Mahabharat

A few things about Draupadi, How true are they?

NoraSM thumbnail
Posted: 4 years ago

Last one day, I have learnt that there are many versions of Mahabharata, I always thought there's a book from Ved Vyasa 🙃🙃🙃🙃 but I got to know that there's no book from Ved Vyasa 

About a week ago, I had a very negative perception on Draupadi, I thought her a weak woman who did not do anything to not marry 4 brothers of her husband, it's not like she wanted to marry, if she wanted this then we'll and good but she did not, yet she didn't do anything, then she didn't help herself but relied on God to save her during Chirharan. 

1 Did she really insult Duryodhana and his father? 

2 Did she reject Karna because he was from low caste? 

I'll add more as I recall, Thanks 

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Agni_Jytsona thumbnail
Love Couple India Season 2 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 9

No to both 

That andhe ka putra andha is brc chopra s creation and has no reference in the actual epic

Even that drapaudi rejecting karna is not part of bibek debroy s CE which is most credible translation as of now. But yes karna insulting drapaudi and giving idea of her disrobing is Very much part of all the translation. So yeah. 

About marriage thingy. Arjun was NOT HER HUSBAND  Rest i guess everyone has different theory 

For me pandavas desperately wanted this alliance for political purposes ofcourse against their cousins who were better position politically at that point plus ved vyasa s in his conversation with the pandavas reveals about drapaudi s past life boon of marrying all the five pandavas and then these men go to drapaudi Swamyvaar to win her hand in marriage. Since it was archery s competition arjun went ahead with it .  That mothers order thing was just an act staged for drapaudi but i think even panchal + krishna wanted this alliance with kuru heir a.k.a yudhishtra and the swaymawar was set up to seek pandavas out the plan was never arjun it was always yudhishtra arjun was just the medium this plan was probably made by drapaudi + krishna + panchal princes this explains why krishna did not participate in Swamyvaar even though he was present. And this explains drapaudi s silence in the potter house otherwise for someone as opinionated as drapaudi to be silent at such an important juncture of her life is indigestible at least to me .I don't find anything wrong with this all of them looking out for themselves plus political marriages were quite common in those days 

Another thing is drapaudi being in love with arjuna before marriage is complete bullshit . Ofcourse they did build a relationship in due course of time but this amar prem ghatha which people try to project is how should i put it bakwaas. 

Edited by Poorabhforever - 4 years ago
NoraSM thumbnail

This content was originally posted by: Poorabhforever

No to both 

That andhe ka putra andha is brc chopra s creation and has no reference in the actual epic

Even that drapaudi rejecting karna is not part of bibek debroy s CE which is most credible translation as of now. But yes karna insulting drapaudi and giving idea of her disrobing is Very much part of all the translation. So yeah. 

About marriage thingy. Arjun was NOT HER HUSBAND  Rest i guess everyone has different theory 

For me pandavas desperately wanted this alliance for political purposes ofcourse against their cousins who were better position politically at that point plus ved vyasa s in his conversation with the pandavas reveals about drapaudi s past life boon of marrying all the five pandavas and then these men go to drapaudi Swamyvaar to win her hand in marriage. Since it was archery s competition arjun went ahead with it .  That mothers order thing was just an act staged for drapaudi but i think even panchal + krishna wanted this alliance with kuru heir a.k.a yudhishtra and the swaymawar was set up to seek pandavas out the plan was never arjun it was always yudhishtra arjun was just the medium this plan was probably made by drapaudi + krishna + panchal princes this explains why krishna did not participate in Swamyvaar even though he was present. And this explains drapaudi s silence in the potter house otherwise for someone as opinionated as drapaudi to be silent at such an important juncture of her life is indigestible at least to me .I don't find anything wrong with this all of them looking out for themselves plus political marriages were quite common in those days 

Another thing is drapaudi being in love with arjuna before marriage is complete bullshit . Ofcourse they did build a relationship in due course of time but this amar prem ghatha which people try to project is how should i put it bakwaas. 

Actually both things have been used to explain why Duryodhana and Karna did what they did to Draupadi. I don't understand why there are so many wrong stories to malign Draupadi's image and present her as a vain, casteist woman. 

I am lost here, so they knew Draupadi had to Marry 5 of them, the story I read was Arjun referring her as a thing and Kunti asking them to share it and to respect her order, they all marry Draupadi. 

If everyone knew that Draupadi had to marry 5 of them then why would they show Kunti and everyone doing drama in front of Draupadi? 

It's all so confusing 

It was Draupadi's swayamvar, she was to choose her husband, her husband would be the man who wins the competition, Arjun was the one who won, Draupadi put Varmala on him after Swayamvar and went to Kunti as his wife, why would Draupadi's father send his unmarried daughter with a man who is not her husband? Don't they get married after Swayamvar? If they don't still Arjun was bethroted to her and she agreed to marry the man who won the competition, that's how it works 

Since this whole story was false and as you said Draupadi knew that she has to marry 5 Pandavas, why didn't they simply marry her instead of organizing a swayamvar? 

I didn't mention love in my post, I feel you think I ship Arjun and Draupadi, which is not true, I don't believe in love story where woman has 5 husbands and husband has 4 wives, it was a different time and place. Marriages were alliance between two kingdoms 

Edited by NoraSM - 4 years ago
Agni_Jytsona thumbnail

This content was originally posted by: NoraSM

Actually both things have been used to explain why Duryodhana and Karna did what they did to Draupadi. I don't understand why there are so many wrong stories to malign Draupadi's image and present her as a vain, casteist woman. 

I am lost here, so they knew Draupadi had to Marry 5 of them, the story I read was Arjun referring her as a thing and Kunti asking them to share it and to respect her order, they all marry Draupadi 

It's all so confusing 

Modern day love and relationships don't hold true for an age where people practiced polygamy. 

It was Draupadi's swayamvar, she was to choose her husband, her husband would be the man who wins the competition, Arjun was the one who won, Draupadi put Varmala on him after Swayamvar and went to Kunti as his wife, why would Drupad send his unmarried daughter with a man who is not her husband? Don't they get married after Swayamvar? 

I didn't mention love in my post, I feel you think I ship Arjun and Draupadi, which is not true, I don't believe in love story where woman has 5 husbands and husband has 4 wives, it was a different time and place. Marriages were alliance between two kingdoms 

Actually over the time a lot misconceptions interpolation have creeped into Mahabharata .  And as it is easy to blame a woman most of the stories are anti drapaudi. 

Yez vyasa already had informed pandavas about drapaudi previous birth thing and then they go to Swamyvaar. 

That kunti wish thing was just an act ( that is a theory ) for drapaudi 

No Arjun and drapaudi were not married at that point.  As i have said after your entrance once you start reading you will get a better perspective about things. 

And no i don't think you ship Arjun and drapaudi that is another popular misconception . I just mentioned that 

Agni_Jytsona thumbnail

I am lost here, so they knew Draupadi had to Marry 5 of them, the story I read was Arjun referring her as a thing and Kunti asking them to share it and to respect her order, they all marry Draupadi. 

If everyone knew that Draupadi had to marry 5 of them then why would they show Kunti and everyone doing drama in front of Draupadi? 

It's all so confusing 

It was Draupadi's swayamvar, she was to choose her husband, her husband would be the man who wins the competition, Arjun was the one who won, Draupadi put Varmala on him after Swayamvar and went to Kunti as his wife, why would Draupadi's father send his unmarried daughter with a man who is not her husband? Don't they get married after Swayamvar? If they don't still Arjun was bethroted to her and she agreed to marry the man who won the competition, that's how it works 

Since this whole story was false and as you said Draupadi knew that she has to marry 5 Pandavas, why didn't they simply marry her instead of organizing a swayamvar? 

No no drapaudi didn't knew she has to marry five of them the brothers five Pandavas knew that drapaudi is destined to marry five of them 

See that drapaudi krishna s plan is my theory my take  

As i have said read the text you will get a better perspective 

NoraSM thumbnail

Actually over the time a lot misconceptions interpolation have creeped into Mahabharata .  And as it is easy to blame a woman most of the stories are anti drapaudi. 

Yez vyasa already had informed pandavas about drapaudi previous birth thing and then they go to Swamyvaar. 

That kunti wish thing was just an act ( that is a theory ) for drapaudi 

No Arjun and drapaudi were not married at that point.  As i have said after your entrance once you start reading you will get a better perspective about things. 

And no i don't think you ship Arjun and drapaudi that is another popular misconception . I just mentioned that 

What happened in her previous birth? 

I know, I should read the book but I am using a shortcut and asking people who have read most of the versions so I get better picture of it 🙃🙃🙃🙃🙃

Edited by NoraSM - 4 years ago
NoraSM thumbnail

No no drapaudi didn't knew she has to marry five of them the brothers five Pandavas knew that drapaudi is destined to marry five of them 

See that drapaudi krishna s plan is my theory my take  

As i have said read the text you will get a better perspective 

Oh, I get it now 

Thanks

CaptainSpark thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

I think @Poorabhforever has explained quite well the answers to your questions. 

I want to add something. Firstly, Karna's rejection by Draupadi is not a part of all versions. But even if I consider this correct, there's something important to be noted here. 

Karna was NOT invited in the Swayamvar. Yes, there is a citation with mentions him being called. (I don't recall the exact section so I am unable to quote, but I'll be glad if someone does quote it here). But Karna was part of baraati of Duryodhana as per my understanding. :P

And those who aren't invited to a Swayamvar, I don't see how they can participate. 

Anyway, Draupadi never laughed at Duryodhana. This is not a part of any translation. It is a complete BR Chopra creation. Unfortunately, BRC MB has created many false conceptions about Mahabharata. People still believe them. 

CaptainSpark thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

What happened in her previous birth? 

I know, I should read the book but I am using a shortcut and asking people who have read most of the versions so I get better picture of it 🙃🙃🙃🙃🙃

She wished for a husband with 5 important qualities which the 5 Pandavas had. 

Yudhishthir- Dharma and Righteousness

Bheem- Strength

Arjuna - Patience/Archery Skills/Best Warrior

Nakul- Beauty

Sahadev- Knowledge

So Vyasa said about this to the Pandavas and told them to go to the Swayamvar. Then Arjun won the contest. Before this, Arjun and Draupadi did not know each other. 

Again, Star Plus MB and its completely false creation of Arjun Draupadi romance is the reason for this belief among people. There is nothing like this in real epic. 

HearMeRoar thumbnail

TM, there are many threads in this forum with info on this. Better yet, KMG is free to read.