colossial2015 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 3 years ago

Originally posted by: Maroonporsche

Let me remind everyone

Dear Zindagi was an instance Katrina was dropped for Alia

Saaya was suppose to star Katrina and she was dropped for Tara Sharma

Maybe the issue is Katrina 😆

Katrina would not suit the role in these two movies. I do not blame the director and producer.

Maroonporsche thumbnail

Originally posted by: colossial2015

Katrina would not suit the role in these two movies. I do not blame the director and producer.

My gist is this type of casting and changing casting happens all the time. Fair or unfair 

Originally posted by: rkisnothot

That's exactly what the debate is about. All of this started over jealousy that Alia gets her pick of movies. It was specifically related to her and later expanded to others.

Alia is emblematic of all things wrong with nepotism and cronyism in bollywood no matter how you roll the dice. It only makes sense that the debate revolves around her. There's a reason so many people, even the ones who like her, admit that. One can argue that you're defending nepotism because you're a hardcore Alia fan and have blinders on. That's the quality of "debate" you are evoking if you run the other side out with juvenile "jealousy" tags.

Who is Karan Johar actively working against? Just spouting off things without proof amounts to nothing.

If you're talking about something like Dear Zindagi where the director initially wanted another actress, the director herself chose to accept Karan's terms. She always had the option to leave the table and go to some other financier who would let her hire another actress. She decided to do business with Karan because the terms were favorable to her if she compromised on her casting. That's how capitalism works. 

No one is asking them to invest in outsiders. You are refuting an argument no one presented here but yourself.

People are POINTING OUT the obvious, criticizing it cuz they don't like what they see. You got a problem with that? Good luck shutting up millions of people.

When only one or two head honchos decide people's fate in the industry, the power is too centralized in the hands of those 4-5 people. If you wanna argue for that in the name of capitalism, people can also argue that it's veering towards monopoly/authoritarianism. 

I've seen you constantly asking people to bury their heads in sand if they don't like what they see. If it were up to you, you'd probably tape every single mouth that dares to complain about bollywood nepotism.😆Sorry dude, that's not happening. 

As long as there are artificially pumped up commercial broiler chicken like Alia trying to rule the roost, there will always be people calling out the farce.

kuchnaakahoo thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 6

TM, u support Kangana bcoz u are against nepotism. But the woman herself supports nepotism. She hired her own sister as her manager. So what are u trying to imply ?

HearMeRoar thumbnail

See, bringing down competition actively is extremely unethical. Perhaps illegal depending on tactics used. 

There's a difference between this and simple nepotism of favoring your own.

But the OP was equating mepotism to casteism and classism and all that. Highly doubt insiders would've given any more preference to a rich and high caste outsider. What I'm trying to say is: yes, insiders might be classist and casteist, but that is unlikely to be the reason they don't deal with outsiders. I think they simply want to keep all the money and acclaim.

P.S. Kangana goes on and on about talented outsiders. She clearly considers herself one. She should try working in regional cinema. She'll soon find she ain't all that. Just average. 😆 Except... in BW, she's the one-eyed man in the land of the blind.

Edited by HearMeRoar - 3 years ago

Originally posted by: HearMeRoar

See, bringing down competition actively is extremely unethical. Perhaps illegal depending on tactics used. 

There's a difference between this and simple nepotism of favoring your own.

But the OP was equating mepotism to casteism and classism and all that. Highly doubt insiders would've given any more preference to a rich and high caste outsider. What I'm trying to say is: yes, insiders might be classist and casteist, but that is unlikely to be the reason they don't deal with outsiders. I think they simply want to keep all the money and acclaim.

P.S. Kangana goes on and on about talented outsiders. She clearly considers herself one. She should try working in regional cinema. She'll soon find she ain't all that. Just average. 😆 Except... in BW, she's the one-eyed man in the land of the blind.

I was actually surprised you were on the opposite side on nepotism today cuz I’ve seen you speak against it many times before.😆

The problem with the toxic level of nepotism that exists in Bollywood is that it doesn’t happen in a vacuum. Killing off competition, publishing slanderous crap about others, isolation and many other vices go hand in hand with nepotism. It’s not the same as someone’s son taking over their family business of textiles or whatever.

These people are public figures and make money off their public image. Expecting people to lap up their obviously flawed system will blow up in their faces every time things go overboard... it’s just a matter of time.

HearMeRoar thumbnail

Originally posted by: Mo0nLighting

I was actually surprised you were on the opposite side on nepotism today cuz I’ve seen you speak against it many times before.😆

The problem with the toxic level of nepotism that exists in Bollywood is that it doesn’t happen in a vacuum. Killing off competition, publishing slanderous crap about others, isolation and many other vices go hand in hand with nepotism. It’s not the same as someone’s son taking over their family business of textiles or whatever.

These people are public figures and make money off their public image. Expecting people to lap up their obviously flawed system will blow up in their faces every time things go overboard... it’s just a matter of time.

I think I've been on 10 sides of the issue with four sides😆. Believe me, I have no fondness for Alia or the nepotism which got a strictly average actress like her to the top of the pile. But Kangana's rants make me want to pull my hair out. Every small gesture of support is interpreted as some major crime against humanity. Anyone who disagrees with her is immediately called foul names. Didn't she/her sister suggest Anurag Kashyap supported Tapsee because they were sleeping together? I made a thread in support of KJo because he does come across as a decent human in some ways; got called names in return. The OP on this thread basically said if you like nepo kids, you're a classist, casteist bigot. I mean, really!

My take is this: nepotism ain't going away. It isn't even wrong to some extent, not even if the star kid is not talented. It can even be good if it gets more cash investment in movies. Yeah, it costs outsiders some roles, but you can have low-budget movies with outsiders  which end up making less money. The sector will not grow and will not employ so many people. Eventually, this will result in less fresh talent being discovered.

Where it gets problematic is the point unethical tactics are employed like negative PR and booking up theatres. 

The key is balance. 

Edited by HearMeRoar - 3 years ago