Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Sea-stars thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 4 years ago

Originally posted by: ponymo

Don't be so naïve. It could also have been under duress. Police was under tremendous pressure to crack the case, so they could easily frame an innocent person if they wanted to.

Which is why they should be given ample time and opportunity to prove their innocence. Because punishing without following due processes might increase the risk of punishing an innocent, therefore every single step has to be followed to clearly establish that no innocent pays for the crime of some other actual criminal. 

Look at that Ayesha Meera case. No actual rapist was caught. They just jailed an innocent and kept him in jail for ten years because the media coverage was so widespread in that case.

The hot takes of some of these so called educated folks is disturbing to say the least. These people should reflect on what they're saying and think before they spout some rubbish.

Don't be so naive. The mothers of two accused are ready for any kind of punishment for their accused sons. One mother said that his son came home at 1 am on friday and told her that accident happened and one girl died and then he took bath and went for sleep. Two hours later police came to pick him. While  another mastermind accused mother saying her son is innocent.

So we can't take every situation as Ayesha Meera case.

Sea-stars thumbnail

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

I have walked home from the bars at 2 AM without anyone harassing me. And I didn't have to wear a hijab or worry about modesty. I live in a middle-sized college town in the United States. 

There are no draconian laws about rape here. Do rapes and sexual assaults occur? Yes. It is impossible to eliminate crime. But do women feel safe? Mostly. There are also free services like safe walk available. 

You don't need cruelty to minimize rape. You need sex ed. You need consent education. You need to stop making sex taboo and allow healthy expressions of sexuality. You need empathetic law enforcement. You need a culture that holds rapists accountable. 

Why would you want to emulate totalitarian nations like Saudi Arabia. They lynch women for showing a bit of skin too. They punish rapists ONLY and ONLY IF it is PROVEN that the woman did not provoke a man. Everything else gets dismissed as a crime committed by women to seduce men. 

To lynch a woman for showing skin is a crime on the part of those lynching them.  If a person rapes a woman he can be put to jail for 10 years or like. When rapists make a woman in vegetative state or murder or charred her to death after sexual assault, I am least bothered if they be lynched. if ONLY and ONLY it is PROVEN or whatever, at least they take strict action against such crimes. This is what these countries are also known for. There could be other socio- poilitical issues.

Sea-stars thumbnail

Originally posted by: ~*sindhu*~

We can continue to judge people but there is no guarantee that we are judging the right people. A criminal deserves punishment, an accused deserves a proper trial. It will come back to bite us if we try to mix these two. Let people judge anyone however they want based on whatever facts they have learnt about it. I don't mind that. I just don't want the people to decide the punishment for an accused. It should be the police to find the culprits and collect evidence against him. It should be the court of law that decides their punishment. Of course if found guilty they should hang them immediately and not keep receiving their mercy petitions. But do not let mob lynching become a legal practice cause mob lynching has killed many innocents. This is not for a civilised society. 

They should be hanged immediately looks a deserving punishment, considering we are living in a civilized society. But still there are a lot of debates regarding capital punishment too. The reason we use words like lynch them/ hang them, is out of anger, because they did a heinous crime and we want them to get any kind of punishment to eliminate them from the society. For Hyderabad incident, even two of accused mothers are ready for any kind of punishment for their sons.  Lynching in exceptional cases looks okay,  a way to create fear in the mindset of such criminals living in the society. These accused are in police custody, if left in public, out of anger the general public will lynch them without any prevailing legal practice. In Nirbhaya case, I saw a lot of anger in the protestants on the streets. 

~*sindhu*~ thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Tippy-top

They should be hanged immediately looks a deserving punishment, considering we are living in a civilized society. But still there are a lot of debates regarding capital punishment too. The reason we use words like lynch them/ hang them, is out of anger, because they did a heinous crime and we want them to get any kind of punishment to eliminate them from the society. For Hyderabad incident, even two of accused mothers are ready for any kind of punishment for their sons.  Lynching in exceptional cases looks okay,  a way to create fear in the mindset of such criminals living in the society. These accused are in police custody, if left in public, out of anger the general public will lynch them without any prevailing legal practice. In Nirbhaya case, I saw a lot of anger in the protestants on the streets. 

Lynching under no circumstances is ok. Especially lynching an accused in a jail who haven't been proven guilty.Even their mother's approval to do so doesn't change anything.  The ones who do it are criminals and should be in jail. A proper trial and a punishment fixed by the judiciary is the only way to be. This country is already a hell when it comes to lawlessness don't increase it with such mindset. Someday people will barge into our house saying its special circumstances and we will lynch your family now. 

Lawmakers giving out irresponsible statement under the garb of being emotional doesn't work. If they can't do their jobs properly and fix the failed system they created in the first place then maybe they need to take a break and others need to take their place who can deliver. 

Edited by ~*sindhu*~ - 4 years ago
FreeTheNipple thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Some commentary on the enthusiastic support for capital punishment.

https://www.law.berkeley.edu/php-programs/faculty/facultyPubsPDF.php?facID=127&pubID=20

Will people shut their eyes to the fact a death penalty for rape will mean you will have rape victims who are also dead now because there is no incentive for the rapist to let the victim alive? Would you really prefer rape victims dead than alive? Would you call for same punishment for murders then to rationalize your idea of rape being the most heinous crime?

Quoting from that article: "To appropriate the feminist slogan, Indian women need the protection of capital punishment like a fish needs a bicycle."

SakuraKakashi thumbnail

Originally posted by: AllThatCritique

Mob violence is never the answer and lynching pertains to that. Its a dangerous precedent to set. BUT capital punishment is REQUIRED in a country like India. 

I see zero point in comparing India to the more secure places on Earth and saying 'look it can work without all this'. It makes no sense to me cause the dynamics of India is completely different from the developed countries in the world and Arab countries as well. Our society lacks fear. We need to find a system that works for us. And that should be 'fast track courts' for rape. The longass judgement process is a boon for potential rapists and bane for victims. And we need capital punishment in a country like India. Wanting that does not make anyone an idiot or an emotional fool. Lynching is a no,capital punishment meted out by the government after a trial and found guilty.. hell yes. 

I keep saying how propaganda works in India. Everyone knows this. You say a lie 10 times here and it becomes the truth. And that same propaganda machine should be implemented when it comes to creating a fearful stance on rape. 

The people talking about education,changing mindsets.. it doesn't happen overnight,right? That's a long term solution. What about now? We can have dialogues over dialogues about it but things won't change. India is fundamentally f*cked up that way. Our main issue is and always will be overpopulation coupled with poverty. People don't fear getting punished for sexual assault and rape in this country because it does not have a good enough tracking system to maintain law and order. They know they can escape a state the next day and can hideaway for the rest of their lives. Others have money and power. The fear of doing the act is not there. 

So many talked about an innocent getting in the middle of this. I agree. Its a dangerous chance. But what about those who do their term,come out and do it again. Who have no remorse. What about them? Why should we spend our taxes taking care of their rehabilitation? What about our choice? I REJECT THE IDEA THAT PROVEN RAPISTS DESERVE TO LIVE. I have done enough case studies to know not one feels an iota of shame. Its rather a proof of their manhood to them. That they were able to do that. The community they come from see them as wrongly judged because ofcourse the woman definitely did something to warrant that. When you do one-on-one interviews with them it becomes more evident there. 

I don't think people understand what letting go of a rapist without strict punishment in India entails. It gives us the entitlement of being animals. While one rape in India when it makes headlines makes it difficult for every woman in this country to go to work or even go out the next day. 

So,yeah we need capital punishment for rape. But it should be a six month process fast-tracked by court with enough evidence. 

You put it really well about the entire situation .

fivestars thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Govt should put a mandatory for a girl to learn self defense tricks from young age Which helps them in these situations....

Kamala05 thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 7

Uttar Pradesh: 'Rapists' on bail set survivor ablaze a year after gang rape in Unnao. 

This is the latest news regarding the infamous Unnao case ,the condition of the girl is critical. 

And still, people believe that the existing law and punishment methods are sufficient to control the rape? I am not in favor of punishing the innocent people, but I am a firm believer that once found guilty there should be brutal punishment like castration, lynching depends on the intensity of their crime. And it might be barbaric punishment, so is rape especially gang rape. 

Most of the rapists are not afraid of the punishment because they know that if the woman is not alive and if the body is burnt, it is easy to escape the punishment in the absence of various biological evidence, even though the officials are sure that the accused are indeed guilty.

And the sad part is our society still believes that the dressing style of the woman, night travel are the reason for rape and there are many who believes that rape is a macho act, that's the reason the rapists live proudly even after found guilty and the victim suffers rest of the life. 

Edited by Kamala05 - 4 years ago