A Huge Low After A Huge High: Gold - Satyameva Jayate

I_M_SultaN thumbnail
Posted: 5 years ago
A Huge Low After A Huge High: Gold - Satyameva Jayate
Thursday 16 August 2018 23.30 IST
Box Office India Trade Network

There was a huge high at the box office yesterday as Gold and Satyameva Jayate recorded very strong numbers boosted by the national holiday but as the holiday came to close and it became a working day then there is a huge low as the collections have come down heavily. 

The early estimates are 7.50 crore nett for Gold and around 7 crore nett for Satyameva Jayate with the latter showing a lesser fall at single screens which has meant its fall is 63% apprx compared to the 70% of Gold. In normal circumstances this would be it for the films as these sort of falls point to rejection but due to it being a midweek release its a wait and watch situation as to how and if they can recover. It was a working day and that too a Thursday so the momentum could come back on Friday and the weekend.

It is rare to see such drops for films which did so well on day one to drop to such low levels the next day. The momentum has to come back tomorrow if they are to survive but if it does not then Satyameva Jayate will actually be in a better position despite the lower numbers as it is the smaller film. The only similar precedent is Agneepath in 2012 which fell 52% on day two and still recovered and that was a Thursday national holiday to Friday fall. A Friday is better for collections than a Thursday and both these two have landed with day two on Thursday. 

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Gold looked so bad from the promos. I was shocked it opened well but I guess the holiday saved it. Now it looks like a rejected movie. 
TheDarkRock thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
That's quite harsh drop. Specially for Gold as it got good reviews and wom and should have held better. Although I think Sat/Sun will be good again for Gold due to family audience support. But 150crrs looks difficult now unless it shows good legs during weekdays as reviews suggests.
As for SJ it's huge win even if it crashes and finishes at 70-75crrs
I thought these films were the saviors of BW ðŸ˜†ðŸ˜†
raj5000 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
I was surprised they made good opening, especially GOLD, Gold's trailer was not impressed and something about it made me totally uninterested to watch. 
Bollywoodlaver thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Not surprised, both the movies looked bad, especially GOLD.
blue-ice. thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: raj5000

I was surprised they made good opening, especially GOLD, Gold's trailer was not impressed and something about it made me totally uninterested to watch. 

Mouni Roy?🥱
Ur-Miserable thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Thursday was always gonna be low, these two are not typical BB which appeals to people so much that they will go even during working days.
I think today's holiday in many states might help, especially SJ.
[B]
Hoping the weekend is going to be fine for both the movies.
Both should collect at least 40 crores each in three days to have some impact.
Silpa20 thumbnail
IPL 2023 Match Winner Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 9
Its a huge drop.Hope the collections pick up in the weekend.
MostlyHarmIess thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Atleast wait for the weekend. Most films drop on the second day if they release on a weekday holiday.