Namah

NaMah : It is more Fiction than Mythology.

crystalmoon thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 4 years ago

So it has been more than a week so it is safe to review the show as we have gathered all the necessary information with regards to the storyline, cast and the concept. 

The promos had captured my attention from the start, I was really excited about the show to the point that I watched the first episode an hour after the release on hotstar. Namah the story of Narayan and Mahadev and their friendship, it is an interesting concept even though my heart goes out to the third often neglected part of the triad Lord Brahma, I could put that aside if the show delivered on its promising promos but sadly the cv's are forcing this fiction based story down our throats with their emphasis on the word Mitra. 

Before delving into the negative aspects of the show I want to mention the aspects that I have come to like, the CGI has me hoodwinked I can't take my eyes off the screen, those glamorous shots are very much life-like and are worth every penny they spent I just hope they don't overdo it because then it would be too straining, small does of CGI is absolutely fine.  Second is surprisingly the actress Yukti Kapoor aka Goddesses Lakshmi (this is the first time I am seeing the actress on-screen and I absolutely loved her if u guys have suggestions of her other shows I would very much appreciate it) her skin tone is very much on the darker side of the skin palette and it is rare to see such complexion on screen and she has a charm about her that just says Goddess.  

First of all the story is too fast-paced, they should start off by setting a time frame where we are made aware of the characters and their motivations. For all intents and purposes, Mahadev and Narayan seem to have switched their primal core characteristics, with Narayan taking out his anger on Samudradev despite being known form his calm and amused nature to seeing Mahadev being a little too romantic despite him detesting worldly pleasures (remember when he killed Kamdev for it). I wanted to see the balance that this friendship would create as the Preserver and Destroyer they have opposite perspectives on things though little effort has been made to shed light on this subject. 

When the show started with Samudra Mantha I expected them to show the counterforce of the gods and demons as a metaphor for the said friendship as in the tales gods reverence to Vishnu and demons to Shiva and importance of both their worldviews. But the whole Manthan was over before it began the creatives definitely don't want to tell us the philosophy behind the storytelling as the story so far has been severely fictionalised. 

Lakshmi was second to last to come out of the ocean and first came Halahal but Cv glossed over this fact entierly, In one of Devdutt Patnaik's articles he mentions how all the evil and impurity (Halahal) should be cleaned out by churning to gain purity and goodness, it is a really an interesting read and gave me a new insight over the Manthan process and how it is applicable to us in our daily lives.

Brahma in the epic itself has little to do but one of his prominent roles arise in Samudra Manthan where he provided stability to the Mandrachal Parvat by sitting on top of it. But here the stabilising part was given to Mahadev who pushed it on top of Kurm Avatar. And Brahma the Creator has been reduced to play the part of the narrator to his creation Srishti, I didn't completely understand the point of it. Also, the Kurm Avatar just lasted 20 secs, like it's an Avatar it definitely deserves a more screen space than that but we are stuck on seeing CGIed Kali and his lover Mrityu. 

Coming to Kali, I am well aware that Hindu Mythology has many scriptures with different versions the versions I am well aware off are as follows the most prominent being that he is the great-grandson of Brahma who is awaiting his turn to rule his won age, who will be defeated by Kalki the 10th incarnation of Lord Vishnu. Another tale of his creation is that he was born after Krishna died at the Dwaparyug allowing Kali to be born and start his reign the third one is that he was the remains of the poison Halahal which fell into the ocean and created a dark force by the name Kali, Also from the Halahal emerged Alakshmi, Lakshmis elder sister and consort to Kali. I have scorched the internet today in search of Mrityu but I couldn't find her in relation to Kali whatsoever she is associated with Yama, so I don't know what the creatives are playing at. 

So so far everything shown related to kali has been false, I think they just wanted a big bad villain and came across Kali and stuck with him. And CV's are overdoing it I mean we get it they are friends it's the most obvious thing in the world you don't have to force the point across whenever they are on screen. 

Also, I watched the first episode of Jag Janani Maa Vaishnov Devi which is one of the reasons that drove me to make this post, I really liked the first episode it has its priorities and concepts straight and blended spirituality and philosophy so well, I am gonna properly review that show in a weeks time, till then I just hope Namah gears up and delivers well. I really hate it when they fictionalise mythology, I learned the tales of our religion by watching them on  TV but before they were true to their origins nowadays it seems as if the CV's are taking too many liberties I don't want the future generation to grow up watching tales twisted and turned according to whims of CV;s just so they could top the TRP chart.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

magicworld thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: crystalmoon

So it has been more than a week so it is safe to review the show as we have gathered all the necessary information with regards to the storyline, cast and the concept. 

The promos had captured my attention from the start, I was really excited about the show to the point that I watched the first episode an hour after the release on hotstar. Namah the story of Narayan and Mahadev and their friendship, it is an interesting concept even though my heart goes out to the third often neglected part of the triad Lord Brahma, I could put that aside if the show delivered on its promising promos but sadly the cv's are forcing this fiction based story down our throats with their emphasis on the word Mitra. 

Before delving into the negative aspects of the show I want to mention the aspects that I have come to like, the CGI has me hoodwinked I can't take my eyes off the screen, those glamorous shots are very much life-like and are worth every penny they spent I just hope they don't overdo it because then it would be too straining, small does of CGI is absolutely fine.  Second is surprisingly the actress Yukti Kapoor aka Goddesses Lakshmi (this is the first time I am seeing the actress on-screen and I absolutely loved her if u guys have suggestions of her other shows I would very much appreciate it) her skin tone is very much on the darker side of the skin palette and it is rare to see such complexion on screen and she has a charm about her that just says Goddess.  

First of all the story is too fast-paced, they should start off by setting a time frame where we are made aware of the characters and their motivations. For all intents and purposes, Mahadev and Narayan seem to have switched their primal core characteristics, with Narayan taking out his anger on Samudradev despite being known form his calm and amused nature to seeing Mahadev being a little too romantic despite him detesting worldly pleasures (remember when he killed Kamdev for it). I wanted to see the balance that this friendship would create as the Preserver and Destroyer they have opposite perspectives on things though little effort has been made to shed light on this subject. 

When the show started with Samudra Mantha I expected them to show the counterforce of the gods and demons as a metaphor for the said friendship as in the tales gods reverence to Vishnu and demons to Shiva and importance of both their worldviews. But the whole Manthan was over before it began the creatives definitely don't want to tell us the philosophy behind the storytelling as the story so far has been severely fictionalised. 

Lakshmi was second to last to come out of the ocean and first came Halahal but Cv glossed over this fact entierly, In one of Devdutt Patnaik's articles he mentions how all the evil and impurity (Halahal) should be cleaned out by churning to gain purity and goodness, it is a really an interesting read and gave me a new insight over the Manthan process and how it is applicable to us in our daily lives.

Brahma in the epic itself has little to do but one of his prominent roles arise in Samudra Manthan where he provided stability to the Mandrachal Parvat by sitting on top of it. But here the stabilising part was given to Mahadev who pushed it on top of Kurm Avatar. And Brahma the Creator has been reduced to play the part of the narrator to his creation Srishti, I didn't completely understand the point of it. Also, the Kurm Avatar just lasted 20 secs, like it's an Avatar it definitely deserves a more screen space than that but we are stuck on seeing CGIed Kali and his lover Mrityu. 

Coming to Kali, I am well aware that Hindu Mythology has many scriptures with different versions the versions I am well aware off are as follows the most prominent being that he is the great-grandson of Brahma who is awaiting his turn to rule his won age, who will be defeated by Kalki the 10th incarnation of Lord Vishnu. Another tale of his creation is that he was born after Krishna died at the Dwaparyug allowing Kali to be born and start his reign the third one is that he was the remains of the poison Halahal which fell into the ocean and created a dark force by the name Kali, Also from the Halahal emerged Alakshmi, Lakshmis elder sister and consort to Kali. I have scorched the internet today in search of Mrityu but I couldn't find her in relation to Kali whatsoever she is associated with Yama, so I don't know what the creatives are playing at. 

So so far everything shown related to kali has been false, I think they just wanted a big bad villain and came across Kali and stuck with him. And CV's are overdoing it I mean we get it they are friends it's the most obvious thing in the world you don't have to force the point across whenever they are on screen. 

Also, I watched the first episode of Jag Janani Maa Vaishnov Devi which is one of the reasons that drove me to make this post, I really liked the first episode it has its priorities and concepts straight and blended spirituality and philosophy so well, I am gonna properly review that show in a weeks time, till then I just hope Namah gears up and delivers well. I really hate it when they fictionalise mythology, I learned the tales of our religion by watching them on  TV but before they were true to their origins nowadays it seems as if the CV's are taking too many liberties I don't want the future generation to grow up watching tales twisted and turned according to whims of CV;s just so they could top the TRP chart.

Maa Vaishnodevi show is very good and new to ITV , and thIs Namah feels like a fictional show and cant connect with it at all.

magicworld thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Seen 1st ep of Vaishnodevi must say whole ep gives me a divine and soothing peace to mind like DKDM without any extra loud background music. BM is so soothing and peaceful here. ❤️And story is itself interesting. and VFX are perfect not extra colourful but very soothing to eyes. 

And we should not make comparision but when two mythological shows are coming at the same time, comparision ho hi jaata hai, Try to watch Namah also but cant watch it due to its weird storyline and something is seriously missing from this Namah show like divinity or it looks more on side of fictional .😕

Nicky-nish thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6

Bang on post. You said it all. Especially the bold part. I was expecting so much from samudra Manthan as it's one of an important event of hindu mythology. According to mythology 14 ratnas came out of samudra Manthan which were divided among devas and asurs but nothing sort of that happens and it turned out as blah. That made me lost my complete interest in this show I thought give it a shot for those fascinating visuals but naa.

It feels like makers have made their own story with a guest appearance of the mythological events.

Nicky-nish thumbnail

Sorry Double post.

Edited by Nicky-nish - 4 years ago
Hallyumint thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail

I like the way you analysed things. It also cleared up a few questions i had regarding this show. Was it fictionalised or was it modernised ! I understand now towards where it is leaning 

crystalmoon thumbnail

Originally posted by: magicalM

Seen 1st ep of Vaishnodevi must say whole ep gives me a divine and soothing peace to mind like DKDM without any extra loud background music. BM is so soothing and peaceful here. ❤️And story is itself interesting. and VFX are perfect not extra colourful but very soothing to eyes. 

And we should not make comparision but when two mythological shows are coming at the same time, comparision ho hi jaata hai, Try to watch Namah also but cant watch it due to its weird storyline and something is seriously missing from this Namah show like divinity or it looks more on side of fictional .😕

Yes, Maa Vaishnovdevi has started with a lot of promises and so far it is going well, hope the forum opens soon. I am going to watch Namah for this week and if the storyline doesn't produce something good then I am out of here. 

crystalmoon thumbnail

Originally posted by: Nicky-nish

Bang on post. You said it all. Especially the bold part. I was expecting so much from samudra Manthan as it's one of an important event of hindu mythology. According to mythology 14 ratnas came out of samudra Manthan which were divided among devas and asurs but nothing sort of that happens and it turned out as blah. That made me lost my complete interest in this show I thought give it a shot for those fascinating visuals but naa.

It feels like makers have made their own story with a guest appearance of the mythological events.

Not just that now they are going forward with Daksh track I had assumed Devi Shakti was Parvati but apparently it is Sati, which doesn't make sense because Karthikeya was present during the Samundra Manthan and Sati was not a full-fledged Goddesses and she referred to Narayan as her brother in one of the episodes that didn't occur till she was in her Parvati Swaroop. 

Mythology signifies that the events that occurred are a myth, we often generalise the Vedas and Puranas as myths and compare them with Greek and Norse Mythology, but the Vedas and Puranas are no Myth they are a Faith. Hinduism is the 3rd most practised religion in the world from which even Jainism and Buddhism emerged so it is my sincere wish to the Cvs to respect this religion and stick to the facts presented and not to Fictonalise it. 

If you want a Fictionalised account of the stories then I kindly urge you to adapt Amish Tripathi's Or Kevin Misal's books and make stories with the disclaimer being "based on story by the author off so and so". 

crystalmoon thumbnail

Originally posted by: Hallyumint

I like the way you analysed things. It also cleared up a few questions i had regarding this show. Was it fictionalised or was it modernised ! I understand now towards where it is leaning 

Modernisation of events is fine with the means of sets, costumes and the tonality of the show, through modernisation they attract the younger generation of the audience so that they may be able to relate with it more. But Fictionalisation is basically changing of facts. 

Previous Star Plus shows I had loved they were short and to the point, there was no unnecessary dragging of storylines, it was just the portrayal of events as they occurred. Lets hope Cvs don't bring the name of other star plus shows down with this. 

Also, Cvs should consult the researcher of the shows of Mahabharat and Siya ke Ram. 

Nicky-nish thumbnail

Not just that now they are going forward with Daksh track I had assumed Devi Shakti was Parvati but apparently it is Sati, which doesn't make sense because Karthikeya was present during the Samundra Manthan and Sati was not a full-fledged Goddesses and she referred to Narayan as her brother in one of the episodes that didn't occur till she was in her Parvati Swaroop. 

Mythology signifies that the events that occurred are a myth, we often generalise the Vedas and Puranas as myths and compare them with Greek and Norse Mythology, but the Vedas and Puranas are no Myth they are a Faith. Hinduism is the 3rd most practised religion in the world from which even Jainism and Buddhism emerged so it is my sincere wish to the Cvs to respect this religion and stick to the facts presented and not to Fictonalise it. 

If you want a Fictionalised account of the stories then I kindly urge you to adapt Amish Tripathi's Or Kevin Misal's books and make stories with the disclaimer being "based on story by the author off so and so". 

Bold 😆 The Shiva Triology is still my yet to complete book.

I agree with u makers should give a disclaimer based on blah blah.

Ok I m not watching the show. So didn't knew that she is not Parvati but Sati and it just clicked me that the Fight between NaMah makers are pointing at will be the one which happened after Sati's death with their twist of kali involved in it.🤦 (It's a guess though)