The awesomeness of ARR, Irshad Kamil and Mohit Chauhan

Posted: 5 years ago

So am sure everyone is convinced am obsessed with this albumπŸ˜†  I remember making a similar topic two years back gushing about Aur Ho from Rockstar and am back again with a gush fest on another song from the same album. This seems like a very late reaction cos the film released years back but I never really bothered to pay attention to this song beyond a point. Probably cos the film is extremely frustrating (it gets worse when you watch it the second time IMO πŸ˜†) but this song is a goldmine. Its literally the most underrated song ever. The brilliance of ARR, Irshad and Mohit combined with the context of the film makes for an absolutely fabulous song which only gets better with time.

Consider the lyrics of the song-

'Chakri si pairo mein pahiya pahiya aiya oho
Aasmaan sar par ghuma o o
Kahi sunaai ye hum ne toh oh
Raani ghoome ghoome gore gore pairo se
Chik chik chik chik jara
Rani phir nau do gyaraah
Raati to iske aadi
Ik din mein joote baarah
Raja ka chadh gaya pyara
Khabri ko paas pukara
Ye kya hai maajra.. dekho o o

Jaati kahaan hai woh
Khabri ne peechha kiya
Rani ko ghar se raaton ko
Dozakh me jaate dekha
Hava Hava
Hava Hava
Hawa Hawa

Shole behke
Rani behke
Naach Rangeele
Sab zehreele
Khabri chakraaya
Ulte paanv
Ruk gaya to batlaaya usne
Hava hava
Rani Hava
Hava hava
Hava..

Nachi re magan
Dhola wala sipahiya o ho
Jo naache dhaayn dhaayn
Ruke na phir paanv paanv paanv
Hawa hawa
Dheema haya
Hawa hawa
Ruke na phir paanv paanv paanv
Raja jhallaya
Door rozana
Barah jooton ko ghise Rani
Qissa hai ye aisa o o..

Hava hava
Hava hava
Paanv ruke na kisi ke roke
Ye toh chalenge
Nach lenge
Yahaan wahaan yaara masti mein

Chidh kar gusse mein bola Raja
O Rani, kyun phhatki meri pochi
O naak katayi, waat lagayi
Tune talwahi meri izzat ki bhajiyaan (Haay maa)

Aaj se tera band bahar hai jaana
Ye sunkar rani muskayi
Boli
Sone ki deewarein
Mujhe khushi naa ye de paayein
Aye aazadi de de mujhe
Mere Khuda
Le le tu daulat aur kar de riha
Hawa Hawa
Hawa Hawa

Garam tal ke roz khul ke
Gunaah kiya tha
Kiya gande mande bando mein
Thi malang woh apne rang
Ghoome phire jhoome naache
Woh gore se paanv paanv paanv
Pa pa paanv paanv paanv
Pa pa paanv paanv paanv
Pa pa paa paanv paanv

Hava Hava
O Rani Hava
Paanv ruke na kisi ke roke toke oke
Ye toh chalenge
Nach lenge
Yahaan wahaan
Jahaan tahaan
kahaan kahaan
Tara para
Hava Hava Hava Hava Hava Hava'

The song is set in Prague and plays right after Jordan meets Heer. It tells the story of a Czech fairy tale called Sleepy John. In the story, the protagonist has magical powers. There is this Queen who manages to wear out 12 shoes every night and the King has no clue how cos no one has ever managed to follow her. So he assigns John with the task of spying on the Queen. John finds out that the Queen dances non-stop in hell with the devils every night which is why the shoes get worn out. He reports this to the King and the Queen eventually dies. John gets half the kingdom and after the King dies, gets the remaining half as well. Now whats interesting is that Irshad takes this fairy tale and gives his own twist to the story. In the end, the Queen talks about being trapped in a golden cage and wanting freedom. The song in a way expresses the story of the film (Heer = Queen, Jordan = Devil and her husband = King). Now the actual film is unbearable but this song is so beautiful that its almost unfair that its part of this film πŸ˜†

So here is the thing- the song is set in Prague, Jordan has just met Heer and Heer does secretly escape from her house to dance with Jordan. All she wants is freedom so to speak. And Irshad has so beautifully interwoven a local fairy tale to the context of the film. And ARR is a magician. The song is addictive, fun and magic. So is Mohit Chauhan. He narrates a story, yodels and puts his heart and soul into it.

Can anyone come up with other songs which were juxtaposed with the context of the film and which had their own story to tell? Where literally everything came together including the way its been shot?

P.S. I hate the film. I think it's the most frustrating film ever but the album is the stuff dreams are made of. I probably sound like a babbling idiot but I really had to gush about this song and get it out of my system.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQryki2ZhYA[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by rogerrocks - 5 years ago
I cant believe I wrote an essay on this random old song πŸ˜†
This Album was gold.
Wish the movie was also one, but agree movie was absolutely disappointing.
But than again Imti movies post JWM have all been disappointing.

Note: Highway was basically a remake of an much older telefilm Imti did.Edited by Thug-Leader - 5 years ago
Originally posted by rogerrocks

I cant believe I wrote an essay on this random old songπŸ˜†

Even I can't believe you wrote an essay on this old song and I had to find my ID to do a head wall here
I just love how these lines sound while listening..
Sone ki deewarein mujhe khushi na ye de paye 
Azaadi dede mujhe mere khuda lele tu daulat aur karde riha 

It has always been one of my fav songs from the album
@TL- Imtiaz makes the most pseudo intellectual films. I can even take Tamasha over Rockstar. Rockstar is migraine inducing. You want to slap all the characters after a point. The album though just keeps getting better with time. I realized almost every song has its own theme and story to tell and they are written and sung so brilliantly. 
Originally posted by Espresso

Even I can't believe you wrote an essay on this old song and I had to find my ID to do a head wall here

🀣

@minu- Oh those are my favorite lines too. Just the way Mohit renders those lines- its sheer magic <3
@RR: I still cannot believe but I agree with KRK when he said that Imtiaz has corrupted himself. Rockstar would have been the finest romantic movie of this decade, Tamasha could have the ultimate coming of age/slice of life and Jab Harry Met Sejal could have been the freshest love story since JWM, but all ruined by Imtiaz's self indulgence.
Ranjini, I feel you girl! 
Rockstar should be there right with Dil Se, best if ARR. 
Originally posted by Thug-Leader

@RR: I still cannot believe but I agree with KRK when he said that Imtiaz has corrupted himself. Rockstar would have been the finest romantic movie of this decade, Tamasha could have the ultimate coming of age/slice of life and Jab Harry Met Sejal could have been the freshest love story since JWM, but all ruined by Imtiaz's self indulgence.

I can't stand Imtiaz Ali's style of film making. He makes really abstract points in the most round about manner possible πŸ˜† Rockstar is excruciating IMO. So he wants to say this guy wants to get his heart broken to create great music but he eventually finds true love and would rather give up on his music than have his heart broken. But boy, does Imtiaz make a mess of it. I felt so bad for Heer's husband and Jordan's manager in the film. They are the real heroes of the story πŸ˜†  The film's only saving graces are Ranbir and the music. The music in particular is divine. What an album. Imtiaz should shift to assisting music composers and cinematographers. He is clearly good at it πŸ˜†