishita. “But all jokes apart, Madrasan, ab tumhe pura hafta aaram karna hai. Koi kaam nahi. Get that?” 

“Aise kaise aaram karun Raman? Ruhi ka school hai, aapko office jaana hai, mujhe clinic jaana hai, ghar ka kitna kaam hai, aur Mummyji ko bhi meri help chahiye hogi. Main aaram nahi kar sakti.”

“Ishu, Raman sahi keh raha hai,” Vishwa agreed. “Kabhi to khud ka dhyaan rakha karo.”

“Maine bhi use yehi kaha,” Madhu interjected. “Par hamari kabhi suni hai isne?”

“Amma, Appa, please meri chinta mat kijiye. I’m fine.”

“No Ishita, you’re not fine.” Raman’s voice was stern and brokered no argument. He walked forward and sat at the foot of the bed. “You collapsed in my arms this morning. You’re not fine. Tumhe Ruhi ki aur is parivaar ki dekhbhal karni hai, right? Aur tumhare patients ko attend karna hai, right?” 

Ishita gave a simple nod.

“To phir uske liye tumhe khud thik hona padega. Aur thik hone ka sabse fast tareeka hai ki tum aaram karo. Samajh mein aaya? Ruhi ki puri zimmedari main khud puri karunga iss hafte. Tumhare clinic mein call karke tumhare medical leave ki baat bhi main kar dunga. Aur ghar ki sabhi zimmedariyon ke liye bhi bahot saare log hain. So don’t worry about any of that. Do you understand that?”

“Yes.”

“To poora hafta sirf aaram karogi tum, thik hai?”

“Thik hai baba. Sirf aaram.”

“Good. Now lie down and go to sleep. I’ll get Ruhi ready for school.”

Vishwa smiled at his wife. They could try all they wanted but today was the first time someone got through to their daughter. Ishita could go to any lengths for her loved ones, but getting her to take her own health seriously was a task for her parents and sisters. A task that Raman, her husband, got accomplished in no time on the first try.

Ishita lied down and pulled the covers over herself. Going to sleep wasn’t a hard job considering how exhausted she was. Meanwhile, Raman signalled everyone to leave the bedroom. Once in the living room, he made sure to reiterate that Ishita be given complete rest. Romi and Rinki were awake then too.

“Jahan tak main use jaanta hoon, woh kuch na kuch kaam chalu kar dengi. Par use koi kaam mat karne dena. Jitna zyada rest karengi utna behtar hai,” he explained.

“Wow jeeju, how sweet!” Mihika teased. “Aap ko Akka ka kitna khayal hai. Dekh kar accha laga.”

“Khayal vayal kuch nahi hai, Mihika. Agar tumhari Akka ki tabiyat phirse kharab ho gayi to hum par hi musibat aayegi. Doctor bulao, hospital le jaao, dawai laao, vagera vagera.” Raman inadvertently began rebuilding the wall around his heart. He hated showing his vulnerability. 

“Haa haa, aapko kahan Akka ka khayal hai? Tabhi toh apne itni der tak phone par argument karke aur itna bada donation dekar doctor ko ghar bulaya, Akka ko strict bedrest diya, aur unki saari zimmedariyaan khud le li,” Mihika noted with unmistakable sarcasm. Romi and Rinki sniggered in the background. 

“Tum dono ko badi hasi aa rahi hai?” Raman scolded. “Rinki, aaj tere job ka pehla din hai na? Aur Romi, tujhe office nahin jaana? Chup chaap jaake taiyyar ho jao dono. Aur Mihika, tumhe bhi aur koi kaam nahin hai meri taang kichne ke alawa?”

“Haina jeeju, par aapki taang khichne mein zyada mazaa aata hain,” Mihika chuckled. She made a quick escape to her flat before Raman could retort. 

“Maa, main Ruhi ko taiyyar kar deta hoon.” Toshi wondered whether she should offer a helping hand, but she dared not impose on father-daughter bonding time. So what if Ruhi had to go to school with uneven braids for a couple days?

While Raman went to Ruhi’s room, Madhu and Vishwa reluctantly left for their home across the hall. Toshi and Omprakash read their worry correctly. 

“Oye madrasan, tu chinta na kar. Meri bahu ka hum sab pura khayal rakhenge. Tera jab bhi man ho tab aa jaana dekhne,” Toshi said. 

“Thank you Punjaban.” 

At that moment, Madhu did something she never thought she would do. She hugged Toshi. It took her a while to realize, but her daughter had been truly blessed. Raman and Toshi were a thousand times better than Subbu and Devyani. Ishita now had a husband and mother-in-law who truly cared for her, rather than those who simply pretended to. There were no false pretences.

7:30 am

“Uniform pehen liya Ruhi?” Raman asked from outside the bathroom door. Ruhi was getting into the habit of getting dressed herself, but she still needed some guidance. 

“Yes papa.” Ruhi stepped outside and as expected, Raman had to help her straighten her shirt and dress. “Come on, tumhare baal banate hain aur phir school bag pack karte hain.”

Raman sat on the edge of Ruhi’s bed and sat Ruhi down in front of him in a position to facilitate hair styling. This was going to be tough. He started combing her hair and made a partition.

“Nahi papa! Ishimaa nose se partition karti hain.”

“Accha? Thik hai. Ruko do minute.”

Raman started over. It took about three more tries to get it right, but after a long ordeal, Ruhi’s hair was done. She wasn’t satisfied with it, but Raman promised he’d practice and get better at it. But to give credit where credit is due, Raman had already come a long way. There was a time when he did not know how to interact with his daughter, but now, he didn’t need to think twice. Truth be told, he was no expert, but he was getting better every day. Soon enough, his bond with his daughter would be stronger than ever.

“Par aapne mujhe aaj ready kyun kiya Papa? Aap acchi choti nahi banate. Mumma hi best choti banati hain.”

“Beta, actually Ishimaa ki tabiyat thik nahi hai. Unke head aur stomach mein pain hai, aur unhe vomiting bhi ho rahi hai. Isiliye woh pura week aaram karengi.”

“Ishimaa thik to ho jaayengi na?” The thought of being separated from her mother frightened the little girl like nothing else. Raman drew his daughter closer and comforted her.

“Haan beta, mumma bilkul thik ho jaayengi. Aap uski chinta mat karo. Lekin yeh pura week unhe bilkul aaram karna hain. To agar aapko koi bhi kaam ho ya koi bhi baat karni ho, to aap papa ke paas aana, ok?”

“Ok papa.”

“Ab chalo, aap ke books pack karte hain aur phir breakfast karte hain. Phir daadu aapko school chod denge.”

Raman helped Ruhi pack her bag and served her breakfast. While she ate in the company of her grandparents, Raman packed Ruhi’s lunch. A double grilled cheese sandwich with apple slices. Ishita would not approve of the double cheese, but Raman went with it anyway. A kindergartener could be spoiled once in a while. Ruhi left for school with her grandfather after a quick goodbye to Ishita. Ruhi made sure to blow many flying kisses to Ishimaa and promised they would make her feel better (which they definitely did). Raman bid his daughter goodbye with a kiss on the forehead before he went to get ready himself.

Raman’s office - 12:40 pm

Raman placed his laptop bag onto his desk and took a seat on his chair. He had just returned from a string of meetings and conference calls related to the latest contract they had bagged. They were making good headway on their project, but satisfying their clients and investors was never easy. 

“Sir, aapke ghar se khaane ka dibba aaya hai.” The office peon entered Raman’s office and placed the lunch box on his desk at his signal. As the peon left, Mihir and Romi entered for lunch. 

They all gathered on the sofa around the coffee table in Raman’s office and opened the lunch box. Today it was filled with vegetarian dishes: roti, aloo matar (potato and peas curry), dal, and rice.

“Bhai, maine suna bhabhi ki tabiyat kharab ho gayi hai. Is she okay?” Mihir asked.

“Yeah she will be fine. She got food poisoning from yesterday’s lunch. The doctor has advised complete rest for a week.”

Raman took his first bite of roti and aloo matar, and instant realization hit him. Ishita had made the aloo matar. He could recognize that taste anywhere. That meant she wasn’t resting. “Madrasan…” he sighed.

“Kya hua bhai?” Romi asked.

“Yeh sabzi teri bhabhi ne banayi hain.”

“Toh?”

“Toh iska matlab, woh kaam kar rahi hai, aaram nahi.” He set down his plate and got up from his seat. “Abhi ghar jaake uski khabar leta hoon.”

“Really bhai? Aapko ek bite mein bhabhi ke haath ka swaad pata chal gaya? Aur agar aapko unhe aaram karne ko bolna hai, to aap phone bhi kar sakte hain. Ghar jaane ki kya zarurat hain?” Mihir pried. He had talked to Mihika this morning and she had vividly mentioned Raman’s care for Ishita. There was no denying that Raman felt for Ishita. There was no saying how deep or how clear those feelings were but they were there.

“Aaj subah Mihika, aur ab tu. Tum dono ki ek din itni class lunga main, dekhna. Main ghar isiliye jaa raha hoon, kyunki mujhe us Madrasan pe bharosa nahi hain. Maine bola tha aaram karna, par madam sunti thodi hai kisiki? Jhansi ki rani…”

Raman picked up his bag, keys, and other things and made a beeline for the exit, leaving Mihir and Romi with his share of food as well. 

“Ishita! Ishita!” Raman yelled as she threw his bag on the couch of his living room. 

Toshi was so startled that she almost dropped the stack of clothes that she was organizing in her cupboard. What was Raman doing at home in the middle of the day?

“Raman puttar? Tu is waqt ghar par kya kar raha hai?” she asked on her way to the living room. “Aur itna chilla kyun raha hai? Ishita aaram kar rahi hai.”

“Woh koi aaram nahi kar rahi hai. Aaj ke lunch ki sabzi usi ne banayi hain na?”

“Tujhe kaise pata?”

“Dekha? I knew it.”

Raman headed straight for their bedroom to give his wife a sound scolding. She could have her way whenever she wanted, but now was no time to jeopardize her own health. Toshi followed suit calling out to her son, hoping that he wouldn’t scold Ishita more than necessary. His anger had certainly mellowed down, but there was still no saying how he would react. 

“Raman, pehle meri baat to sun!” Toshi’s calls fell on deaf ears.

Raman abruptly opened the door to his bedroom and saw Ishita sitting upright on the bed working on her laptop. Just as he had suspected. Not resting.

“Kyun madam? Aapko ek baar bolne par dimaag mein baat nahi ghusti kya? Sabne tumhe aaram karne ko bola tha na?” Raman crossed his arms and glared his disapproval at his wife. 

“Raman? Aap yahan? Is waqt?” Ishita was surprised to see him. 

“Na chahte huye bhi aana pada. Tum kisi ki sunti kahan ho? Aaram karne ko bolo to tum uska ulta matlab nikalti ho. Pehle kitchen ka kaam karti ho, phir yahan baithe laptop pe kaam karti ho.”

“Kitchen mein kaisa kaam kiya maine? Aisa kuch nahi hai. Aur main baithe baithe bore ho gayi thi isiliye main apne patient notes aur charts update kar rahi thi. That’s it.”

“Oh really? Tumne aaj ki sabzi nahi banayi kya?”

Ishita’s jaw dropped. How could he have possibly found that out?

“Haan… maine banayi thi… par…”

“Par kya? Ab ho gayi na bolti band?”

“Raman! Maine aisa bhi koi kaam nahi kiya. Sabzi already kati hui thi. Neelu aur Mummyji busy the aur main bahar tehel rahi thi. Isiliye maine sabzi bana li. Lekin uske baad aur kuch nahi kiya. Mummyji ne hi mujhe andar bhej diya. Puch lo aap khud.”

“Haa Raman, Ishita ne sirf thodi si sabzi banayi, aur uske baad maine hi use daant ke andar bhej diya,” Toshi concurred. 

“You know what? I don’t trust you. Is pure hafte main ghar se kaam karunga. Tumhara kya bharosa, kabhi bhi uth ke aur kaam karne lagogi. Phir agar bimar padogi to mujhe aur musibat.”

Raman took off his coat and made himself comfortable. Toshi rolled her eyes and left the room. There was no reasoning with either her son or daughter-in-law. They were the only people who could show their care and concern through arguments. She would fare better to stay away from their “fights.”

“Pura hafta ghar pe rahenge aap? Mujhpe nazar rakhne ke liye? Aapki koi meetings nahi hai? Aur staff ko oversee nahi karna?” Ishita tried her best to get him off her back.

“Very clever. Meri saari meetings main shaam ko reschedule kar raha hoon. Waise jab main bahar jaaunga tab Ruhi hogi tum par nazar rakhne ke liye. Use tum kaise naa bolti ho woh main bhi dekhta hoon.”

“Very bad Raman. You’re going to use your daughter as a spy? Oh God Murugan.”

“You’ve got that wrong Madrasan. My daughter isn’t going to be a spy technically, because she’s not going to be discreet. Now shut up, lie down, and rest. Ek minute? Tumne khana khaya?”

“Yes. Lagbhag ek ghante pehle lunch kiya maine.”

“Good. Ab chup chaap so jao.”

While Raman set up his laptop on his desk to begin working, Ishita lied down and pulled the covers over her. She had never met a man like her husband. He was so adamant at getting her to rest, but god forbid if he could say it sweetly. She rolled her eyes and gave out a slight chuckle. Luckily Raman had his earphones in so he didn’t hear. But Ishita couldn’t help but smile at Raman’s way of caring. He was truly an enigma. 

Bhalla House - Tuesday, August 13th, 4:30 pm

“How are you feeling now Ishu?” Bala asked. He and Vandu had come along to see Ishita after hearing of her ill health. 

“I’m much better now Jeeju. Kuch dinon mein bilkul thik ho jaaungi.”

Vandu took a seat on the edge of Ishita’s bed while Bala drew a chair from the nearby desk. 

“Waise Ishu,” Vandu began, “Humne suna hai ki tumhara pati tumhara bada khayal rakh raha hai aaj kal. Usne to office se bhi chutthi li hai, aur tumhari saari zimmedariyaan bhi woh nibha raha hain. Ruhi ko taiyyar karna aur uska lunch pack karna and everything, huh?”

“Aisa kuch nahi hai Akka. Woh to mujhse kuch din nahi hoga to Raman Ruhi ko sambhal rahe hain. Aur khayal kam, woh mujhpe nazar zyada rakh rahe hain. Ab main koi bacchi hoon kya jo unhe mujh par aise nazar rakhna pade?”

“Nahi Ishu, tum kuch bhi bolo, but he really is sweet to do so much. Tumhe zara sa bhi nahi lagta?” Vandu prodded. 

Ishita sighed. “Ok fine. It is nice of him to do this. Lekin sirf sweet cheezein karne se kya fayda? Zubaan par bhi toh thodi si sweetness honi chahiye na? Par nahi. Raman ko 24 ghante sirf kud kud karni hoti hain. Kud kud kumar…” Ishita crossed her arms and pouted. Despite their best efforts, Vandu and Bala could not hold back their laughter, upsetting Ishita further.

Bala was particularly happy. Ishita and Mihika were both like sisters to him, but he held special concern for Ishita after what his own brother did to her. He recalled how nonchalant Subbu was after Ishita had recovered from life threatening abdominal bleeding due to her tumors; his main point of concern was whether Ishita could carry a child and whether they could get married. But the man she had married now put her well-being above all else. Even after a bout of ordinary food poisoning, Raman had reorganized his entire schedule to make sure Ishita got the rest she needed. Now that’s what you call an upgrade. 

Just then, a knock on the door interrupted them. It was Madhu and Vishwa. 

“Amma! Appa! Ayiye na! Come, come!” Ishita gestured. She might dislike being sedentary and unproductive, but she sure was enjoying the attention she was getting.

Vandu and Ishita made room for Amma and Appa to sit on the bed. 

“Ishu, ab tumhari tabiyat kaisi hai kanna?” Madhu inquired. 

“Your mother has been worried sick, Ishu,” Vishwa commented.

“I’m fine, Amma. Really. Itna stress mat lijiye,” Ishita replied. 

“Amma, you really don’t need to worry for Ishu.” Vandu rubbed her mother’s arm as a gesture of comfort. She had a habit of worrying, something which she passed on to both her daughters. “Yahan uska acche se khayal rakha jaa raha hain.”

“But Vandu, you know your sister, don’t you? She doesn’t take care of herself. How can I not worry?”

“Because now she has Raman who will take care of her even if she doesn’t,” Bala interjected. “Amma, you really need to stop worrying, or else even you’ll get sick.”

Intellectually, Madhu knew that Raman was taking good care of Ishu. But who could pacify a mother’s heart? No matter how old the child got, a mother’s heart always beat for her children. 

Just then, Raman entered the room, returning from a meeting at his company’s plant site. 

“Are wah! Sab yahin pe ikkattha huye hain?”

“Raman, ab tumhi Amma ko samjhao. Woh Ishita ki bahot chinta kar rahi hain,” Bala requested. 

Raman kneeled beside his mother-in-law and put a hand on her shoulder. 

“Amma, aap Jhansi ki Rani ke liye chinta kar rahe ho? Kuch dinon mein yeh bilkul pehle jaisi ho jaayegi aur phirse mera jeena haram karne lagegi, dekhna.”

“Maine aapka jeena haram kiya hai?!” Ishita exclaimed.

“Aur nahi to kya? Mujh bichare mard ke gale tum jaisi aurat jo pad gayi hain.”

Ishita grabbed the pillow beside him and smacked him on his side. 

“Dekha, ise kya hoga? Tabiyat to uski kharab hogi jo uske saath rahega. Agar aapko chinta karni hi hai, to meri chinta kijiye.” 

Raman handed the pillow to Madhu as proof of his misery. His last comment caused an eruption of laughter from everyone except Ishita.

“Aap sab log has rahe hain? Aap meri side hai ya unki?” Ishita pouted.

“Sorry Ishu… par tumhara… husband itna… funny hai… to hum kya kare?” Vandu managed to say between bouts of laughter. 

Even so, a smile crept up on Ishita’s face seeing her parents laugh. Her health was a sensitive topic, especially after her surgery last year, so it was natural that her mother be so worried. But Raman had managed to ease the tension so effortlessly. She couldn’t tell whether he was deliberately trying to make everyone laugh or if he was just being himself. Or both. Regardless, she was pleasantly surprised, and impressed, to see this side of her husband. 

The rest of the week passed in much the same way. Ishita was hardly allowed to do anything, which meant she had nothing to do but rest. As much as she had resisted it initially, the week of rest that she got was very beneficial. The last year had been so eventful. Her body had endured very high levels of stress, from her surgery to her breakup to Ruhi’s adoption trial and finally a marriage of compromise. As expected, her immune system had taken a hit, making her susceptible to infections like food poisoning. The week of strict rest allowed her body to recover in a way that she hadn’t been able to in the past year. 

In the meantime, Raman took on Ishita’s responsibilities along with his own related to Ruhi. He got her ready, packed her lunch, helped her with her homework, and everything else. And as much as Ruhi wanted her mother, she understood that Ishimaa needed complete rest for a few days. Truth be told, she had started growing fond of her father’s ways, especially the way he packed her lunch. For he usually added some chocolate or sweets or other junk food that Ishimaa wouldn’t allow. It was his way of showing love. Ishita found out soon enough and reprimanded Raman about it. So he changed it up a bit. Instead of adding junk food, Raman made a habit to write a motivational note to Ruhi in her lunch box. The notes ranged from encouragement to compassion to empathy. If he couldn’t think of anything, he simply wrote, “Mumma and Papa love you Ruhi” with a giant heart. He made sure to continue this for as long as possible. 

He also made sure to take care of his wife simultaneously. He turned off Ishita’s alarm every single day and hid her phone in case she had set an alarm there too. She was as stubborn as he was, which made it easy to anticipate it all. He had made sure that nobody in the house let her work for a week. He had practically frightened Neelu, saying he would fire her if he ever caught Ishita in the kitchen with her. She was to send her back to her room no matter what. Poor Neelu had a spike in blood pressure every time Ishita came for as much as a drink of water or a bite of food. And when Raman wasn’t around, Ruhi was sure to fulfill his absence. She made sure Ishita stayed in bed, often engaging her in board games when necessary and occasionally using extraordinary measures such as emotional blackmail.