Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Agni_Jytsona thumbnail
Love Couple India Season 2 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 9
Posted: 4 years ago

Originally posted by: Autumn_Rose

It’s said she ended up in hell due to her favoritism. 

No she didn't that is a later interpolation 

Agni_Jytsona thumbnail

And i would go ahead a say that i don't even think that drapaudi was married to all 5 but only to yudhishtra. And this marriage to all five is later interpolation the text is very inconsistent in this regard. There you have it that means ardi does not even exist so yeah this nonsensical theory of drapaudi loving arjun the most can put to rest once for all 

.Lonewalker. thumbnail

Originally posted by: Poorabhforever

And i would go ahead a say that i don't even think that drapaudi was married to all 5 but only to yudhishtra. And this marriage to all five is later interpolation the text is very inconsistent in this regard. There you have it that means ardi does not even exist so yeah this nonsensical theory of drapaudi loving arjun the most can put to rest once for all 

But there's no doubt that Arjun won her at the swayamvar, right? Then how can she possibly be married to only Yudhistir? Also, if she wasn't married to rest 4, the Upapandavas' existence becomes a question. If she was married to only Yudhistir, only Prativindhya's existence is possible. Shatanika, Sutasoma, Shrutsena & Shrutakarma couldn't be born, right? Also if Draupadi was only Yudhistir's wife, Bheem or Arjun wouldn't have reacted so vehemently during the dice hall incident. They would have felt bad, but they wouldn't deny their elder brother's right over his own wife to support their sister-in-law. They were enraged because Draupadi was their wife too. Draupadi's marriage to the all 5 brothers is such an integral part of the story, it being a later interpolation does not look that likely.

Also, the part where Draupadi is upset over Arjun Subhadra marriage & Subhadra had to go to her dressed as a cowherd girl to appease her....is it also a later interpolation? Or is this part present in the original story? If Draupadi wasn't married to Arjun, this incident couldn't be happening.

I am not arguing btw, just genuinely curious to hear your take on it.😊

Edited by .Lonewalker. - 4 years ago
.Lonewalker. thumbnail

Double post  sorry πŸ˜†

Edited by .Lonewalker. - 4 years ago
MaxMayfield thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

As per Jainism, Draupadi is amongst 16 Mahasati, which means she was loyal to every husband equally.  Her husbands may have had varying degrees of attraction/ love for her..but she was dutiful and loyal towards all five..I dont believe in the heaven/ hell story thing..again as per Jainism she went to Moksh, so did the Pandavas.

Agni_Jytsona thumbnail

Originally posted by: .Lonewalker.

But there's no doubt that Arjun won her at the swayamvar, right? Then how can she be possibly be married to only Yudhistir? Also, if she wasn't married to rest 4, the Upapandavas' existence becomes a question. If she was married to only Yudhistir, only Prativindhya's existence is possible. Shatanika, Sutasoma, Shrutsena & Shrutakarma couldn't be born, right? Also if Draupadi was only Yudhistir's wife, Bheem or Arjun wouldn't have reacted so vehemently during the dice hall incident. They would have felt bad, but they wouldn't deny their elder brother's right over his own wife to support their sister-in-law. They were enraged because Draupadi was their wife too. Draupadi's marriage to the all 5 brothers is such an integral part of the story, it being a later interpolation does not look that likely.

I am not arguing btw, just genuinely curious to hear your take on it.😊

Actually there are two instances one is the marriage itself where vyasa says that the prest left after yudhishtra drapaudi s marriage

Second is the dice hall where dhrirashtra intially gives only one boon to drapaudi and she specifically ask yudhishtra to be freed stating that she does not wants prativindhya to be called a slave s son 

https://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/m02/m02070.htm

Now at this point drapaudi didn't knew that dhrirashtra would offer another boon so she could have freed all her husbands because what is true for prativindhya is true for all her other sons too right ??

This makes me think she was probably married to only yudhishtra. Yes Arjun won the Swamyvaar but since yudhishtra was the eldest and would have inherited everything drapaudi s marriage to the king is more practical decision. A better political relationship  Hell if you ask me that entire Swamyvaar was big game plan to seek pandavas specially yudhishtra out and knowing yudhishtra he would have never actively tried to gain drapaudi s hand in marriage so the only way was to target/lure his brother so they lured arjuna instead this also explain drapaudi s silence in the potter house because everything was going as per they planned Arjuna won the Swamyvaar and later when the question who should be married first arose arjun himself ask yudhishtra to marry drapaudi both the parties played games because panchal+pandava alliance was mutual beneficial to both also to dwaraka reason why govind s entry in pandavas life happens right after panchali Swamyvaar this was well executed plan made by panchal+Govind with panchali being aware of everything and very much part of the plan. Plus this was nothing different political marriages were quite common in those days.  I think this married to five pandavas  interpolation thing arises from as you said the fact arjuna was the one who won the Swamyvaar 

I would also like to add that i don't think upandavas were drapaud s kids they were probably kids of other lesser known wives who drapaudi adopted as her own and somehow during translation this fact was lost and they came to be known as drapaudi s kids.  Plus this also gives us answer that why instead of prativindhya it was Abhimanyu who was the crown prince to strengthen the dwaraka-pandava relationship prativindhya s maternal home was probably a lesser known kingdom not a strong alliance as dwaraka

Plus all those drapaudi arjun scenes specially on subdhara s entry seems either to be misquoted/taken out of context or later interpolation because they are starkly opposite to the kind of person panchali appears to be throughout the epic. 

Edited by Poorabhforever - 4 years ago
Agni_Jytsona thumbnail

Infact the only heir that drapaudi had apart from prativindhya was her daughter suthanu who was married to krishna son satyabhama bhanu. And had as son named vajra who was krishna s heir mentioned in harivasma mb and vayu puran 

There is another story that vajra was actually anirudh s son who was pradymuna son but this is not possible because not only does vyasa specifically mention vajra as krishna s grandson but also mentiones pradymun being a participant in drapaudi s Swamyvaar so if pradymun was actually krishna s son how was he old enough to participate in drapaudi s Swamyvaar considering Krishna and arjun were of same age group 

.Lonewalker. thumbnail

Originally posted by: Poorabhforever

Actually there are two instances one is the marriage itself where vyasa says that the prest left after yudhishtra drapaudi s marriage

Second is the dice hall where dhrirashtra intially gives only one boon to drapaudi and she specifically ask yudhishtra to be freed stating that she does not wants prativindhya to be called a slave s son 

https://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/m02/m02070.htm

Now at this point drapaudi didn't knew that dhrirashtra would offer another boon so she could have freed all her husbands because what is true for prativindhya is true for all her other sons too right ??

This makes me think she was probably married to only yudhishtra. Yes Arjun won the Swamyvaar but since yudhishtra was the eldest and would have inherited everything drapaudi s marriage to the king is more practical decision. A better political relationship  Hell if you ask me that entire Swamyvaar was big game plan to seek pandavas specially yudhishtra out and knowing yudhishtra he would have never actively tried to gain drapaudi s hand in marriage so the only way was to target/lure his brother so they lured arjuna instead this also explain drapaudi s silence in the potter house because everything was going as per they planned Arjuna won the Swamyvaar and later when the question who should be married first arose arjun himself ask yudhishtra to marry drapaudi both the parties played games because panchal+pandava alliance was mutual beneficial to both also to dwaraka reason why govind s entry in pandavas life happens right after panchali Swamyvaar this was well executed plan made by panchal+Govind with panchali being aware of everything and very much part of the plan. Plus this was nothing different political marriages were quite common in those days.  I think this married to five pandavas  interpolation thing arises from as you said the fact arjuna was the one who won the Swamyvaar 

I would also like to add that i don't think upandavas were drapaud s kids they were probably kids of other lesser known wives who drapaudi adopted as her own and somehow during translation this fact was lost and they came to be known as drapaudi s kids.  Plus this also gives us answer that why instead of prativindhya it was Abhimanyu who was the crown prince to strengthen the dwaraka-pandava relationship prativindhya s maternal home was probably a lesser known kingdom not a strong alliance as dwaraka

Plus all those drapaudi arjun scenes specially on subdhara s entry seems either to be misquoted/taken out of context or later interpolation because they are starkly opposite to the kind of person panchali appears to be throughout the epic. 

@ Bold I have always wondered this too. I don't know about the original scripture (since I don't know how to read Sanskrit)...but in all these translations by later authors, it seems that Draupadi was supposed to have some deeper feelings for Arjun since  Arjun was the one who won her swayamvar. To the readers probably otherwise it would look odd. So these authors have also tried make a ship out of Arjun x Draupadi in places possible.

Few more questions. Please answer if you are interested in indulging me πŸ˜†

a) What about Vyasa meeting the Pandavas & telling them about Draupadi & how she will be their common wife. If Yudhistir was Draupadi's only husband, this also doesn't fit in.

And also Draupadi's boon from previous birth. Is this also a later addition?

b) All the Upapandavas not being Draupadi's biological kid, is it your assumption? Or there's any mention of their different bioligical mothers anywhere?

c) Abhimanyu was the crown prince? How? Prativindhya was Draupadi & Yudhistir's kid & also elder than Abhimanyu, no? How come Arjun's son is the crown prince? I always thought Prativindhya was supposed to be the crown prince, but since the whole clan got killed in Kurukshetra & only Abhimanyu's unborn child survived, the throne passed to Abhimanyu's son. 

CaptainSpark thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: Autumn_Rose

Yes it’s not.. but she loved Arjun most and I think it’s quite natural also because when she put Varmala on him, it’s like a Gandharv Vivah.,. She must have he all those first feelings for Arjuna. Plus Arjun had qualities to be a favorite.

He was born in Nakshatra of Purva Phalguni, so had Venusian qualities.. πŸ˜‰

She loved Arjun the most, yes but that is what is stated in Swagyarohan Parva (which I consider interpolatation) but even if we consider that true, this happened after years of knowing him. 

Draupadi can only feel attraction for Arjun on seeing him for the first time in Swayamvar because realistically you can't fall in love with someone in one glimpse. You maybe in awe of his strength and ability. Similarly, Arjun may only be ATTRACTED to Subhadra on first meet. There is no evidence that they were in love. It's a little strange to believe a woman like Draupadi was in love with Arjun on seeing him just once in the Swayamvar. I can't accept that. 

Yes, she was attracted, of course. So was Arjun. And the rest of the Pandavas. Also how is it Gandharva Vivah? Arjun came and won the contest and hence won Draupadi's hand. 

CaptainSpark thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: .Lonewalker.

@ Bold I have always wondered this too. I don't know about the original scripture (since I don't know how to read Sanskrit)...but in all these translations by later authors, it seems that Draupadi was supposed to have some deeper feelings for Arjun since  Arjun was the one who won her swayamvar. To the readers probably otherwise it would look odd. So these authors have also tried make a ship out of Arjun x Draupadi in places possible.

Few more questions. Please answer if you are interested in indulging me πŸ˜†

a) What about Vyasa meeting the Pandavas & telling them about Draupadi & how she will be their common wife. If Yudhistir was Draupadi's only husband, this also doesn't fit in.

I believe that is Interpolatation. This is so, as I am someone who always tries to believe MB was a story of human beings and these divine interventions are either Interpolatations or have a different interpretation. I think this story was cooked up later and added into the epic to justify this marriage of Panchali to five Pandavas. It's not realistic that some vardaan is the reason she married 5 pandavas and no man had all 5 qualities. Krishna himself did :P 

And also Draupadi's boon from previous birth. Is this also a later addition?

I believe this boon is a later addition. Interpolatation. 

b) All the Upapandavas not being Draupadi's biological kid, is it your assumption? Or there's any mention of their different bioligical mothers anywhere?

It is possible that all 5 were not Draupadi's children because the other Upapandavas are mentioned to be sons of Bheem Arjun Nakul and Sahadev, so i think other wives bore them. Also, these brothers had more wives than mentioned in the epic. 

c) Abhimanyu was the crown prince? How? Prativindhya was Draupadi & Yudhistir's kid & also elder than Abhimanyu, no? How come Arjun's son is the crown prince? I always thought Prativindhya was supposed to be the crown prince, but since the whole clan got killed in Kurukshetra & only Abhimanyu's unborn child survived, the throne passed to Abhimanyu's son. 

Krishna leela :P You know why Krishna got Subhadra Arjun married is because he always wanted his blood to be passed on and rule Bharat. That's why if you see it, after Kurukshetra it was at the end the blood of Yadavas and Pandavas which inherited the throne. πŸ˜†

I however am not completely convinced that Draupadi was married to Yudhishthir. I have many other contrasting points. However the theory is not completely rubbish. And even if she was not wife to all 5, I believe that boon bit is an interpolatation to justify Yudhishthir and his actions which led to her being divided like a commodity.